Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Apparently there was another attack on the bridge from Woodstock coming on to the N1. Happened on Saturday morning 

Edited by Andreas_187

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/26/2024 at 10:06 AM, ChrisF said:

Zonnebloem shelter - been in the newspapers a few months back.

One of the articles - https://www.news24.com/news24/community-newspaper/peoples-post/have-your-say-on-new-shelter-planned-for-district-six-20230620

YES, there are/were MANY of these projects !!  Sadly very few make it past the "public participation" phase.

EDIT : the term  "shelter" is often mis-used in media.  The Zonenbloem facility was earmarked as a rehabilitation centre.  A shelter with the sole purpose of getting people back on their feet, and helping them with basic skills.   This is totally different to the hot-meal-and-cot type facilities.

Thanks for the link - that one was opposed by the District Six residents / associations (IIRC) - it appears  that NO ONE wants a shelter on their doorstep, not just the privileged few living on the Atlantic Seaboard.

It should be recognized that this is not just simple eviction and nothing else - last night, social workers / CoCT representatives were interviewing the homeless sleeping on the Promenade (which is also a huge problem).  Not sure why, just interesting to see the ongoing initiatives.

i pass that proposed location daily on my commute to get to table mountain, i can see in the surrounds the growing increase in illegal dwellings... its becoming more and more nervy going through there in the morning and and afternoon. honestly i feel way way more safer on table mountain itself...

1 hour ago, nonky said:

Thanks for the link - that one was opposed by the District Six residents / associations (IIRC) - it appears  that NO ONE wants a shelter on their doorstep, not just the privileged few living on the Atlantic Seaboard.

It should be recognized that this is not just simple eviction and nothing else - last night, social workers / CoCT representatives were interviewing the homeless sleeping on the Promenade (which is also a huge problem).  Not sure why, just interesting to see the ongoing initiatives.

Real pity the Zonnebloem one got stopped.

School at the back, then just EMPTY erven all around. 

The facility was to have an area with a couple of computers, for basic skills training.  Various other initiatives to get people to re-integrate into the world.  So much more than just a meal and a cot.

Was surprising to see just how many of these initiatives are up and running, and how many more the Western Cape Government (this is much wider than COCT) is doing along these lines.

SURE - there are, and will always be three groups:

- criminals ... these wont be affected by these efforts

- "street people" (or which ever politically correct term is to be used) .... these dont want more than a meal and a cot in winter ... they WANT to b on the street

- the down on their luck .... there are a multitude of people that pass through these re-integration facilities, many of whom succesfully re-integrate, get back on their feet and life a normal life again.  (jip ... many fall back into the old bad habits that got them their in the first place)

Good to see the efforts that goes into these facilities.

1 hour ago, Meezo said:

i pass that proposed location daily on my commute to get to table mountain, i can see in the surrounds the growing increase in illegal dwellings... its becoming more and more nervy going through there in the morning and and afternoon. honestly i feel way way more safer on table mountain itself...

Keeping that site active would have been a lot saver for everybody

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I don't really know if this is the right thread to be asking this question, so apologies if I'm in the wrong zone.

I'll be riding to the Nova Eroica South Africa this April, and my intended route is from Franschhoek to Montagu. I've prepared this on Komoot: https://www.komoot.com/tour/1454702272?ref=wtd&share_token=aILAvZ9AQbrBJXKMZqiG0pHOicVb3IDcWpSBcPwlMIM4ak8gdP

Now, I've never been or ridden in South Africa, and I was keen on hearing from locals if there are any specific things I should be aware of, or turns I shouldn't be making, or anything like that. I live in London, UK, and though life has taken me in dodgy areas in the past I'm very well aware that as somebody who's never been somewhere I could very well be riding into trouble without realising it.

So, if you have any feedback please let me know! Also, if you're planning on heading over there too and you're leaving from Franschhoek, do let me know..

Fabrizio

3 hours ago, W3_Fabrizio said:

Hi guys,

I don't really know if this is the right thread to be asking this question, so apologies if I'm in the wrong zone.

I'll be riding to the Nova Eroica South Africa this April, and my intended route is from Franschhoek to Montagu. I've prepared this on Komoot: https://www.komoot.com/tour/1454702272?ref=wtd&share_token=aILAvZ9AQbrBJXKMZqiG0pHOicVb3IDcWpSBcPwlMIM4ak8gdP

Now, I've never been or ridden in South Africa, and I was keen on hearing from locals if there are any specific things I should be aware of, or turns I shouldn't be making, or anything like that. I live in London, UK, and though life has taken me in dodgy areas in the past I'm very well aware that as somebody who's never been somewhere I could very well be riding into trouble without realising it.

So, if you have any feedback please let me know! Also, if you're planning on heading over there too and you're leaving from Franschhoek, do let me know..

Fabrizio

@W3_Fabrizio the route that you have planned looks great and runs through an area that is very safe in general. I have three suggestions:

1. When you ride through Robertson keep on the main road all the way to the roundabout (as shown in the map below). Don't cut through the neighbourhood on your right.

image.png.12237e359490ff2299f7a506ccc0f201.png

2. The red alternative route shown below follows back roads with less traffic.

image.png.fa167cd5dd2217a98ea3a212dffe26d4.png

3. There's a short section of the route before Ashton that runs over private land. The red alternative below will do the trick.

image.png.bb71644a7e2a73d838d838d62f654b43.png

I hope you have a great time riding in South Africa!

On 3/11/2024 at 7:42 AM, W3_Fabrizio said:

..........Looking forward to riding in South Africa!

Eroica SA is a very special ride. Tough, long, rough, hot, but with beautiful surroundings and VERY friendly people......exactly what it should be like. (I have not done the Nova, but I did most of the classics.) 

54 minutes ago, DJR said:

Eroica SA is a very special ride. Tough, long, rough, hot, but with beautiful surroundings and VERY friendly people......exactly what it should be like. (I have not done the Nova, but I did most of the classics.) 

roads and people are the same, but fewer punctures guaranteed! But Ouberg Pass is just as steep!

12 hours ago, matthew de haast said:

A few bricks in the road in Camps Bay this morning. Very difficult to see them in the dark. Some riders from @Pure Savage went down. One in hospital with shoulder injury.

From the little bit of information that I have heard, the bricks were not random.
Luckily the Savage Crew was quite big, as there were lots of 'bystanders' who appeared out of the shadows as soon as he hit the deck.
Strangely, the Camps Bay police station is less than a stone's throw from this location.

Also, the victim is no stranger to high jackings and incidents with cars.
Heal up fast @Pure Savage !

13 hours ago, matthew de haast said:

A few bricks in the road in Camps Bay this morning. Very difficult to see them in the dark. Some riders from @Pure Savage went down. One in hospital with shoulder injury.

One of the few areas that was still considered safe. 🤬

"Bystanders" were mentioned ... is this the element that was removed from "tent city".?