Advice on the right long travel bike

Scott roy

I started cycling a few years ago and as is the case with most South African cyclists, I got into xc. Since then I’ve moved overseas to a country with no xc culture. So far I’ve met just one other guy and he spends most of his time in Greece anyway. 

Due to this I’m not riding my xc bike, I’m mostly just riding my road bike for fitness. There is a fair amount of trail riding around however after a single attempt I realised it’s not going to work on my bike, my brakes couldn’t handle the massive descents, the geo just doesn’t work and I had to walk a fair amount. It took an hour and a half to get down 11km

I am currently in SA and I’m considering getting a more trail oriented bike. However I don’t know what would be too much or o little. For some idea ,the main trail network I would be riding is on a single mountain, trails range from 7-14km and descend between 1 200 and 1 400m with between 0 and 250m elevation gain. The going is extremely steep with some sections of trails averaging -25% or more and lots of steep drop offs. There are also a couple of jump lines with some road gaps and other technical stuff. 

What bike would probably be the king of the roost here? I’m not really worried about riding up the mountain as I would just catch the bus or the weekend shuttles. 

the two main bikes I’m looking at are 1, a spez stumpjumper evo and 2, a spez enduro. Also on my radar is a Commencal Meta AM. 

is the enduro too much? A friend of mine is pushing me in that direction but I don’t know if it’s overkill and perhaps a bit long for the tighter corners and such. 

I have ridden a lot of SA trails on xc bikes and never felt it was too much but the mountains where I now live are just something else. 

Sounds like you need a DH bike as opposed to an Enduro style set up

Commencal, Intense (😍), Santa Cruz etc is where I'd start hunting, and will look for a 200mm+ rear travel set up, possibly even in a mullet if needed

And safety gear - I'd definatley invest in good safety gear, XC spandex wont do much on an OTb for you 

DH bike is a one trick pony. If you are committing yourself to never having to ride up any hill ever…then yes. If not, get a 160-180mm travel bike because you COULD then peddle the thing around if you had too. 

I realise I was maybe thinking on the conservative side. As @MORNE  says, the dh bike’s are not pedalling friendly (as far as I know) and as I mentioned there is some uphill in the trails. 

I have tested a stumpy evo last year in Paarl and i absolutely loved it. Is it enough bike or is it just right though? That was my only experience with a long travel non e bike. 
I do like the spez enduro a lot but I was concerned its perhaps a bit too much bike for my needs as I don’t think I’ll be hitting massive jumps or so on, just going down absurdly steep mountain side. A couple of reviews I read mentioned that it isn’t as playful as the stumpy and is a bit long for tight corners and so on. Any thoughts on the matter? 

27 minutes ago, 117 said:

Sounds like you need a DH bike as opposed to an Enduro style set up

Commencal, Intense (😍), Santa Cruz etc is where I'd start hunting, and will look for a 200mm+ rear travel set up, possibly even in a mullet if needed

And safety gear - I'd definatley invest in good safety gear, XC spandex wont do much on an OTb for you 

You may have a point, I’d say the most common bike brand I’ve seen on the trails there is Santa Cruz 

Enduro wont be as playfull as a stumpy. Stumpy will climb better, turn better on tight trails too. The enduro is also old and due to be replaced by a new model…like the stump jumper evo has already. But if that doesnt bother you, good deals to be had on both. 

look, many of us ride 170mm enduro bikes around the western cape. Do the trails call for them. No. Is it nice taking a heavy, tedious shotgun to a knife fight? For sure!

Edited by MORNE

2 hours ago, Scott roy said:

Since then I’ve moved overseas to a country with no xc culture.

where have you moved to?

23 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Enduro wont be as playfull as a stumpy. Stumpy will climb better, turn better on tight trails too. The enduro is also old and due to be replaced by a new model…like the stump jumper evo has already. But if that doesnt bother you, good deals to be had on both. 

look, many of us ride 170mm enduro bikes around the western cape. Do the trails call for them. No. Is it nice taking a heavy, tedious shotgun to a knife fight? For sure!

