Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

1 hour ago, GDG said:

Happened AGAIN this morning.  On the N1 just before Woodstock turnoff heading back up to turn left onto paardeneiland/ marine drive. 1 guy brick and 1 guy tried to grab the riders shirt. Luckily he got away. 

Do we know what time today and yesterday's attacks happened?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, GDG said:

Happened AGAIN this morning.  On the N1 just before Woodstock turnoff heading back up to turn left onto paardeneiland/ marine drive. 1 guy brick and 1 guy tried to grab the riders shirt. Luckily he got away. 

Do you know if there were any cars around and they are brazenly doing it with people around or if it was a quiet moment with nobody around?

1 hour ago, GDG said:

Time this morning was around 8h30 right infront of all the cars driving on the N1. They feel F all!

Not likely that any car was going to stop and help. We truly live in a sick and demented society.

Our Pastor in church this morning was talking about someone who found a lost wallet full of cash and cards recently, and this person went through quite a mission to find the owner. The pastor was contacted trying to find the guy who picked up the wallet and the owner was shocked that not only was his wallet returned, but that no money was taken. He said it was truly tragic that we live in a world where people are shocked by someone displaying integrity. That resonated with me.

The world today doesn't care about anyone anymore. I'm confident that even if these two chaps were assaulting the cyclist, he'd be on his own along that stretch of the N1. People are just unwilling to step outside of their comfort zones to help someone in need.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Not likely that any car was going to stop and help. We truly live in a sick and demented society.

Our Pastor in church this morning was talking about someone who found a lost wallet full of cash and cards recently, and this person went through quite a mission to find the owner. The pastor was contacted trying to find the guy who picked up the wallet and the owner was shocked that not only was his wallet returned, but that no money was taken. He said it was truly tragic that we live in a world where people are shocked by someone displaying integrity. That resonated with me.

The world today doesn't care about anyone anymore. I'm confident that even if these two chaps were assaulting the cyclist, he'd be on his own along that stretch of the N1. People are just unwilling to step outside of their comfort zones to help someone in need.

The best way to help would have been to drive straight over the scumbags... the problem is that the justice system will put you in jail for being the hero. Things are truly broken!😔

12 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

There is an element to the conversation where unarmed bystanders (passing motorists) are not willing/able to intervene in an armed robbery for concern if their own safety.

People not stopping to help after the incident is quite k@k.

16 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Robbie, you are applying High Trust Society morals to a Low Trust Society.

Our society is, unfortunately, a million miles away from High Trust; and you need to act accordingly.

26 minutes ago, nonky said:

Robbie, you are applying High Trust Society morals to a Low Trust Society.

Our society is, unfortunately, a million miles away from High Trust; and you need to act accordingly.

I agree, and I am just sad that this is the level we got to as a society. I wonder what type of world my daughter will inherit one day.

She can't do what her daddy did when he grew up, and that makes me sad.

I grew up being able to ride my bicycle to school. I used to hitchhike to Vic Bay for a surf in the afternoons after school and beg a lift back home again in time for dinner. I could go and play for hours in the forest with my friends and we'd explore and build tree houses and do typical outdoor shenanigans as laaities living in George. She can't have that. It got taken away from our children. And that is visible in how people "hate" each other openly in public these days.

Can I add pedestrians and runners to the list of moving danger areas?

We had three incidents on one ride this weekend. Runner going away from us on the sidewalk drops into the road just ahead of me to overtake with no concern for what's coming up behind. Then a woman on her phone crossing a busy road near Glencairn with no attempt to keep an eye on approaching bikes (or cars). The third was similar to number 2 - guy on foot crossing road in front of my wife in Tokai. 

In comparison the cars were well behaved, but sadly some fairly idiotic riding too. Don't overtake slower riders in the face of a following car when the road widens ahead in 150m presenting a far safer place to pass... Eish.

36 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I agree, and I am just sad that this is the level we got to as a society. I wonder what type of world my daughter will inherit one day.

She can't do what her daddy did when he grew up, and that makes me sad.

I grew up being able to ride my bicycle to school. I used to hitchhike to Vic Bay for a surf in the afternoons after school and beg a lift back home again in time for dinner. I could go and play for hours in the forest with my friends and we'd explore and build tree houses and do typical outdoor shenanigans as laaities living in George. She can't have that. It got taken away from our children. And that is visible in how people "hate" each other openly in public these days.

this gets to me so often. The amount of exploring we did as kids, just being kids, discovering things n our own. Its all been taken away. 

Even in so called secured complexes and neighbourhoods, you cant really let the kids run free.

2 hours ago, Headshot said:

Can I add pedestrians and runners to the list of moving danger areas?

We had three incidents on one ride this weekend. Runner going away from us on the sidewalk drops into the road just ahead of me to overtake with no concern for what's coming up behind. Then a woman on her phone crossing a busy road near Glencairn with no attempt to keep an eye on approaching bikes (or cars). The third was similar to number 2 - guy on foot crossing road in front of my wife in Tokai. 

In comparison the cars were well behaved, but sadly some fairly idiotic riding too. Don't overtake slower riders in the face of a following car when the road widens ahead in 150m presenting a far safer place to pass... Eish.

You think pedestrians on their phones are bad.....Wait for Apple Vision Pro to take hold in SA!

1 hour ago, capediver said:

You think pedestrians on their phones are bad.....Wait for Apple Vision Pro to take hold in SA!

Saw the video of the guys in the states. Will be interesting to see them with their massive goggles on whilst making themeslves a massive target for getting robbed.

On 2/5/2024 at 2:23 PM, capediver said:

5 minutes ago, GDG said:

Just FYI..got a notification that it happened AGAIN this morning... during traffic!!

Heard of 2 attempted muggings this morning, under the bridge, heading away from town. 

image.png.482959ed6cbd3162e929386b09e7c918.png

Edited by peepeekaitjie

so what now ? Must we try the cycle path again ? Seems there's now more attacks on the n1 than on the cycle path lately