Song of the day, add your current favourite....

SwissVan

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One for the guitar-gurus... what guitar is being used? Assume some kind of bass guitar.
And my knowledge of guitars, on a scale of 1-10, is about 0.

Many indie-rock and some alternative rock bands have a distinctive sound from one, maybe two, types of guitars. The best example I could find is 1979, Smashing Pumpkins (last song playing when I parked at work this morning).

I know some of Pearl Jam has a similar sound - just trying to find the right song.

One for the guitar-gurus... what guitar is being used? Assume some kind of bass guitar.

And my knowledge of guitars, on a scale of 1-10, is about 0.

Many indie-rock and some alternative rock bands have a distinctive sound from one, maybe two, types of guitars. The best example I could find is 1979, Smashing Pumpkins (last song playing when I parked at work this morning).

I know some of Pearl Jam has a similar sound - just trying to find the right song.

what part are you referring to?. that beginning riff? The bass on 1979 is very subtle and as far as I am aware is mirrored by the rhythm guitar. but its pretty much standard bass player.

i would say pretty much all indie/alternative bass riffs have been influenced in part by Kim Deal or Kim Gordon...but that is a slight generalisation!

Edited by Stretch

Somewhere at the end of last year i missed the release of this album..but quickly catching up before the follow on album "salutations" being released on my birthday in March. An incredibly reflective album understandably because of the following reason:

‘Ruminations' is one of Conor Oberst's most personal records — and it was a surprise, even for its creator. He didn't intend to make an album — he was trying to recover from exhaustion after he was rattled by a health scare, a cyst on his brain. But when he left New York, N.Y., and moved back to his hometown of Omaha, Neb., the songs started coming. He recorded ‘Ruminations' on piano, guitar and harmonica in 48 hours during the winter after he moved home. The result is a collection of brave, dark songs that confront Oberst's thoughts during that time head-on. 

what part are you referring to?. that beginning riff? The bass on 1979 is very subtle and as far as I am aware is mirrored by the rhythm guitar. but its pretty much standard bass player.

i would say pretty much all indie/alternative bass riffs have been influenced in part by Kim Deal or Kim Gordon...but that is a slight generalisation!

After the beginning riff, just before the lyrics start, and it plays for most of the song.

It's a very distinctive tone - difficult to explain, but if heard I can identify it immediately.

The Cure - Just Like Heaven (24 seconds into the song), has that distinct tone while Friday in Love doesn't.

After the beginning riff, just before the lyrics start, and it plays for most of the song.

It's a very distinctive tone - difficult to explain, but if heard I can identify it immediately.

The Cure - Just Like Heaven (24 seconds into the song), has that distinct tone while Friday in Love doesn't.

It sounds to me as though you're recognising the eq/flange effect especially on Just Like Heaven.

Is this the type of thing you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnDjtRP1Azs

This was played on the radio this morning. I even stayed up in my car after getting to work to finish listening to it loud :)

So beautiful

This was played on the radio this morning. I even stayed up in my car after getting to work to finish listening to it loud :)

So beautiful

lekker cover

this live in new york version by bruce himself always gets me

lekker cover

this live in new york version by bruce himself always gets me

Yup he does a good job, but he's no Tom Waits.