Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Anybody know anything about a mountain biker that was mugged for his bike near the Silvermine Dam over the weekend??? Just up from the dam on the Silvermine peaks loop just below the start of the first switchbacks on the jeep track.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, porqui said:

Anybody know anything about a mountain biker that was mugged for his bike near the Silvermine Dam over the weekend??? Just up from the dam on the Silvermine peaks loop just below the start of the first switchbacks on the jeep track.

Had a guy try to tackle me at the corner of Koeberg and Plattekloof (near Makro) this morning. I was riding with 3 friends and as we approached the turn into Plattekloof this guy stepped off the island and started running at me. His execution was laughably poor, in that he went for the front guy, telegraphed his intentions way too early, had no visible weapons, and couldn’t change direction quickly.

i managed to swerve around him and sprint away, and he seemed to have already burned all his matches, as he completely ignored my 3 mates behind me.

stopped, swore at him a few times, carried on with life, all a bit surreal really…

5 hours ago, MongooseMan said:

Had a guy try to tackle me at the corner of Koeberg and Plattekloof (near Makro) this morning. I was riding with 3 friends and as we approached the turn into Plattekloof this guy stepped off the island and started running at me. His execution was laughably poor, in that he went for the front guy, telegraphed his intentions way too early, had no visible weapons, and couldn’t change direction quickly.

i managed to swerve around him and sprint away, and he seemed to have already burned all his matches, as he completely ignored my 3 mates behind me.

stopped, swore at him a few times, carried on with life, all a bit surreal really…

I had exactly the same thing happen to me yesterday at exactly the same spot. This guy started running towards me. Luckily I was on my MTB and had my Giro 'tackies' on so jumped off and told him to come so I could **** him up.... he turned around and I carried on

Well there goes that route. I used it every now and then to navigate through the boerewors curtain from the west coast side of town since cycling past Dunoon became a no-go. 

Hi can anyone recommend a safe route from Stellenbosch to Langebaan. Met a Swiss chap cycling along the Garden Route doing a tour from Jhb to CT. He wants to visit part of the Westcoast before heading down the R27. Thanks

22 minutes ago, Jackb said:

Hi can anyone recommend a safe route from Stellenbosch to Langebaan. Met a Swiss chap cycling along the Garden Route doing a tour from Jhb to CT. He wants to visit part of the Westcoast before heading down the R27. Thanks

I would suggest: Stellenbosch -> Klipheuwel -> Malmesbury -> Hopefield -> Langebaan

It is a safe route with wide shoulders. I prefer taking the R44 and Kromme Rhee Road to avoid Kayamandi.

Edited by ridearoundtheblock

On 3/29/2024 at 11:45 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

Well there goes that route. I used it every now and then to navigate through the boerewors curtain from the west coast side of town since cycling past Dunoon became a no-go. 

Exactly! I've been avoiding riding into town/Camps Bay from Blouberg due to the N1 incidents lately. So I started going via this way to get into Durbanville for a new loop. Now this way is compromised too. 

Trying to be a well-rounded cyclist in Blouberg is becoming increasingly difficult. We have to ride far to get decent vert and most of our options are now tainted. 

It's a difficult pill to swallow that road cycling is dying a multipronged death. 

Gravel bike classifieds entered the chat... 

24 minutes ago, Jackb said:

There are many gravel routes if he has a suitable bike for it - I like the kalbaskraal - Darling railway service road and then dirt again to R45 just northwest of Moreesburg - 

33 minutes ago, Spinnaroonie said:

Exactly! I've been avoiding riding into town/Camps Bay from Blouberg due to the N1 incidents lately. So I started going via this way to get into Durbanville for a new loop. Now this way is compromised too. 

Trying to be a well-rounded cyclist in Blouberg is becoming increasingly difficult. We have to ride far to get decent vert and most of our options are now tainted. 

It's a difficult pill to swallow that road cycling is dying a multipronged death. 

I did my first attempt at heading to the west of the V&A yesterday via the N1. I started riding down the cycle path and by the time I passed Milnerton flea market I kept on going. At the Caltex I was about to turn when a roadie passed me. I decided on a whim to follow him and ended up on the N1. Nearly poo'd myself when a container lorry passed me so close I could reach out and touch it.

After that I found myself under the elevated freeway and after some twists and turns discovered the way to the entrance to the V&A past The Yacht Club. From then on I rode onwards to the top of Suikerbossie before turning around - in hind sight, I regret not carrying on to Chapmans. 

As I said, that was my first attempt and I actually enjoyed it immensely. I so wish it was a more viable route. Maybe one day. 

For elevation, I go and ride the trails around Tygerberg, Stellenbosch and Tokai in the weekends.

During the week, I ride the cycle path to Melkbos and just ride at tempo to keep the legs fired up. It works for me, but yeah, I wish we had more variety.

Thanks for the help. I've forwarded this onto him. He's riding a Cannondale gb with a lefty fork so he should be capable of dirt roads. 

4 hours ago, Spinnaroonie said:

i ride through cipla all the way accross the n7 to visserhoek, or to old malmesbury, from there your can enjoy the peace and safety of nearly empty roads and gravel paths

23 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I did my first attempt at heading to the west of the V&A yesterday via the N1. I started riding down the cycle path and by the time I passed Milnerton flea market I kept on going. At the Caltex I was about to turn when a roadie passed me. I decided on a whim to follow him and ended up on the N1. Nearly poo'd myself when a container lorry passed me so close I could reach out and touch it.

After that I found myself under the elevated freeway and after some twists and turns discovered the way to the entrance to the V&A past The Yacht Club. From then on I rode onwards to the top of Suikerbossie before turning around - in hind sight, I regret not carrying on to Chapmans. 

As I said, that was my first attempt and I actually enjoyed it immensely. I so wish it was a more viable route. Maybe one day. 

For elevation, I go and ride the trails around Tygerberg, Stellenbosch and Tokai in the weekends.

During the week, I ride the cycle path to Melkbos and just ride at tempo to keep the legs fired up. It works for me, but yeah, I wish we had more variety.

Another way through - traffic safety depends on time of day - mtb or gravel only

Capture.JPG.8eda33437a7ce1ee38f997b653244c44.JPG

Edited by Mamil

On 4/2/2024 at 4:14 PM, ridearoundtheblock said:

I would suggest: Stellenbosch -> Klipheuwel -> Malmesbury -> Hopefield -> Langebaan

It is a safe route with wide shoulders. I prefer taking the R44 and Kromme Rhee Road to avoid Kayamandi.

Unless on a very quiet (time of) day, skip Kromme Rhee, go straight and ride through Elsenberg.

Warning 
This morning (6 April 2024) @ approximately 07:30 4 x cyclists was robbed by 1 x suspect armed with a firearm (C/male with black pants). Suspect took a cellphone and fled. 
Incident happened on the Helshoogte rd near Beltana.
Please be vigilant when you cycle/jog/walk in that area.
Please inform JSRA Control Room immediately when a incident happened.
062 027 1601