The Parent=captain:kid=stoker tandem cycling thread

I have done 25+ Argusses. which means I have probably seen it all. I have done the ride in jeanpant, on a fixie, with a lifejacket, charity buggy, carrying a blowup doll for a batchelors (not all the same year). 

Next year I am doing it with my 10yr old bikebevok laaitie slipstreaming and soft pedalling my efforts. We have the entry, but not the bike (yet).

I know there will be endless "the kid on the back isn't pedalling" chirps. Beyond that, i know zip about riding tandems.

this thread is more about the couple tandem vibe. 

The best thing about the Argus, I still have more to learn! I searched, and there doesn't seem to be much info on going from a competent biker to a tandem captain with your preteen kid on the back. Surely there are many many who have gone down this route, and plenty who did it in the Argus too.

Share your knowledge people!

So many tandems out at the CTCT.  I do know I have slowed down a couple of times to encourage the kids on the tandems.

Somehow only have these two pics of younger riders on the back ....

CTCT2024-164.jpg.56773451e27138f47194c924f66e6f4f.jpg

CTCT2024-247.jpg.cfc22b833f9b1244b43523039f0598b0.jpg

These two ladies were ENJOYING their ride, and absolutely came flying down this section .....

CTCT2024-220.jpg.a0934f123ef38d33b9b8297b7880f97a.jpg

Sorry, not kids, but the way they were laughing out loud reminds of kids having fun.

@BuffsVintageBikes knows a gent that has done a lap or two on a tandem (now if ever there was an understatement) ..... pretty sure Mark might still know where to get hold of a tandem .....

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I have done 25+ Argusses. which means I have probably seen it all. I have done the ride in jeanpant, on a fixie, with a lifejacket, charity buggy, carrying a blowup doll for a batchelors (not all the same year). 

Next year I am doing it with my 10yr old bikebevok laaitie slipstreaming and soft pedalling my efforts. We have the entry, but not the bike (yet).

I know there will be endless "the kid on the back isn't pedalling" chirps. Beyond that, i know zip about riding tandems.

this thread is more about the couple tandem vibe. 

The best thing about the Argus, I still have more to learn! I searched, and there doesn't seem to be much info on going from a competent biker to a tandem captain with your preteen kid on the back. Surely there are many many who have gone down this route, and plenty who did it in the Argus too.

Did 2 with my youngest son when he was 15 and 16 respectively.  Best memories .  Ride so that he wants to do it again . And again.

Following. Planning to do the same with my eldest in 2 years time - currently too young for entry. Bought a old tandem last year and busy re-building. Can’t wait to take the boys (will aim to do this with all my kids) for a spin around the Cape.

If you have a youngster who is even remotely interested, JUST DO IT!

Some of my very best CTCT memories were made riding tandem with my two when they were 10 and 11 respectively. I wasn't sure how keen they would be in the longer term so I bought a cheapish second hand road tandem from the Bikehub Classifieds. A couple of years later they were both keen to ride on their own bikes, so I made the only mistake of our whole tandem experience, I sold it! I should have just kept it, because before too long (around now?) I think they would enjoy riding tandem with me again......this time with me as stoker! 

Because school sports kept them too busy for a proper cycling training programme, and they had a decent level of fitness, we simply did every Sunday PPA race from about this time of year until March. We started with the shorter (50 - 60 km) races and built up to the 100 km ones. It also helped that I was in great form at the time and could basically do all the pulling. If there was an open week afternoon, we did shorter rides on the MTBs.  The training was not very structured and I went to a lot of trouble to keep it fun. Ice cream afterwards, stop for cold drinks and stuff like that. I also cut rides short if I saw that they were suffering or getting gatvol and I pushed very gently if at all.

I found that especially my one son ran out of energy very suddenly and had to work out the right kind of nutrition / energy drink for him and keep reminding him to drink and eat jelly babies regularly or he would just bonk suddenly. The other one never struggled with that. One also has to watch them for dehydration and overheating, especially on those hot summer rides.

