Trek launch Checkmate SLR gravel race bike

News bot

14 minutes ago, babse said:

and sold out

Spotted on suikers a couple of days ago ;) 

13 minutes ago, HdB said:

I've gotten to the point where my brain just goes "nevermind, next!" when it sees the high prices.
No point in getting excited about it if I can't see myself ever spending that much money on the particular area. R200k+ bike, or car that costs more than my house? Not even interested in reading/watching the review. R150mil mansion in Camps Bay? No, clickbait headline, it is in fact not something that I MUST SEE.
The good condition used Scalpels or Cyphers in the classifieds for less that R40k? Far more interesting

My wife loves "window shopping" on property sites. Likes to send me links to property. I keep telling her, "whats the point, we cant afford it" . But she seems to love it.

3 hours ago, Headshot said:

Gotta love these obscenely expensive bikes. Keep em coming Trek/Spesh/?? I'm sure we can break 300k for a road bike real soon.

We’ve broken that mark looong ago mate.. last Christmas I saw a bianchi for 320k

pinarelo with new sram red for R309 999, I think it was just the other month at the entrance to cycle lab.. 

Went into trek design quarter very quickly this afternoon for a squizz.. new madone looks awesome.. 🤣🤣

Chaps, you clearly only pretend to know about bikes because you insist on looking at the wrong ones. It's pretty obvious that the new alloy Checkpoint is the one Trek made for the price whingers (even if you have to wait 5 years for it show up in the Classifieds). Save R215,000, bargain!

14 minutes ago, Nick said:

Chaps, you clearly only pretend to know about bikes because you insist on looking at the wrong ones. It's pretty obvious that the new alloy Checkpoint is the one Trek made for the price whingers (even if you have to wait 5 years for it show up in the Classifieds). Save R215,000, bargain!

clickbait :) 

44 minutes ago, Nick said:

To be fair, the article only mentions the ALR models at the pricing and availability, no other details mentioned ;)

Seriously though - when I first read the article, I saw the price of the ALR4, scrolled back up to see if I had missed something, found nothing and... went on with my day and forgot to go check the Trek website.

1 hour ago, Bike Dewing said:

We’ve broken that mark looong ago mate.. last Christmas I saw a bianchi for 320k

pinarelo with new sram red for R309 999, I think it was just the other month at the entrance to cycle lab.. 

The Colnago's and Pinerello's aren't listed locally as they are usually custom built

image.png.73d22d3008abb5c0bc63262d846ee51a.png

12 minutes ago, HdB said:

To be fair, the article only mentions the ALR models at the pricing and availability, no other details mentioned ;)

Seriously though - when I first read the article, I saw the price of the ALR4, scrolled back up to see if I had missed something, found nothing and... went on with my day and forgot to go check the Trek website.

Pretty sure the one mentioned at R75k is not an ALR model

6 minutes ago, peetwindhoek said:

Pretty sure the one mentioned at R75k is not an ALR model

Sorry, I meant that the ALR models were not mentioned elsewhere in the article

according to 99 spokes, that ALR4 is going to have Apex 11 speed, and mechanical discs.
its a great groupset, but its nearly a decade old, and 40k with cable discs - people need to be imprisoned for that.

those current gen ALR's going on sale are looking great value in comparison

14 hours ago, Headshot said:

Gotta love these obscenely expensive bikes. Keep em coming Trek/Spesh/?? I'm sure we can break 300k for a road bike real soon.

wonder what will come first. R300K road bike or R100k groupset👀,,,,,, sorry R400K bikes 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Mongoose!

Strange times. Release a flood of cheap bikes that are so "last year's thing" and three weeks later announce the next wave of bikes with absurdly dear price tags. 

I understand why but it really does seem like madness.

• 2 weeks later...