Yet another Cyclist knocked down

Warped

I hope they sorted this Black guy (edited) out right where they caught him.

I cannot see what would motivate me to get back on a bicycle.Cry

In this instance the cyclist was in the wrong. Not the taxi drivers fault, so "sorting him out" would be the wrong thing to do.

Too much emotion !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The case in Boksburg on Saturday morning was the drunk drivers fault

It looked like a war zone ... with all the pieces of bike and the driver going over traffic islands and heaven only knows what else

Drunk drivers are a danger to everybody, not just cyclists.

Unfortunately on this occassion it was a cyclist who was run down but it could just as easily have been a jogger, a  old lady walking her dog or your kid crossing the road.

Its NOT a case here of cyclists been targeted by motorists, its a criminal case of drunk driving - nothing more nothing less - of course its very sad and I extend my sympathies to the family, but its not selective.

On the other point of courtesy on the road, I was on my way to work at 6am on Sat and watched as a group of 6 cyclists ignored the red stop lights at the corner of Witkoppen and Nerine drive - just sailed right through - the car in front of me had to brake and take evasive action to avoid them, she hooted and of course we had the usual loutish hand show of arrogance by the cyclists.

Nothing changes - sadly.!

widget2007-03-19 02:20:00

widget i agree wholeheartedly that this was not a cyclist specific incident, but the point i'm making about maybe we should picket at the courthouse is because drunk drivers get off so regularly, irrespective of who they kill. we need to show that other road users are fed-up of road abusers getting away with their crimes. we are drivers as well as cyclists (and some of us are joggers/runners as well) and we thus spend more time than most on the roads.

this is one issue where we can start the ball rolling and then maybe the rest of the road users might join in and that will help build relationships between us all (hopefully)

Maybe we should join forces with this initiative called South Africans Against Drunk Drivers http://www.sadd.org.za/ If we forward relevant incidents of cyclists or anybody being killed by drunk drivers, then they would protest/ picket in front of courts and we could attend/assist.

Maybe we should join forces with this initiative called South Africans Against Drunk Drivers http://www.sadd.org.za/ If we forward relevant incidents of cyclists or anybody being killed by drunk drivers' date=' then they would protest/ picket in front of courts and we could attend/assist.[/quote']

Fair enough.!

This is really sad to read. My condolences goes out to the families.

The anger and frustration is clear to read from all who have posted to this topic. Lets channel this anger & frustration in a more positive way. We cannot rely on the authorities to keep us safe. We need to start putting initiatives into place so as to create awareness for cyclists.

This week I have erected 16 signs along the Lido Route. A further 8 wre erected two weeks ago along Swartkoppies between the Lemon Tree and Klipriver Roads. These signs were paid for by sponsors and with the help from Gauteng Roads Maintenance were erected. These signs are no way enough on this 48km training route. We need to erect at least another 30 or so.  Lets try and raise funds for this initiative. If anyone knows of potential sponsors please PM me or visit www.sign-up.co.za

Lets start by making a difference.

How much (money) do you need to raise to erect another 30 signs?
Frosty2007-03-19 08:15:11

A 1500mm sign including poles & brackets cost R590 each. That will be 30 x R590 = R17 700.00

The best way of raising funds is possibly for clubs to ask their members for donations and maybe sponsor 5 signs per club.

But at this moment any cash will do.

Shaun' date=' thanks for the work.  One thing though, the signs only work if motorists AND cyclists obey them.  Maybe put up a few signs showing cyclists that riding 3-5 abreast and over the white line is not the way to go (as per the Lido group yesterday at about 07:00 - 07:15).  Once again, clean our own house first!!!

[/quote']

I have to agree with this. I appreciate all the effort of putting up signs, but fail to understand this???? maybe I am missing the point????I have seen hundreds of "Drive alive", "don't drink & drive" & "don't speed" signs nevermind the big signs (in their thousands) that say40, 60,80 or 120km/h.

People do not take ANY notice of these, why should they take notice of a sign that says "caution cyclists ahead" ......will someone driving drunk be able to read this sign, or will it take their eyes off the road ahead for that split second?????

Fact is... People will always break the rules.

I have been hit by a car three times (fortunately not that badly)This last one on saturday was too close to home though.

I have bought a MTB and this (and possibly track cycling) may be the route to go.

Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate the efforts of the guys making the signs, and every little bit counts. I suppose that is the best solution to date?????

Can't agree with you more, Radfahrer, but we need to start somewhere.

Just imagine for once that all the cyclists , lets say, on The Lido Route, ride single file where the road is narrow and not more than 2 abreast where the road is wide enough. They all keep close together when a car/truck passes and we all behave like normal, law abiding uses of the road should. Don't you think that people, especially motorists and other groups of cyclists will take notice and say 'hey, if they can do it, why can't we?'

Most of us drive cars, but how many stick to the speed limit, do not talk on our cell phones, stop at traffic lights and stop streets, keep left & pass right, do not ride erratically etc.etc. It all has to start with ourselves. If we start respecting ourselves and start doing the right thing, people will notice and it will have a snowball effect. I know what you are thinking, but unless we try we will never know.