For race day I got us special matching jerseys and our aim was simply to go have fun and finish. We started very late, so knew we were going to be out there in the worst of the heat and the wind. We packed sandwiches and stopped near Cape Point for a stretch and lunch and cheered people riding past before continuing. Up to that point it was all easy. From Chappies onwards they got a bit quieter and I knew it was time for a boost, so we stopped in Hout Bay for Coke, a MASSIVE treat because they were not used to Coke......and that gave the energy that got them to the finish with a smile. It's not called the Red Ambulance for nothing!

And if they want to dress up in a crazy costume, just do that too! The aim is to have fun, so, just whack your own ego over the head. 

Just one warning, do not let them wear a costume that includes a CAPE ......... because they WILL make a parachute out of it ..........and YOU won't notice what is going on behind your back until it is too late and you are about to drop dead from exhaustion pulling that parachute for miles and miles into a headwind! So, NO Batman or Superman. 

Don't ask how I learnt this!

how do you deal with the size difference between an adult and a 10 year old in terms of bike fit ?

Thanks for the tag @Shebeen

And all of a sudden, FOMO kicks in... Won't be participating this year because we start fasting about a week before the CTCT.

That said, just typing this response puts a smile on my face. Nothing better than a reflecting on good memories. I did the tour with my wife twice. The first time was a bit strenuous, mainly because we only rode the tandem 4 times before the tour. Last year was much, much better. We put in more training hours and got our communication in order. My wife even got to the point of asking, what was our max speed downhill!!? (she doesnt do mtb enduro with me, so i'm not sure where that adrenaline junkie vibes came from. lol)

There's no better feeling when your stoker is chatting away, taking videos of the views, and passing you snacks whilst cycling. Its never about the race time for us, its about enjoying the gees from start to finish... suffering together, and then laughing and congratulating each other when we peak those climbs! Best of all, are those cyclist that chip in when they pass us - I simply love the fact that 2 people on a single bike can spark a conversation out of thin air towards a fellow stranger.

I did the 46km Durbie Dash with my 14yr old daughter a couple of weeks go. Boy oh boy, did she enjoy it. She was chatting away about the cows on the farms, birds flying next to us, watching the eagles, and simply enjoying the views. Funny enough, she asked me at the 43km mark: "daddy, is it weird that i'm not sweating!?" - that said it all!!

The tandem for me, has been my best investment. My youngest daughter will get her chance in 2 years time. For now, she just gets on and keeps her feet on the top tube while I zip around the block  every now and then.

What i've learned since joining the tandem club:

1. Make sure you communicate clearly with your stoker: stopping, coasting, turning left or right and more importantly when you're about to power the gas to overtake...

2. If you dont tell the stoker when you're about to put the pedal down hard, you risk them losing their footing on the pedal (if not clipped in)

3. Make the stoker feel more useful during the rides (especially if they are young). Ask them to check if there is any oncoming cyclist before you overtake. Ask them to open the snacks for you that you store in the jersey pocket. Ask them to check your average speed and distance (if they have a gadget infront of them or on their wrist to do so). It makes them feel more useful during the rides.

4. Do not forget to stop and take pics - selfie pics!! because ten or twenty years from now, those pictures will definitely spark a lovely conversation! I've got loads of pics, but here are three images that summarizes my short tandem experience to date....

Chappies2023.jpg.9932e8e11ff6c91b614df88fe7759531.jpg

Top of Chappies 2023... (Wife)

Chappies2024.jpg.160cc416ec9967c386af87c7c9097bbf.jpg

Top of Chappies 2024... (Wife)

DurbieDash2024.jpg.ad78e20559b81239a76e0d0f05c55592.jpg

Durbie Dash 2024... (Daughter)

54 minutes ago, DJR said:

If you have a youngster who is even remotely interested, JUST DO IT!

Some of my very best CTCT memories were made riding tandem with my two when they were 10 and 11 respectively. I wasn't sure how keen they would be in the longer term so I bought a cheapish second hand road tandem from the Bikehub Classifieds. A couple of years later they were both keen to ride on their own bikes, so I made the only mistake of our whole tandem experience, I sold it! I should have just kept it, because before too long (around now?) I think they would enjoy riding tandem with me again......this time with me as stoker! 

