Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So would I, as I too ride that road often. These types of incidents need to get nipped in the bud quickly otherwise they simply escalate out of control very quickly. Houtbay is an example of that.

Not cool at all. I run/ride along Blaauwklippen regularly – it's such a nice road and area.

Surprisingly, there are always armed response vehicles in the general area (Veritas, ADT, etc.) I guess it just goes to show that unless they are visible to you, you're just another sitting duck.

I found this post on a group after a quick Facebook search: https://www.facebook.com/groups/stellcycle/posts/3633881413542273/

On 1/16/2024 at 12:44 PM, lenzman said:

I have recently moved to Tokai and started riding the different trails / routes in the area. I want to try Tokai to Newlands Forrest via Constantia Nek. Any advice or route maps for which route to ride and be safe would be very much appreciated.

My biggest concern is the route back from Newlands Forrest to Tokai. Was considering up Rhodes drive and then down Diep River trail.

I can show you a route from the forest to the top of Southern Cross, that's almost traffic free.

Cross under using subway, follow footpath to top of cannon, down cannon, down ravensburg, into hidding, cross the M3 at the lights (shell garage), follow riverside road all along the liesbeek into rose, turn LEFT at the 3-way stop into the park, exit park at kirstenbosch drive and cross into winchester ave, then up glastonbury drive, at top turn RIGHT and head up rhode drive, you will see the start of the official mtb route on LHS of rhodes drive...follow this all the way to the top of southern cross. 

There is also a nice little diversion off to the LHS just ofter kbosch top gate - you can rejoin the route at cecilia forest or complete the loop (if you still have legs).

12 minutes ago, nonky said:

I can show you a route from the forest to the top of Southern Cross, that's almost traffic free.

Almost traffic free sounds perfect.

Had a near miss with a Double Flatbed on Constantia Main and also a massive Grow Truck on Southern Cross.

13 minutes ago, lenzman said:

Almost traffic free sounds perfect.

Had a near miss with a Double Flatbed on Constantia Main and also a massive Grow Truck on Southern Cross.

This route is almost car free.  You can ride the loop all the way to Tokai and back in safety - your only potential "problems" being walkers, dogs and horses. 

BTW, there is a dirt track on the side of Southern Cross - it is for going UP the hill, even though it is on the "wrong" side of the road.    

Personally, I would avoid riding above Kirstenbosch and then down to S-Cross drive, mainly because there are too many walkers and loose dogs (unless very early in the am).

If you do take that route, DO NOT cycle into Newlands Forest, as NO bikes are allowed (if you hit the tar, you have gone too far).  The official bike path veers down / EAST / to your RHS & towards the M3, just after the steep descent from the contour path / where the road from newlands ravine merges.   

Howzit! A few weeks ago I posted here asking for route tips in/around Cape Point and Constantia as a visitor to Cape Town, following up to say thank you! This thread is an incredible resource for route planning, and the cycling culture you all have built around Cape Town is amazing. Great roads, (fairly) courteous drivers, wonderful bike shops, friendly riders, and obviously the scenery, I can't wait to come back (maybe for CTCT)!

To any lurkers considering cycling around Cape Town, do it! What an incredible place to ride.

And to keep things somewhat on-topic, a big thanks to the driver of the white Audi that overtook me with a few cm clearance going ~70kph on Ou Kaapse Weg while I was well inside the shoulder, you reminded me that some people suck no matter where you go.

On 1/16/2024 at 11:32 AM, NicholasT said:

@lechatnoir Thanks for the reply….

So would something like this make more sense?

IMG_0183.png

image.png.b3d70c82d8fdce8c32709bb0bc125b49.png

If you want to avoid the main road you could try this as alternative which would take you through the residential area and down the road next to Builders.  Depending on how late you are planning to ride but that might help avoid any of the busy and high foot traffic spots.

Edited by -cK-

1 hour ago, lenzman said:

Gemsbok/Eland looks pretty dangerous in Banhoek Conservancy 

Eland.

I had a close call with one on the Cobra line. They like that part of the valley, so keep your eyes open when you see them around. Given that a Eland is for the most part the size of a large bull it can cause some damage when you collide with them. 

Edited by Robbie Stewart
spelling like a chop

Those in the vid are gemsbok though 😉

Dis omdat jy nie die video kyk nie! Skande @Robbie Stewart

Ive only seen them once. Tend to see the Eland up to afterburn more. Scary coming around an uphill switchback with a bok the size of a working horse in the trail 🤣

IMG_0527.png

Edited by MORNE

23 hours ago, MORNE said:

Those in the vid are gemsbok though 😉

Dis omdat jy nie die video kyk nie! Skande @Robbie Stewart

Ive only seen them once. Tend to see the Eland up to afterburn more. Scary coming around an uphill switchback with a bok the size of a working horse in the trail 🤣

IMG_0527.png

Ek kyk duidelik soos my gat. 

My wife keeps telling me the same. Clearly there's a trend going on here.

Next time I ride Banhoek I'm taking a rifle. Gemsbok steak is my favourite meal. If I ever get offered a last meal, that will be it.

45 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Ek kyk duidelik soos my gat. 

My wife keeps telling me the same. Clearly there's a trend going on here.

Next time I ride Banhoek I'm taking a rifle. Gemsbok steak is my favourite meal. If I ever get offered a last meal, that will be it.

Please note .... a mamil on a blue bike is NOT any type of buck ... 🫣

@KB280DT want to fish at Klipheuwel .... you want to hunt ....

Clearly these farms are missing out on some business opportunities ....