There are no guarantees in Life. Whether we get killed on our bicycles or by a hijackers' bullet or in a car accident or choking on our favourite steak, our destiny is planned. We need to start taking control of our own lives and simply do the right thing. Maybe the next time we see people ignoring traffic signals, driving whilst on their cell phones, instead of ignoring it, we should hoot and point out to them that what they are doing is wrong. Please don't swear and start a road rage incident, but politely hoot and say that is wrong, that person will possibly react in a negative way, but once they have a bit of time to think about it, will think twice before doing it again. Similarly when a cyclist does not stop at a stop sign or traffic light, politely remind him/her that it is not right.

Lets start by being Courteous and sharing the Road!!!

Utopia, maybe?

Thumbs%20Up
shaunh2007-03-19 11:45:15

[People do not take ANY notice of these, why should they take notice of a sign that says "caution cyclists ahead" ......will someone driving drunk be able to read this sign, or will it take their eyes off the road ahead for that split second?????
Fact is... People will always break the rules.

Very true......however if the penalty fits the crime then the level of incidents will reduce drastically as their will be a fear within society for the repercussions of their actions. I'm sure there are people who live under Sharia Law that steal but I guarantee that the thought of losing your hands will make you consider your actions very carefully. There was a time in this country when a solid white line was sacred and you crossed it at your own stupidity and peril. No days it is policed only when Minnaars goons need some lunch money. The problem we are faced with as cyclists and as citizens is an unbelievable amount of anger, arrogance and ignorance. Mix this with apathy and we have the dangerous environment we exist in. The solution to this countries problem must start with a government....i.e. someone who "governs" and not sanctimoniously decrees!!

Chunky,

Although I can understand your emotions, degradig yourself and your post with racist remarks is definately wrong, not politically uncorrect but just wrong.

BAd drivers exist in all communities. Personally I've hadmore run in's with affluent white females than poor black taxi drivers.

Your racial finger pointing is totally uncalled for. Take a look inside yourself and embrace the anger.

Shaun has a good initiative going and it's worthwhile supporting him. But moreimportantly change starts as he said, with the individual.

I had a very affluent rider throw a water bottle at me last week after I politely reminded him that red traffic mean "STOP",not caution while using the intersection. He'sexcuse was that he is  tax paing citizen and can use the road as he pleases....

That the old geeze was in his late 40's and on a pricey Italian steed made it worse. An Educated person with a stupid attitude....sad, really sad..

I got angry with this old phuqwit and dearly wanted to show the way to Jesus but the key is that my brain was still working and overode the anger at having to avoid a 500ml flying projectile in Lakeside traffic.

Keep yourself on the right side of the law, behave in a way thats deserving of your family and you've made a small change. Leave the phuqwits to their own devices. Eventually they will die out like the dinosaurs.

well said delgado and Lefty.

shaunh, the point i keep making on this forum (and keep getting shot down for by certain members of it) is that we cannot expect to be treated as road users if we behave like road abusers.

Lefty, i'm glad to know that there are more riders out there who WILL and DO speak out when this type of thing happens. i have been flamed on more than one occasion for doing so, but it is my democratic right to speak out and i use it. if people don't like it, they mustn't ride with me and likewise i won't ride with people who persistently break the laws of the road... so yep, there are people who don't ride with me/i don't ride with after a ride or two who need to be viewed with suspicion (although, admittedly, no-one on this board has yet crossed that line! good bunch of cyclists these hubbers are Wink)

Lefty, I suppose you are right.

I just get very pee'd everytime I hear what has happened. The last accident I witnessed was horrid. Its not nice seeing a person yuou ride with daily spread over 200 meters.

There are some very valid points on this topic. Riders are there own worse enemies on the road. The usual safety in number syndrome seems to apply when riding in bunches. I know I used to feel far safer when there was a big bunch, forgetting that it made it even more difficult for the motorists to pass.

My father for one complains to me every weekend about why cyclists have to take up the entire road. He also finds it difficult to understand why he gets sworn at when he ha sdone nothing wrong on the road.

Perhpas its the cyclists that need to take the first step. There is nothing we can do about drunk drivers, but trying not to piss the average driver off may go a long way in saving lives.

Chunky

I must agree with you, it seems like that is the typical perception of cyclists.

I get it at work on a weekly basis."You Bloody Cyclists".

I have not been on my bike for more than a month, due to injury,

I walked into the office this morning and was told that me and my mates ride 3 a breast on some road in Kempton Park.

Its a stereotype that we have created for ourselves.

We now need to get these stereotypes changed the easiest way to do this is to look at our own behaviour on the roads.
David #72007-03-19 13:57:53

Chunky

I must agree with you' date=' it seems like that is the typical perception of cyclists.

I get it at work on a weekly basis."You Bloody Cyclists".

I have not been on my bike for more than a month, due to injury,

I walked into the office this morning and was told that me and my mates ride 3 a breast on some road in Kempton Park.

Its a stereotype that we have created for ourselves.

We know need to get these stereotypes changed the easiest way to do this is to look at our own behaviour on the roads.
[/quote'] LOL

All the okes at my work have started cycling... If you can't beat them, join them... even my boss has started... Big%20smile Always asking for tips, one tip is 1% on the increase... Deal... or No Deal? LOL

20070319_140244_qwe.jpg