Because school sports kept them too busy for a proper cycling training programme, and they had a decent level of fitness, we simply did every Sunday PPA race from about this time of year until March. We started with the shorter (50 - 60 km) races and built up to the 100 km ones. It also helped that I was in great form at the time and could basically do all the pulling. If there was an open week afternoon, we did shorter rides on the MTBs.  The training was not very structured and I went to a lot of trouble to keep it fun. Ice cream afterwards, stop for cold drinks and stuff like that. I also cut rides short if I saw that they were suffering or getting gatvol and I pushed very gently if at all.

I found that especially my one son ran out of energy very suddenly and had to work out the right kind of nutrition / energy drink for him and keep reminding him to drink and eat jelly babies regularly or he would just bonk suddenly. The other one never struggled with that. One also has to watch them for dehydration and overheating, especially on those hot summer rides.

For race day I got us special matching jerseys and our aim was simply to go have fun and finish. We started very late, so knew we were going to be out there in the worst of the heat and the wind. We packed sandwiches and stopped near Cape Point for a stretch and lunch and cheered people riding past before continuing. Up to that point it was all easy. From Chappies onwards they got a bit quieter and I knew it was time for a boost, so we stopped in Hout Bay for Coke, a MASSIVE treat because they were not used to Coke......and that gave the energy that got them to the finish with a smile. It's not called the Red Ambulance for nothing!

Rapid Sports and Anatomic does matching cycling kit for kids and parents 👍

2 hours ago, Black Line said:

Thanks for the tag @Shebeen

And all of a sudden, FOMO kicks in... Won't be participating this year because we start fasting about a week before the CTCT.

That said, just typing this response puts a smile on my face. Nothing better than a reflecting on good memories. I did the tour with my wife twice. The first time was a bit strenuous, mainly because we only rode the tandem 4 times before the tour. Last year was much, much better. We put in more training hours and got our communication in order. My wife even got to the point of asking, what was our max speed downhill!!? (she doesnt do mtb enduro with me, so i'm not sure where that adrenaline junkie vibes came from. lol)

There's no better feeling when your stoker is chatting away, taking videos of the views, and passing you snacks whilst cycling. Its never about the race time for us, its about enjoying the gees from start to finish... suffering together, and then laughing and congratulating each other when we peak those climbs! Best of all, are those cyclist that chip in when they pass us - I simply love the fact that 2 people on a single bike can spark a conversation out of thin air towards a fellow stranger.

I did the 46km Durbie Dash with my 14yr old daughter a couple of weeks go. Boy oh boy, did she enjoy it. She was chatting away about the cows on the farms, birds flying next to us, watching the eagles, and simply enjoying the views. Funny enough, she asked me at the 43km mark: "daddy, is it weird that i'm not sweating!?" - that said it all!!

The tandem for me, has been my best investment. My youngest daughter will get her chance in 2 years time. For now, she just gets on and keeps her feet on the top tube while I zip around the block  every now and then.

What i've learned since joining the tandem club:

1. Make sure you communicate clearly with your stoker: stopping, coasting, turning left or right and more importantly when you're about to power the gas to overtake...

2. If you dont tell the stoker when you're about to put the pedal down hard, you risk them losing their footing on the pedal (if not clipped in)

3. Make the stoker feel more useful during the rides (especially if they are young). Ask them to check if there is any oncoming cyclist before you overtake. Ask them to open the snacks for you that you store in the jersey pocket. Ask them to check your average speed and distance (if they have a gadget infront of them or on their wrist to do so). It makes them feel more useful during the rides.

4. Do not forget to stop and take pics - selfie pics!! because ten or twenty years from now, those pictures will definitely spark a lovely conversation! I've got loads of pics, but here are three images that summarizes my short tandem experience to date....

Chappies2023.jpg.9932e8e11ff6c91b614df88fe7759531.jpg

Top of Chappies 2023... (Wife)

Chappies2024.jpg.160cc416ec9967c386af87c7c9097bbf.jpg

Top of Chappies 2024... (Wife)

DurbieDash2024.jpg.ad78e20559b81239a76e0d0f05c55592.jpg

Durbie Dash 2024... (Daughter)

awesome post

thanks for sharing