Yet another Cyclist knocked down

Warped

I had a very affluent rider throw a water bottle at me last week after I politely reminded him that red traffic mean "STOP"' date='not caution while using the intersection. He'sexcuse was that he is  tax paing citizen and can use the road as he pleases....

That the old geeze was in his late 40's and on a pricey Italian steed made it worse. An Educated person with a stupid attitude....sad, really sad..

I got angry with this old phuqwit and dearly wanted to show the way to Jesus but the key is that my brain was still working and overode the anger at having to avoid a 500ml flying projectile in Lakeside traffic.
[/quote']

GoLefty, I've had EXACTLY the same exchange, with EXACTLY the same *&%^ at EXACTLY the same intersection (Oxford Rd and Chaplin Rd, can even give dates!).  And the best of all. it's happened 4 times already, within a 3 week time period!!!!  And then he has the audacity to tell me to pull off so he and his friends can "show me a thing or 2" (which I did, and they cycled past, trying to spary me with energy drink).

Perhpas its the cyclists that need to take the first step. There is

nothing we can do about drunk drivers' date=' but trying not to piss the

average driver off may go a long way in saving lives.

[/quote']

Chunky, so true, BUT, how do you do/enforce this?  If one (only one) bunch f-s up, then it's cyclists in general again (een vrot appel in die pakkie!)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if the guy throwing the water bottles has a sponsorship for em, he seems to be loosing a few lately.

Angry

After I got knocked down last year I am more careful now than I've ever been even if it was not my fault. It bothered me for a long time & it's something I'll never forget. However since the beginning of the year count how many cyclists got killed - it frightens me - because no one seem to do anything about it. We talk / we protest but nothing. Cyclists (some of them) are idiotic fools / morons and down right stupid. I even thought of selling everything (I may just do that) but the road is aluring..I love cycling and what it does for me but it just is not worth it in this day & age...

I hate seeing a cyclist killed like this but we face it every time we go out there flashing front / rear lights and all. I may bow out sooner than what I thought from a great sport. My life is worth more than the best bike's in the world. Cry

"DTThumbs%20Up"

Lefty' date=' I suppose you are right.

I just get very pee'd everytime I hear what has happened. The last accident I witnessed was horrid. Its not nice seeing a person yuou ride with daily spread over 200 meters.

There are some very valid points on this topic. Riders are there own worse enemies on the road. The usual safety in number syndrome seems to apply when riding in bunches. I know I used to feel far safer when there was a big bunch, forgetting that it made it even more difficult for the motorists to pass.

My father for one complains to me every weekend about why cyclists have to take up the entire road. He also finds it difficult to understand why he gets sworn at when he ha sdone nothing wrong on the road.

Perhpas its the cyclists that need to take the first step. There is nothing we can do about drunk drivers, but trying not to piss the average driver off may go a long way in saving lives.
[/quote']

Chunky dude, I hear you.

I to  have seen some horrific accidents. Two were in PPA events but many years ago. In one event, on the way down Constantia Nek, a Guy was going too fast, and I think he suffered a front tyre puncture. He hit a horse trailer being towed up the Nek by a bakkie. He died of his injuries. Everyone was angry for witnessing the event and some blamed the driver for taking up too much space!

That was ludicrous I thught since he had every right to be there.

As cyclists I think we areoo aware of our vulnerability. This fear is active in our psyche but wetend topretend it's not there and perhaps this is why we often overreact or act irrationally on the road. I often view us as little chiwawa's (pooh spelling I know but can't be arsed to find the correct spelling for that poor breed...) barking at a great dane.

If we accept we're vulnerable then I think we'll behave differently.

The answers are in nature.

We're little so we need to make ourselves more visible or appearbigger.

How? Brighter clothes,reflective strips.

But smaller species have survived in nature because they are also smart. They use routes to  resources that have as few enemies as possible, instead of dogmaticlally sticking to the same routes.

Clearly, there is a gap in cyclist education in proper use of the road. I know PPA's Safe Cycling campaign will address some of these gaps but in the end, it's up to each of us to make a difference.

Peer pressure is still an effective way to get a change in behaviour. Change one guy and the rest will follow. Slowly at first, but eventually your riding group will behave differently.

I for one don;t ridewith people who;

1) jump the red light (ek m**r hulle)

2) don't wear a helmet (Sien bo)

3) wear their socks outside their shoes

I am a bit confused, so please correct me. Of all of the above accidents (including two deaths and one serious incident) the cyclists were cycling ALONE? Of the three accidents only ONE was there any reference to irresponsibility on the side of the cyclist. The other one the cyclist took evasive action. The last one was a commuter who was not training but working. In all incidents the vehicle fled the scene (A sure indication of a guilt? maybe).

So why are we jumping up and down about inconsiderate cyclists bla bla bal bla bla? Are we feeling a bit sensitive?

So far the statistics show (dispite Aikona's earlier post, with photo) that cycling in a large inconsiderate, ill disciplined group is safer than cycling lawfully and carefully alone. THe only incident where a group was threatened by a car was the bedfordview six incident (and even then there was a story behind the story). and about two years ago when a rave bunny fell asleep behind the wheel and "selected" a bunch of cyclists in Pretoria. Other than that it was been individuals (And small groups) that get wacked.

Is there a way forward? Why were the cyclists hit in the first place?

Were they visible? Did they have reflective clothing or white jerseys on? Did the have lights flashing?

Were the drivers of the vehicles educated about the rights of fellow road users (or did they sleep for their learners licences). Were they aware that the road they were using was frequented by cyclists? Were they aware of the speed of cyclists?

Were the cyclists wearing some for of identity bracelette?

The three steps to cycling safety, AWARENESS, VISIBILITY, IDENTIFICATION.

Educate your friends to THINK BIKE

be SEEN on the road

be IDENTIFIED after the accident.

condolences to all who have lost loved ones on South African roads

(Bleed published that one cyclist is killed a day in South Africa)