Paris Olympic MTB 2024 - ALAN you biscuit!!!

Shebeen

16 minutes ago, Kuys said:

Its actually Porte wheels

https://www.rideporte.com/

I see they're a new company based in Belgium. They primarily show Candice on their testimonials, so they don't appear to have many other athletes using them yet.

They report their rim weights in a large range, 250 - 290 grams, depending on finish. That's also super light. And they are priced even lower than South Industries XC rims, directly converted. About R8k each.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

The course was designed to a brief in that it had to be World Cup level but also needed to be able to accommodate, with minor changes, revisions that allowed it be used for local and provincial races catering to riders from novice to professional level. The Course needed to be hard wearing and not promote excessive erosion , hence the gravel surface. Basis the desire for the course to remain useful into the future It appears the course designer hit a great balance between technical challenge and raceability. And as you correctly state it's built on a rehabilitated quarry, not in the Alps, Nick did a fantastic job with it.

Some riders, like Pidcock and Richards complained about it, yet she barely featured in the race today coming home a distant 5th was it? The course claimed Lecomte, Lill's back wheel, Battens back wheel and Pieterse's tyre. Quite a few riders were lapped so it was more than enough of a physical challenge. PFP killed the course and the course killed her opposition.

So don't rise to5 the goading of members of the forum who aren't QUALIFIED to comment. Nick has built 3 Olympic XCO courses (, Rio, Tokyo and Paris?) and has fulfilled his brief everytime. It looked like a lekker course to race. Wide enough in many places to overtake, mutiple line choices were available and the B line and A lines took similar time to navigate. 

Sounds like mission accomplished

Might be mistaken but think Sina Frei also had a wheel issue ?

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

because if you cared to read the "triggered response"  you will have read that the course is built in a rehabilitated quarry into which many endangered species have been reintroduced. The natural ground is in some areas quite sensitive  and therefore to satisfy the EIA had to have the gravel layer added to ensure that the sensitive soil below is not eroded. I'm sure the city of Paris will provide you with their reasoned decision if you mail them nicely

I read an informative article months ago so I was well aware it was an ex-rubbish tip. No need to digest a triggered response then.  I'm sure they didn't want the pungent odour of decomposing Gallic trash permeating the feed zone, but judging by the lovely trees and shrubs on the hill of waste, it appears that the garbage was covered with a healthy layer of soil. It would have been better to run the race on a nice earthy track and then  gravel it over after wards for the local punters. Not Nick Floros' fault I'm sure. 

23 hours ago, dewaldsss said:

Lill - Smashed rear wheel.... 😭

Apparently her carbon rim burst in two places. She over a drop off, landed on a rock and her rim just exploded. 

I hope not but have a feeling that piddy might put in the hurt in the latter and ride away...

Hope Alan isn't burning too many matches in the first laps...

7 minutes ago, sias said:

Hope Alan isn't burning too many matches in the first laps...

Pidcock is in a mission!

15 minutes ago, babse said:

I hope not but have a feeling that piddy might put in the hurt in the latter and ride away...

He seems impatient...

Edited by splat

Koretzsky is matching Pidcock at the moment...Alan looking fine at 3 at the moment...