[Event] Durbie Dash

Ernst Viljoen

9 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

*bump*

Online entries close at midnight!

Tried to do a entry for the 6km trail run just now and I get an Event Closed message.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Rudii said:

Tried to do a entry for the 6km trail run just now and I get an Event Closed message.

tx for letting me know - will check quickly

On 7/9/2024 at 1:43 PM, Skubarra said:

The gravel routes

We were given access to a few of the local farms and the condition for access is no gpx files to be published.

I'm not doing the gravel so no skin in the game, but are you at least emailing the entrants a gpx file? Would be a weird condition if not allowed to share it at all since all of them will gps record it and then have access to it afterwards.  

Come to think of it, even the publishing limitation is weird since I can create a route from someone else's strava upload. Farmers not understanding the "modern" tech methinks... 😆

1 minute ago, bleedToWin said:

I'm not doing the gravel so no skin in the game, but are you at least emailing the entrants a gpx file? Would be a weird condition if not allowed to share it at all since all of them will gps record it and then have access to it afterwards.  

Come to think of it, even the publishing limitation is weird since I can create a route from someone else's strava upload. Farmers not understanding the "modern" tech methinks... 😆

I agree with you, and I do all my gravel races with a gpx file loaded on my garmin.

But around Durbanville cycling access to farms is a super sensitive issue, and the farmers have a genuine problem with entitled cyclists rogue riding on their properties. Some farmers straight out refused to even talk to us about crossing their farms. So not distributing gpx files its a small gesture from our side showing that we take their concerns seriously and at least prevent people from doing route recces before the race...

8 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

snip ...

Farmers not understanding the "modern" tech methinks... 😆

Looking at some of the Tygerberg communications, it seems a few riders are intent on ignoring arrangements with farmers.  Riding away from designated routes, riding outside of approved times.

These may be club members ...

These may be rogue riders ....

Sadly, these ARE some of the Cub Guides !!  Swearing at trail runners for pointing out your behaviour does even less for the club's image.

As much as you are technically correct @bleedToWin the approval from farmers are fragile at best ....

Let's hope everyone plays nicely, during the event and more importantly for the rest of the year.  We are only guests on these farms .....

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

As much as you are technically correct @bleedToWin the approval from farmers are fragile at best ....

Let's hope everyone plays nicely, during the event and more importantly for the rest of the year

Perhaps the GPX decision can be more than a gesture and actually serve as a reminder that this is one time access and you as the rider are an invited guest on race day only. 👍

8 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Perhaps the GPX decision can be more than a gesture and actually serve as a reminder that this is one time access and you as the rider are an invited guest on race day only. 👍

I'll suggest that for next year, I think we are at the point that distributing gpx files are standard for gravel races. In our case it just comes with a few complications...

4 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Looking at some of the Tygerberg communications, it seems a few riders are intent on ignoring arrangements with farmers.  Riding away from designated routes, riding outside of approved times.

These may be club members ...

These may be rogue riders ....

Sadly, these ARE some of the Cub Guides !!  Swearing at trail runners for pointing out your behaviour does even less for the club's image.

Let's hope everyone plays nicely, during the event and more importantly for the rest of the year.  We are only guests on these farms .....

I wont elaborate….but sometimes the rogue riders and ‘trail guides’ are indistinguishable 👀😅.
Don’t be too quick to think its only those darn sendy kids or entitled ex golf players.

Ive witnessed this first hand at trails I personally frequent. Healthy dose of rules for ‘us’ vs rules for ‘everyone else’….

5 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I wont elaborate….but sometimes the rogue riders and ‘trail guides’ are indistinguishable 👀😅.
Don’t be too quick to think its only those darn sendy kids or entitled ex golf players.

Ive witnessed this first hand at trails I personally frequent. Healthy dose of rules for ‘us’ vs rules for ‘everyone else’….

These were two Tygerberg club GUIDES .....

EDIT ... on second thought, let's rather get back to the topic of a fun day for all cyclists and runners.

Edited by ChrisF

19 hours ago, ChrisF said:

let's rather get back to the topic of a fun day for all cyclists and runners.

Ek sien klaar uit vir my melkie by die einde!

32 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Ek sien klaar uit vir my melkie by die einde!

If all the parents in the country didn't oppose the BELA act we could have sold beers at the finish 😂

Entries up on last year (ignoring the gravel) & weather looks decent - should be a good vibe and ride on Saturday.

Very good road race in A batch. Must say this was probably one of the better behaved bunches I can recall. Minimal white line crossing and silly riding (except a small bit towards the end on Adderley...blame tiredness). The start chute management wasn't as well organized as previous years but once we got rolling there were no issues.

I was a bit disappointed at the number of riders that chucked their litter though 😠. Cmon guys...you have back pockets.

Kudos to all the guys who worked in the front. Jean did a lot of work, not sure who else helped there - I was a shameless hanger-on, but that was all my current fitness allowed 😁. Still managed to hang until the last climb, so I'm happy. 

All and all a good day out, thanks to the organizers!

On 10/7/2024 at 10:24 AM, Skubarra said:

I'll suggest that for next year, I think we are at the point that distributing gpx files are standard for gravel races. In our case it just comes with a few complications...

Route marking was excellent so there really isn't a need for a gpx file. The route was fantastic too. 

Funny, I was feeling it had a bit too much tar in the beginning as I run very soft tyres, but quite enjoyed the 'free' miles on the way back. Lol. 

The finish line could be a bit more of an event. Maybe say "finish" on it. Haha. 

36 minutes ago, JacquesJ said:

Very good road race in A batch. Must say this was probably one of the better behaved bunches I can recall. Minimal white line crossing and silly riding (except a small bit towards the end on Adderley...blame tiredness). The start chute management wasn't as well organized as previous years but once we got rolling there were no issues.

I was a bit disappointed at the number of riders that chucked their litter though 😠. Cmon guys...you have back pockets.

Kudos to all the guys who worked in the front. Jean did a lot of work, not sure who else helped there - I was a shameless hanger-on, but that was all my current fitness allowed 😁. Still managed to hang until the last climb, so I'm happy. 

All and all a good day out, thanks to the organizers!

Also rode in A. Weather made for a nice day out. Not the most challenging route, but good average speed.

Really impressed with the bike marshall.