Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Guys I heard of an attempted mugging of a friend Monday evening on bottlery road, now this just came in again on Bots.

post-3771-0-78023000-1490179437_thumb.jpg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it my imagination or is the number of attacks on cyclists way more in the Western Cape than in Gauteng at the moment?

!! Warning of Bike-jacking between Kommertjie and Witsand !!

On 23/03/2017 @ 05:20 am while cycling on Main road (M65) between Kommetjie and Slangkop Rd above Soetwater (directly above Scouts Camp) my cycling partner and I were forced off the road at gunpoint and bike-jacked.

We first noticed an old Datsun pickup, cream in colour with no number plates pass us slowly just past the Oceanview turnoff travelling in the direction of Kommetjie. We thought nothing of it and carried on with the ride. When we completed the climb out of Kommetjie toward Witsands, we noticed the pickup stationary in a Lay-by on the right hand side. At this point it appeared “strange” this early in the morning and stopped in the pitch dark, but we carried on. Shortly after passing the lay-by the pickup approached us slowly from the rear and overtook us. The driver then slowed down attempting to cut us off, the passenger door opened and the passenger pointed a gun toward us. My cycling partner immediately shouted "get off the road"!

We both hit the brakes hard, dismounted and fled down the steep bank into the bush toward the sea. I abandoned my bike, front light on and rear flashing light on. My cycling partner managed to keep his bike and hid with it in the bush. That took some acrobatic maneuvering since the terrain is steep, rocky, thick bush and being 05:20 approaching the end of March it was pitch dark. I on the other hand was not as light footed and ended up tumbling down the verge ending up with a sudden stop against some very hard rocks. Fortunately, I fell into a deep bush which concealed me from the assailants who had given chase and were hot on our heels down the bank.

For approximately 5 minutes the assailants searched for us in the bushes, and at times got within a few meters of us as we lay still and separated . They were speaking in Afrikaans and frequently shouting “Skiet, Skiet”.

When they realised that they would not find us, they loaded my bike in the pickup and drove away. The fact that they got the one bike probably saved us as they gave up looking for us and took off. After waiting a while to ensure they had definitely fled, we located each other and moved further down the mountain once reunited to where we could get cell phone signal.                                

I called Fish Hoek Emergency Centre who then relayed our situation to the Kommetjie neighborhood watch and the SA Police.

A few minutes later the Kommetjie neighborhood watch arrived and we climbed the bank and met them on the road. Both of us are extremely grateful for the support from Fish Hoek Emergency, Komwatch and the SAPS.

After that it was statements and medical, X-rays, etc.

We were fortunate to have escaped this incident as lightly as we did. We are aware that incidents of this nature can rapidly escalate to unimaginable levels. It should be noted that we ride this route at least twice a week and have done so for several years.

Such an unfortunate and disappointing situation. I guess this will be the end of early morning training sessions of this nature?

Be Safe, If it looks dodgy, it probably is!

post-35471-0-59158400-1490337057_thumb.png

Disgusting excuses for human beings. There is something seriously wrong when people can firstly attempt something like this and secondly do so, because the chances are good that they'll get away with it.

an old Datsun pickup, cream in colour with no number plates .....

its either out of oceanview or masi

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Hubbers, this morning someone got mugged at Paarden Eiland again.

There is no buses which means no disturbances.

So please wait for company before cycling this route.

Oh no.

Any more details? Where on the path? Hope they're OK.

More info please, especially RE time!

We noted this morning that there is no patrolling at all with the busses not running.

I rode as far as the Brewery from Town side at about 7 this morning and saw three cop cars - I thought "Great this feels safe" - must have been just after this incident.

Saw a fellow cyclist walking with his bike on N1 towards Church street just after 12:30. Must have had a mechanical. I was in fast lane and could not turn off to assist as that part of town is high risk. I turned around at Chris Baarnard and drove back to see if I could assist but he was gone. I went down to lower main road on my way home but still could not find him. Hoping the dude with his Pina is ok.

• 4 weeks later...