Yet another Cyclist knocked down

Warped

Guess What, another cyclist killed......

Hit-and-run claims delivery man

Johannesburg - A 20-year-old newspaper delivery man was killed in a hit-and-run incident while cycling in northern Johannesburg on Sunday, said emergency workers.

ER24 spokesperson Riana Beech said the incident occurred at around 05:00 on Witkoppen road just after the Douglasdale road turnoff.

Witnesses on the scene told emergency workers that the vehicle did not stop after hitting the 20-year-old.

A vehicle registration plate was found at the scene.

Paramedics found the man in the middle of the road with severe head injuries and multiple limb fractures.

His bicycle was broken in half.

The man's mother was contacted but her son died before she arrived on the scene.

She said she would never have thought that when he left home on Sunday morning, it would be the last time she saw him alive, said Beech.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove down Witkoppen about 10 minutes ago and there was a Metro van, a pathology vehicle and some people gathered there still. My GF says that if there is a death they can't leave the scene till it's been marked. Very sad, his bike was in pieces! Cry Pantani2007-03-18 04:39:05

Ah.. I suppose it happens so often nowdays nobody even gives a sh*t anymore do they.

Whats another few dead cyclists.

Dont worry, there were 30 000 odd prospective victims at the Argus.

Perhaps we need to wait untill 15 000 of those have been mutilated on the roads before we do anything.

But for now we will all just stand back and pretend nothing has happened.

Geez, this is right where I live.  I would have been on the road at the same time, and pretty close to that this morning, if I hadn't eaten something dodgy last night!

It is getting very hard to convince my wife that I am okay going riding at 4:30 in the morning!!

It is getting very hard to convince my wife that I am okay going riding at 4:30 in the morning!!

Imagine what its going to be like for someone having to explain you not coming home at 8 am either.Ouch

Imagine what its going to be like for someone having to explain you not coming home at 8 am either.Ouch

Yes, to my 5yr old and 7yr old after I keep telling them to go ride their bikes.

This is really sad to read. My condolences goes out to the families.

The anger and frustration is clear to read from all who have posted to this topic. Lets channel this anger & frustration in a more positive way. We cannot rely on the authorities to keep us safe. We need to start putting initiatives into place so as to create awareness for cyclists.

This week I have erected 16 signs along the Lido Route. A further 8 wre erected two weeks ago along Swartkoppies between the Lemon Tree and Klipriver Roads. These signs were paid for by sponsors and with the help from Gauteng Roads Maintenance were erected. These signs are no way enough on this 48km training route. We need to erect at least another 30 or so.  Lets try and raise funds for this initiative. If anyone knows of potential sponsors please PM me or visit www.sign-up.co.za

Lets start by making a difference.

shaunh, thanks for your efforts. it takes constructive reactions such as yours to help build awareness Hug

This is really sad to read. My condolences goes out to the families.

The anger and frustration is clear to read from all who have posted to this topic. Lets channel this anger & frustration in a more positive way. We cannot rely on the authorities to keep us safe. We need to start putting initiatives into place so as to create awareness for cyclists.

This week I have erected 16 signs along the Lido Route. A further 8 wre erected two weeks ago along Swartkoppies between the Lemon Tree and Klipriver Roads. These signs were paid for by sponsors and with the help from Gauteng Roads Maintenance were erected. These signs are no way enough on this 48km training route. We need to erect at least another 30 or so.  Lets try and raise funds for this initiative. If anyone knows of potential sponsors please PM me or visit www.sign-up.co.za

Lets start by making a difference.

Shaun, thanks for the work.  One thing though, the signs only work if motorists AND cyclists obey them.  Maybe put up a few signs showing cyclists that riding 3-5 abreast and over the white line is not the way to go (as per the Lido group yesterday at about 07:00 - 07:15).  Once again, clean our own house first!!!

I agree with Ewep.  The problem not only lies with motorist.  Clearly cyclists is at fault as well.  Just read the other posts on this board of cyclist throwing the finger at motorists. 

I agree totally. Until the attitude of cyclists change, then only can we expect motorists to respect us.

What I have started is really the tip of the iceberg. Education is really the key issue. Unfortunately the attitude of all South Africans is really shocking. It has to start with ourselves. If we respect ourselves then other people will respect us.

I am hoping that the erection of these signs will help make cyclist feel safer which in turn will ease the agression against motorists which in turn will create harmony amongst ALL road users. The slogan here: Be Courteous - Share the Road.
shaunh2007-03-19 01:30:16

Why is track cycling so dead in SA? I mean there's no traffic there and no potential bikes thieves there. Overseas it's huge, with all the roadies in this country I would have expected at least a relatively alive track scene.

may he have a speedy recovery.

luckily the $%^* who hit him got caught. maybe us cyclists need to think about rather picketing etc outside the courthouse when this $%^&* has to appear - that might do more good and create more awareness than any more protest rides

Now that is a logical way of thinking. What about a protest ride to the courthouse, these guys should be locked up. Getting pi$$ed and climbing into a car and hitting a cyclist= getting locked up for a long time!

It is time a guy like this is made an example of.