Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Wow, this is getting out of hand. I am convinced its the same group of 3 that bike jacked me in April this year, now they have a more suitable vehicle to fit a bike in it. 

The general public aren't aware of these incidents it seems, it's quite easy to create some awareness by posting them on the community and NHW facebook groups. There were a couple car break-ins in Dennendal West at the forest and next thing there was a mobile camera set up - and the chap was caught not too long after. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure this has been mentioned before so I will say it. The taxi association(s) could be an ally in this situation. If those who have been victims of  this "taxi gang" have any basic descriptors (stickers, accessories, make of the taxi etc) of the taxi(s) in question. They could find out which taxi association(s) use the robbery sites as part of their route. Then reach out to them directly or through the PPA and see what comes up.

As chaotic as the taxi industry is, those guys know each others taxi's. I mean to the level of knowing who has a busted left rear light, who has a dent next to the passenger door, a bunny dangling from the inside mirror. You mention something and they can tell you that's so and so's taxi.

It might be a long shot, but maybe something meaningful may come up.

5 minutes ago, Ncayi said:

I am not sure this has been mentioned before so I will say it. The taxi association(s) could be an ally in this situation. If those who have been victims of  this "taxi gang" have any basic descriptors (stickers, accessories, make of the taxi etc) of the taxi(s) in question. They could find out which taxi association(s) use the robbery sites as part of their route. Then reach out to them directly or through the PPA and see what comes up.

As chaotic as the taxi industry is, those guys know each others taxi's. I mean to the level of knowing who has a busted left rear light, who has a dent next to the passenger door, a bunny dangling from the inside mirror. You mention something and they can tell you that's so and so's taxi.

My guess is its not a real taxi anyway. i.e. the vehicle is not used as a legitimate taxi. They use the same kind of vehicle as its pretty non descrip and nobody bats an eyelid seeing one driving up and down.

1 hour ago, FootballingCyclist said:

As received.

"Very close to the range 5am this morning taxi stopped guys with knives jumped out and high jacked 4 guys. Sounds like 2 bikes stolen. Passed them 10mins after 😢"

IMG-20221116-WA0010.jpg

This is getting out of hand. Our group is around 7 from the deep south, but this may or may not be their route in.

1 hour ago, Ncayi said:

Big chance that the Taxi owner is not aware of what the driver is doing in the mornings. Their business is simple, X drives the Taxi, The owner of said Taxi wants 2k a day, everything after that the drivers keep as their wages(Now you know why the drive the way they do because they do not earn a set wage. Often taxi owners leave their vans with the drivers as parking all their vans at their house makes them a target for other criminals as they are known to obviously handle large sums of cash. There have been taxi owners in the past who have handed the driver over to the community for "mob justice" when the driver has used the van to commit crimes.

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

My guess is its not a real taxi anyway. i.e. the vehicle is not used as a legitimate taxi. They use the same kind of vehicle as its pretty non descrip and nobody bats an eyelid seeing one driving up and down.

I think it is, The Westlake taxi's travel that route. I think they're up early, They do what they've been doing by robbing cyclists before peak hour, then they go drop the bikes in the informal settlement in Westlake (any further would be too risky as there are chances of being caught), then afterwards they go about their merry way of picking up passengers and continue their daily routine.

5 minutes ago, wolver said:

There are camera's at the entrance to Uitsig, surely the Bike Park could assist with getting footage from security to potentially identify the Taxi in question? 

There are also cameras along Tokai Road aswell which is where the Taxi headed last week to get to the M3 after mugging the other cyclist, But it's up to the victims to go with the cops or whoever and go and view the camera footage.

2 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

There are also cameras along Tokai Road aswell which is where the Taxi headed last week to get to the M3 after mugging the other cyclist, But it's up to the victims to go with the cops or whoever and go and view the camera footage.

The Tokai neighbourhood watch have previously helped me to get pictures when somebody tried to hijack me along there.  It's worth contacting them:  https://tncw.org.za/contact.aspx

5 hours ago, MarcW said:

Wow, this is getting out of hand. I am convinced its the same group of 3 that bike jacked me in April this year, now they have a more suitable vehicle to fit a bike in it. 

The general public aren't aware of these incidents it seems, it's quite easy to create some awareness by posting them on the community and NHW facebook groups. There were a couple car break-ins in Dennendal West at the forest and next thing there was a mobile camera set up - and the chap was caught not too long after. 

This is pretty crazy to think about. I ride past there twice a week minimum, at 9ish in the morning and normally back at about 6. I always ride there alone and so far, I have been alright, but I am not sure for how much longer it will remain safe to do so. Especially considering that it is likely organised crime and not some chancers having a go.

It's really shitty to think that riding on the roads is so dangerous, not only due to idiot drivers, but the frequency of bikejackings. It really pisses me off when it would be as easy as to have cameras along that stretch and maybe a community funded security guard or similar. I know that I would certainly pay if it meant that my chances of getting my bike stolen were greatly reduced.

30 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

This is pretty crazy to think about. I ride past there twice a week minimum, at 9ish in the morning and normally back at about 6. I always ride there alone and so far, I have been alright, but I am not sure for how much longer it will remain safe to do so. Especially considering that it is likely organised crime and not some chancers having a go.

It's really shitty to think that riding on the roads is so dangerous, not only due to idiot drivers, but the frequency of bikejackings. It really pisses me off when it would be as easy as to have cameras along that stretch and maybe a community funded security guard or similar. I know that I would certainly pay if it meant that my chances of getting my bike stolen were greatly reduced.

i know it's not always viable but maybe consider riding on the opposite side of the road through this hotspot area? i know it's frowned upon but i'd rather be alive than right. At least then you can see any and all taxis coming from the front and it also puts you on the "wrong" side of the car should they still try and approach you from the rear  and open the sliding door to get you.

Edited by MORNE

7 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

... They drive up and down Spaanschemat early morning waiting to see cyclists, They then wait for there to be no other oncoming vehicles and then they pounce. 

I wonder if they aren't parking at the stone church waiting for a suitable target/s to ride past.