Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine was attacked opposite Kayamandi on Sunday morning.

Luckily he saw the attacker coming for him from opposite the road, and when he saw he would not be able to dodge the attacker, he decided that attack is the best form of defense. He went straight for the attacker and hit him squarely on the jaw with his shoulder, sending the attackers knife flying. My friend tried to flag passing cars down to help, but they just hooted at this madman standing in the middle of the road, and drove on.

Some passing cyclist then stopped to help him. The attacker was long gone by this time.

Luckily no injuries to him, nothing taken.

He reckons the attacker will have a sore jaw for a day or two.

Are you also friends with Mr Smal ? :P

Ag nee *** man! Heal up soon dude!

How did the driver react?

Thanks Patch.

At least she stopped and came to check on me. Just said she did not see on on a beautiful and clear morning in Simonstown.

Im in medical ward now waiting to be wheeled into theatre.

Thanks Patch.

At least she stopped and came to check on me. Just said she did not see on on a beautiful and clear morning in Simonstown.

Strongs, hope the operation is a success, and that you recover quickly and completely.

Thanks Patch.

All the best H. Trust all will go well. :)

Thanks Mark

I have a PA at home

darn sorry I missed your post. Glad you're alive although banged up. Hope you have the energy to see this case through as with SAPS things can be drawn out. 

Heal up fast and enjoy the extra attention at home. 

• 2 weeks later...

A release from the Mountain Club to all users fo Table Mountain. While angled at hikers it has relevance to all users especially for the Newlands Forest, Rhodes, Signal Hill areas. 

Mountain Club SA (Cape Town section) WARNING, OCT '18

The General Committee of the Mountain Club of South Africa (Cape Town Section) regrets to advise members of the increasing possible threats to their personal safety while hiking and climbing in and around the Table Mountain National Park, and elsewhere.

WARNING: Regarding violent crime on Table Mountain and Peninsula hiking areas

The Club urges members to exercise caution when planning hiking routes. There are currently very few areas that can be considered completely safe, and you are advised to be aware of areas that have seen a recent escalation in crime.

The recent series of assaults on trail runners & hikers on the Saddle at the top of Newlands Ravine, as well as on walkers, hikers, runners and cyclists in Newlands forest, represent a significant shift in the level of violence involved, unfortunately similar to that of the tragic attacks in the Kalk Bay and Karbonkelberg areas earlier this year.    

The MCSA (Cape Town Section) is integrally involved with the Table Mountain Security Action Group (TMSAG), an initiative involving over forty mountain user groups, neighbourhood watches and security associations, who are pursuing positive actions behind the scenes to combat these hazards in very difficult circumstances.

The TMSAG is actively lobbying ALL the authorities to come up with a meaningful plan to protect mountain users – locals, visitors and tourists alike – and to apprehend those who would threaten us in what should be a safe and peaceful environment.

High-risk areas
Newlands Forest in its entirety, Newlands Ravine, the Saddle behind Devil’s Peak, the slopes of Devil’s Peak, the Blockhouses and nearby mountain biking trails. All these areas have seen several assaults recently, and while some of the perpetrators have, of late, been apprehended, others remain at large. There are also reports of people living there, hence the increased risks.

Other areas considered to pose a risk to safety
Signal Hill and Lion’s Head, Noordhoek & Kommetjie Beach, Sandy Bay & Karbonkelberg, Vlakkenberg, Blackburn Ravine, Elephant’s Eye, Kleinplaas Dam area, Black Hill and Red Hill, Slangkop, Peer’s Cave and Sunrise Beach.

Safer areas
Currently these include Silvermine East and the Kalk Bay mountains, where there have been fewer reports of incidents of late, while Cape Point, Silvermine West, the Back Table, Orange Kloof and the Apostles remain relatively crime-free at the present time.

Vehicle break-ins
A significant increase in the number of vehicle break-ins is occurring at the end of Tafelberg Road, at the Rhodes Memorial parking areas and on Signal Hill Road.

Mountain users should remember that crime shifts in response to increased security in an area pushing the perpetrators to somewhere else. It is unlikely that the Table Mountain National Park will ever be totally crime free..

The best thing you can do is to be aware, keep hiking and look after your own safety.

SAFETY STRATEGIES

1. Hike in a group. While this does not preclude being attacked, it may serve as a deterrent.
  2. Be aware of potential threats. The suddenness of an attack leads to panic, which may exacerbate the situation. An alert, obviously aware group, poses a harder target.
  3. If attacked, it is advisable NOT to resist. Handing over your “valuables” decreases the chances of being harmed (although unfortunately, this is not always the case).
  4. In the event that you can see that an attack is imminent, hide your cellphone in the vegetation or rocks, so that you are able to summon help much faster afterwards.
  5. Keep the emergency contact numbers on your phones. Check that all members of the party have these numbers. Also keep those numbers somewhere on your person.
  6. Keep a look out on social media for the various ‘Safe Hikes’ and ‘Take Back Our Mountain’ initiatives, in which the MCSA is an active participant, and lend your support. These are proving to be highly successful.  

Emergency numbers (for crime or accident situations)

021 937 0300
Metro Emergency Medical Services, who will activate Mountain Rescue, and have the ability to escalate your call to all relevant agencies.

021 480 7700
Public Emergency Communication Centre, which is central control for reporting crime, on the mountain or anywhere else.

These control centres can easily communicate with each other and all emergency services, and are currently your best options.

It is utterly unacceptable that we are forced to endure the threat of violence while enjoying our mountains and beaches. The MCSA is striving, along with many other mountain user groups, to do whatever we can to combat crime, keep up pressure on the authorities, and to work towards evolving solutions to improve safety.