I don’t want something outdated no, but the enduro geo is pretty respectable even by todays standards (my opinion) 

I’ll be buying second hand on the hub so unfortunately the budget won’t be stretching for the new stumpy. 

maybe a daft question, but in what situation would i choose a enduro over the stumpy given your listed points? If the going is steeper? Lots of rocks? 

5 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

where have you moved to?

The tiny country of Georgia 

Just now, Scott roy said:

I don’t want something outdated no, but the enduro geo is pretty respectable even by todays standards (my opinion) 

I’ll be buying second hand on the hub so unfortunately the budget won’t be stretching for the new stumpy. 

maybe a daft question, but in what situation would i choose a enduro over the stumpy given your listed points? If the going is steeper? Lots of rocks? 

Rocks + speed , when going through a small rock garden unexpectedly the enduro will truck through while the stumpy might get nervous. 

On steeps I'd take either 

I started cycling a few years ago and as is the case with most South African cyclists, I got into xc. Since then I’ve moved overseas to a country with no xc culture. So far I’ve met just one other guy and he spends most of his time in Greece anyway. 

Due to this I’m not riding my xc bike, I’m mostly just riding my road bike for fitness. There is a fair amount of trail riding around however after a single attempt I realised it’s not going to work on my bike, my brakes couldn’t handle the massive descents, the geo just doesn’t work and I had to walk a fair amount. It took an hour and a half to get down 11km

I am currently in SA and I’m considering getting a more trail oriented bike. However I don’t know what would be too much or o little. For some idea ,the main trail network I would be riding is on a single mountain, trails range from 7-14km and descend between 1 200 and 1 400m with between 0 and 250m elevation gain. The going is extremely steep with some sections of trails averaging -25% or more and lots of steep drop offs. There are also a couple of jump lines with some road gaps and other technical stuff. 

What bike would probably be the king of the roost here? I’m not really worried about riding up the mountain as I would just catch the bus or the weekend shuttles. 

the two main bikes I’m looking at are 1, a spez stumpjumper evo and 2, a spez enduro. Also on my radar is a Commencal Meta AM. 

is the enduro too much? A friend of mine is pushing me in that direction but I don’t know if it’s overkill and perhaps a bit long for the tighter corners and such. 

I have ridden a lot of SA trails on xc bikes and never felt it was too much but the mountains where I now live are just something else. 

Wouldn’t a hoe and spade be cheaper to build new trails rather than a new bike…?

12 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Wouldn’t a hoe and spade be cheaper to build new trails rather than a new bike…?

I think the time has come to embrace my new surroundings 😂 plus I’ve always loved trail riding, however in sa that’s mostly doable on an xc bike 

Speed. A trail bike (Stumpy) can handle a lot in terms of steepness and rocky descending. If you going to be hitting rock gardens and g outs at EWS (pros) speeds I would get an Enduro bike. But if you not getting close to the speeds of top riders, I think you'll get more joy out of a Trail bike in the 140 to 160mm travel category. 

Giant Trance X, Santa Cruz Hightower, Spez Srumpy etc. 

3 hours ago, Scott roy said:

The tiny country of Georgia 

Okay so probably no chair lifts? Regardless just get a 150mm trail or 160 to 170mm enduro  bike. The geo and fit is probably more important than travel but bikes like the Stumpjumper pedal well enough according to the reviews. If you have cash to burn look at the Ibis HD6. Pedals very well and gets rave reviews online. 

3 hours ago, Scott roy said:

As mentioned by the others already…the enduro bike will just delete rough sections at speed.  I use this feature to make up for my lack of skill haha. I own a Forbidden Dreadnaught 170/160 (yes the name alone took my money), but in hindsight i should have gotten the Druid instead (150/140mm). But i still love my Dreadsled. Life’s too short not to ride too much travel on a blue trail😅

Edited by MORNE