Radio 702 this morning

cat-i

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I sort of listened to it, but I dont really pay much attention as most often its just the same old thing been re-hashed by someone who just wants to get on air.

One point a lady made was quite valid though and not too often thought about................she said that she finds it very irritating when every Sat. a big group riding down Ontdekkers at about 8am kind of swarms all over the intersections, in between the cars and forcing their way to the front, then they pull off SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOWLY causing a massive traffic jam behind as cars have to wait for them to clear.

...........something we should think about maybe.??

In the Citizen two stories this morning one about ex cyclist nailing us and the other a picture of 11 year old killed by taxi driver with an invalid licence 13 year old friend injured out in Katlehong.'Taxi driver states he seen the kids to late to swerve".

Widget regarding the cyclists on Ondekkers in that big group at around 08H00 on a Saturday does not surprise me as they do it all the time when using this road, I have witnessed this several times as well,funny part is you cannot tell them anything as they know better as one responded when told to stop their tricks, same group thinks they OWN the new road down at Sterkfontein after crossing the gravel patch to Beyers Naude, amazing thing is their marshalls have bibs on yet they allowed to ride across the whole of the road moving to the left only when the motorbikes or occassional car passes. Will try and get a pic the next time I see them.

"Moderators will this be allowed to be posted?"

Yes Mallo, interesting, because the lady on 702 also mentioned that once she had hooted, and got the proverbial "finger."

In the Citizen two stories this morning one about ex cyclist nailing us and the other a picture of 11 year old killed by taxi driver with an invalid licence 13 year old friend injured out in Katlehong.'Taxi driver states he seen the kids to late to swerve".

Widget regarding the cyclists on Ondekkers in that big group at around 08H00 on a Saturday does not surprise me as they do it all the time when using this road' date=' I have witnessed this several times as well,funny part is you cannot tell them anything as they know better as one responded when told to stop their tricks, same group thinks they OWN the new road down at Sterkfontein after crossing the gravel patch to Beyers Naude, amazing thing is their marshalls have bibs on yet they allowed to ride across the whole of the road moving to the left only when the motorbikes or occassional car passes. Will try and get a pic the next time I see them.

"Moderators will this be allowed to be posted?"

[/quote']

isn't this group the Barloworld group /ex BW group that used to start from Townsquare? If its them , ya, they've been around for a couple of years now and ya, seams everybodys complaining about them. No helmets, all over the road, jump robots. And now that they're stopping, they hold up the traffic.ConfusedConfusedConfused

O hel maar julle kan moan.  En dit oor julle eie spesie.....Ermm

So.  We have a forum for cyclists, bashed by cyclists.  Interesting. 

My questions remain:

Will our complaining about cyclists help in ANY way?

Does the general non-cylcling public out there see the cyclists standing up for each other or is it a case of...."Ohh, they don't even like themselfs so why should we (the motorist/non-cyclist)?

So.  How is the weather?

large bunches of cyclists are going to get us banned never mind a bad name. when cyclelab were in Sea Point we had the same problem. if one rider got thru the intersection outside the waterfront , the whole bunch just followed no matter what the traffic lights were on. its mob mentality. as for "the finger" . if anyone in our bunch did that they wouldn't be riding again with us.

spinnekop, ja ons moan, want daar is altyd 'n paar idiote wat almal se naam swartsmeer(o.a die BW group hierbo bespreek). En ons kla oor die motoriste, daar is baie van hulle wat maar droogmaak, maar meer wat ons 'n spasie op die pad gun. Miskien moet hulle maar begin met 'n "campaign" om fietsryers te identifiseer en die droogmakers uit te wys. Maar ja, die polisie kan nie eens die verkeer beheer nie, en dan wil fietsryers ook nog hulle aandag h?. so ons kla maar om ons gevoelens te wys, alhoewel niks daarmomtrent gedoen gaan word nie.

Guest Michelle

So we should ride in a small groups & get knocked over?  Sure... what ever...  Let the motorists wait, we have as much right to the road as they do.  What if they were stuck behind a tractor?  Would they hoot, until the tractor moved over?  I don't think so.... seems like motorists forget about the concept of "overtaking" when coming up behind a cyclist. 

Mense wat moan oor groepe fietsryers kan netsowel gaan betoog om fietse heeltemal te verban van enige teerpaaie. Die feit van die saak is dat die meeste fietsryers wat raakgery word of op hulle eie of in klein groepies was. 'n Groot groep is meer sigbaar en ook nie so maklik om vanaf net weg te jaag as daar iets gebeur nie. Fietse is vervoermiddels net soos motors.

Die motors is veronderstel om verby te steek in die aankomende of regter baan wanneer dit veilig is. Daar is natuurlik iets soos ordentlike maniere maar dit het absoluut niks (IMHO) te doen met die hoeveelheid fietsryers wat raak gery word nie. Die aantal noodlottige voorvalle onlangs was meestal in die geelstreep en veroorsaak deur motoriste wat die wet oortree het. 

I agree with michelle when motorists get stck behind slow moving trucks and tractors they do not hoot and carry on they just have to wait until they can get past .

Ride nice, be considerate, smile.

Life's too short and could get shorter by acting the same way as the people we criticise.