The MCSA (Cape Town Section)
11 October 2018

I hear that there was another incident at Kayamandi over the weekend. Group of 4 cyclists attacked by 3 mofo's with knifes. Pepper spray apparently saved the day, perps run away coughing and wheezing, cyclists unharmed.

Today in was the unfortunate victim of an inconsiderate driver at the Rosmead and Wetton intersection direction Ottery.

Robots were red and I was rolling up towards the robot, I was just about past the 4th car from the front and the robots went green, I was already right in the edge of the road, as the robots went green and cars started moving, a car(new shape white Polo Vivo) came past me really close and as she(lady driver) past me she mveered across and cut me off completely, so much so that I had to pull dead brakes. With there being a big drain in the gutter, it was not an option for me so I leaned as far right as I could, I was leaning against her rear fender/boot area and gave it a hard whack, then obviously with me leaning up against the car in order to avoid being squashed between the car and pavement, as she drove off at speed I fell behind her almost into the middle of the lane, fortunately for me the car behind me was quite aware and never drove over me, The lady in the white Polo however just carried on driving and I obviously never managed to get any info of the license plate etc. Bike has a few minor scratches(RD, handlebar and right pedal and my Fizik R1 shoes took some battering during the fall)

All in all I am fine and will still race tomorrow , but please guys and girls, be safe out there!!

Edited by FootballingCyclist

Watch out at Masepumela (spelling) just behind Longbeach Mall, Sunvalley, Fishoek.

But buddy got mugged at about 3pm yesterday.

Guy confronted him at knife point and took he's cellphone. Loads of pedestrians and vehicles passing at the petrol station.

Fortunately unharmed and survived with he's life and bike.

Suppose people out there are just so used to this type of thing thus become desensitized to the reality around them.

Be vigilant out there!

Saturday just before 7am

Wanted to take Myciti route to go to Milnerton and it looked very quiet just people walking to come to work etc

I took the N1 to Paarden Eiland and saw a cyclist on the side of the road Blue and Yellow/gold Ciovita outfit.

-I stopped to check if he's ok he said "yes he should be fine"

bike wasn't damaged

-he's arm,leg and hand had some blood from what I thought was a fall

but he confirmed he was forced off the road by a taxi :devil:  :thumbdown:

-said he is from Sea Point which isn't far from where we were

He tried to reset the Di2 and I waited a bit but he got a call and confirmed he will be fine I can go.

Brother If you are on here I hope you got home safe and had someone see to those wounds :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Just for information (just passing it on)

Yesterday morning two very well known cyclist was attacked in Gordonsbay by 3 pieces of scum. They waited for the cyclist to come past and grabbed the Lady at the back, throwing her to the ground, where she landed heavily against the pavement. Her cellphone was ripped from her pocket by one, whilst another one tried to make a getaway with her bicycle. The male cyclist chased him down on foot, and managed to wrestle the bike back from him.

Lady cyclist got admitted to Hospital with suspected fractures.

edit: she did sustain fractures from the fall, which will keep her off her bike 3-4 months

Scumbags are known in the area, and SAPS admitted that they were habitual offenders that terrorized the locals and were released from jail just two years ago.

The good news is that they were all three arrested during the night, (with the help of the local inhabitants) and hopefully now will spend a bit more time behind bars.

Cellphone not recovered yet, but it is known who the new "owner" is (a Nigerian, can you believe the coincidence  :whistling: )

Edited by Wannabe

Just for information (just passing it on)

Yesterday morning two very well known cyclist was attacked in Gordonsbay by 3 pieces of scum. They waited for the cyclist to come past and grabbed the Lady at the back, throwing her to the ground, where she landed heavily against the pavement. Her cellphone was ripped from her pocket by one, whilst another one tried to make a getaway with her bicycle. The male cyclist chased him down on foot, and managed to wrestle the bike back from him.

Lady cyclist got admitted to Hospital with suspected fractures.

edit: she did sustain fractures from the fall, which will keep her off her bike 3-4 months

Scumbags are known in the area, and SAPS admitted that they were habitual offenders that terrorized the locals and were released from jail just two years ago.

The good news is that they were all three arrested during the night, (with the help of the local inhabitants) and hopefully now will spend a bit more time behind bars.

Cellphone not recovered yet, but it is known who the new "owner" is (a Nigerian, can you believe the coincidence  :whistling: )

Yep, if you search "Wimpie Van Der Merwe" on FB, you can see all his videos regarding the incident aswell as status updates as his profile is open to public view.

Scary(yet not surprising) part is that in 1 video he says he is waiting over and hour and a half for the cops to show up, and the police station is literally like 1km away. 

The victim(a woman) was already taken to hospital and the police still hadn't arrived.

Hope the lady heals up soonest.

Edited by FootballingCyclist

Yep, if you search "Wimpie Van Der Merwe" on FB, you can see all his videos regarding the incident aswell as status updates as his profile is open to public view.

Scary(yet not surprising) part is that in 1 video he says he is waiting over and hour and a half for the cops to show up, and the police station is literally like 1km away. 

The victim(a woman) was already taken to hospital and the police still hadn't arrived.

Hope the lady heals up soonest.

This really p!ss3s me off!!

We as a society have such a k@k mentality of helping our fellow people in need.

When the police have this attitude it's no wonder why criminals are so brazen.

I watched that Welkom carjacking and shooting the driver, tossing him out of the car and driving off with about 5-6 people standing around and just watching things unfold.

I know it's a tough situation and you are risking your own life, but once the car is stolen and the guy is lying in the road bleeding to death, everyone just continuing on their merry way  :cursing:

From Wimpie van der Merwe's post he says how he also had to try flag down motorists for assistance. Eventually one guy came out to try help catch the guys.

I really hope that come the moment I won't be such a swak human being by not trying to help someone who is being attacked.