Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will it be safe to go over Suikerbossie and then via Princess street to Chappies?

8 minutes ago, webs said:

Will it be safe to go over Suikerbossie and then via Princess street to Chappies?

I would say yes. Especially in the early mornings there are hundreds of cyclists taking this route.

2 hours ago, webs said:

Yes. And if you use Empire you miss the mayhem around the SPAR too.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

8 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Yes. And if you use Empire you miss the mayhem around the SPAR too.

Empire is my default route. It also misses that slog of a hill through town where you have to miss pedestrian and vehicle traffic. I'm not really a fan of that hill.

On 1/16/2024 at 11:07 AM, FootballingCyclist said:

Hi All.

Saw some horrific pictures of what looks like a man attacked with a Panga possibly on Saturday in the Stellies area (Blaauwklipped Rd near Dornier).

Has the incident been reported somewhere else on bikehub before I make a double post?

Bike was sold to someone in Table View acoording to the Eikestad Nuus….

Let me say it the way it is:

If you buy stuff from dubious sources here, on Facebook or elsewhere you are complicit to a violent crime and deserve to be in jail….

and dont give that nonsense about “how do you know”….. you know when you know….

jeeesh this makes me angry.

(rant over)3B4A7CFC-43B1-4877-9AB7-A2B28F2B4566.jpeg.a3a40c5c30a3441d0363360ff2e9e178.jpeg

1 hour ago, Chrisjanopsyfiets said:

If you buy stuff from dubious sources here, on Facebook or elsewhere you are complicit to a violent crime and deserve to be in jail….

(rant over)

You are 100% correct, Chrisjan. 

Stealing AND the receipt of stolen goods USED to be crimes that were prosecuted in SA.   Sadly, this is no longer the case.

On 1/28/2024 at 12:16 PM, mikkelz said:

****, that's my usual long ride route to Franschhoek.

Just gotta klap that segment even harder now.

Jokes aside, is it possible to get an exact Google Maps pin of the bend in question?

It's often coloured guys from Idas Valley walking or standing next to the road - anything from the start of the climb, to basically the old pass entrance opposite Graff. Have also been attacked by knife on Helshoogte pass. Luckily got away without anything stolen.

Edited by M L

On 2/1/2024 at 1:07 PM, Chrisjanopsyfiets said:

(rant over)3B4A7CFC-43B1-4877-9AB7-A2B28F2B4566.jpeg.a3a40c5c30a3441d0363360ff2e9e178.jpeg

This article is a bit of a joke.

1. The guy behind the victim called SAPS and they didn't even respond. For attempted murder...

2. The public gave SAPS (specifically CIG) all the necessary info to go and arrest the guy that advertised and sold the bike (Brandon Jansen) - https://www.facebook.com/brandon.jansen.165). Brandon lives in Jamestown btw.

2. CIG then followed it up and SAPS took Brandon in for questioning. They then got hold of the person he sold the bike to, and went to Cape Town to pick up the bike. So "beamptes het leidrade op sosiale media opgevolg" is a lie. I know because I was the one giving it to CIG.

3. I've spoken to Sgt Moses. He doesn’t seem to be on top of this case. (1) It's been weeks since the incident and he doesn't have an affidavit from the victim, or the person riding behind the victim. (2) He knows who the two main suspects are through the work done by CIG. They haven’t been arrested. There’s enough proof via Brandon and other 3rd parties involved to build a solid case. So apart from the work done by CIG (really great work, the W/O went out of his way to get this case some momentum, followed up the leads, identified the suspects, etc ), Sgt Moses doesn’t seem to have done much - feel free to call him and follow up - I see his number is in the article.

What I've learnt: We need to start waking up to the current state of crime in this country and make time to get involved. If we as citizens don't, then nothing will get done and these perpetrators will keep on going, fueling drug houses, syndicates and luring other young jobless into the occupation of robbery/armed-robbery and it will just keep getting worse. SAPS as a body is incapable of effectively fighting crime alone. A large portion of the few cases that actually make it court are either thrown out or don't lead to proper jail time. And this just repeats itself and the criminals become more and more brazen. 

Edited by M L

1 hour ago, GDG said:

Here we go again...

IMG-20240203-WA0031.jpg

Heard about this from my friends. I tweeted the City, PPA, Alan Winde and SAPS. I hope he reported it even if he got away. 

Happened AGAIN this morning.  On the N1 just before Woodstock turnoff heading back up to turn left onto paardeneiland/ marine drive. 1 guy brick and 1 guy tried to grab the riders shirt. Luckily he got away. 

On 2/1/2024 at 1:07 PM, Chrisjanopsyfiets said:

Years ago there was an ad on radio that stuck a deep cord with me. It basically was a guy negotiating a very very good price for one or other article. The voiceover then said next time you buy a bargain remember where it cam from. The ad then played soundtrack of someone being robbed calling for help and a gunshot followed by silence. It made such a big impact on me that i have walked away from probably genuine bargains, but I firmly believe that in most instances the buyer knows he is buying for a price that cannot be legitimate. I have no sympathy for either the perp robbing or the guy buying.