Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

A mate of ours got mugged of his bike, cellphone and GPS on Fri morning at 5:45am on Bottelary Road at the Kraaifontein junction.

4 x BMs kicked him off his bike, forced him onto the ground and made him look down while they robbed him and then made off with his belongings in a Taxi that stopped for them.

He's a bit bruised but made his way home safe in another taxi.

Case has been opened for SAPS. Keep on eye out for a black Trek Fuel on FB or Gumtree please.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If weather permits, what would be a good safe, gentle route from Muizenberg on Wednesday or Thursday? Say 40 odd km.

Is it safe enough to head south and back on main rd ?

5 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

If weather permits, what would be a good safe, gentle route from Muizenberg on Wednesday or Thursday? Say 40 odd km.

Is it safe enough to head south and back on main rd ?

Stay on main Rd and head out past Simons Town.
Should be no issues there.

Don't go before 8:00 if you can help it - there is a lot of traffic heading towards Simons Town (Navy ?)

Have coffee at Salt in Kalk Bay on the way back.
If you are lucky, they will still have some almond buns left.

40 minutes ago, splat said:

Stay on main Rd and head out past Simons Town.
Should be no issues there.

Don't go before 8:00 if you can help it - there is a lot of traffic heading towards Simons Town (Navy ?)

Have coffee at Salt in Kalk Bay on the way back.
If you are lucky, they will still have some almond buns left.

Cheers, thanks. I'll bring my lights down with me for that added visibility. 

• 4 weeks later...

8 muggings in a month, so two a week . . . . why would anyone chance even going there with those odds?

8 hours ago, Bonus said:

8 muggings in a month, so two a week . . . . why would anyone chance even going there with those odds?

Hopefully muggings happening on the way down so at least the pics are uploaded on the 'gram already 

On a serious note, how hard is it to police/secure the area 🤨

4 hours ago, babse said:

On a serious note, how hard is it to police/secure the area 🤨

Honestly I don't understand, if I was law enforcement I wouldn't miss out on the opportunity to be paid to go hike in civilian clothes and catch those ******* by surprise, double dose of satisfaction... But I guess they'd rather sit all day in their car eating donuts next to their speed traps (yeah yeah I know different cops..bla bla..)

Edited by Jbr

14 hours ago, Bonus said:

I ride here almost every day and have been for quite a few sunset missions here too.

I was not aware of the muggings - I think many other people are probably in the same boat. It is also predominantly tourists, who we know do not take the necessary precautions - lots of Ubers and out of town number plates. I suspect the people taking a chance are not aware of the danger, especially on the lower slopes. I stick to the road but the sunset missions are probably a bit sketchy, especially if you like watching the night lights after 8pm...

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

Honestly I don't understand, if I was law enforcement I wouldn't miss out on the opportunity to be paid to go hike in civilian clothes and catch those ******* by surprise, double dose of satisfaction... But I guess they'd rather sit all day in their car eating donuts next to their speed traps (yeah yeah I know different cops..bla bla..)

They'll probably end up getting robbed too

Oh wait that's my colleagues, need to show some respect 🫢