Fatal Oudshoorn accident

capeofstorms

Condolences to all those affected by this tragedy i really hope they bring the new law in, might not prevent accidents like this but will see drivers get harsher punishmentsUnhappy sad day

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is truly SAD news. I wish the family of the cyclist and the driver and his family strengh in this dificult time. Even though it might be his fault' date=' I'm sure he didn't wake up this morning and dicided to take out a group of cyclist. How many times don't we overtake somebody on the road and don't take a chance by doing so, because we dont have the patience to wait for 30 seconds before over take someone when it's safe to do so. Tryly a SAD, SAD day. [/quote']

In agreement here - extending grace and prayers and condolences to all involved...that accounts for all of us on the hub as well as we're reading and discussing this terrible tragic event - let calmness prevail, thank you Lord.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of these cyclists.  Also prayers to them all, as well as those who witnessed this. This is an image I hope to never experience.

It could easily have been any one of us when riding out there.  I'm sure most of us have had close shaves with vehicles and this just make me realize how blessed we are to be alive and safe.

May the rest in peace.Cry

People drive like absolute baboons in this country and they must pay the price for negligence. Huge accident on Boyes Drive on Saturday, the road was closed for hours at either end - a driver and two passengers were killed after the car plowed into a tree in the dip. A great many cyclists were on the road at the time and were lucky not to be taken out.

Yesterday I witnessed a car pull out of a side road on to Wynberg Hill and take out a cyclist descending towards Constantia, in plain view of the driver. Ironically the car was driven by a nurse on her way to work at Victoria Hospital.

terrible, thoughts and prayers to all involved, been thinking about getting back on a road bike but think ill stick to the MTB

Do you guys remember why the Argus bike race was started?  Mabe this is a very sobering reminder of that during this the week of the Argus.

My condolences to the family members and a full recovery to the cyclist in hospital. God be with you all.

How many people still remember what the actual reason for the Argus is? At rugby matches and other sport events they wear black arm bands around their left arm when in mourning. My question is, shouldn?t we be doing the same and put a fresh awareness on the Argus race and show our sympathy to the families of the cyclists that died in the past?

This is terrible news. The driver will be charged and convicted of culpabe homicide I am sure. My condlolnces to the families of the victims.

I have been hit by a car before and had several close shaves. I hardly do any road riding as a result. Last weekend I was on a short stretch of the R62 between Red stone Hills and Calitzdorp on my MTB - we ducked onto the gravel verge everytime a car came past. Not sure where these guys were riding but I think those country "freeways" are really unsafe - no yellow lane and high speeds with the shocking driver attitude in this country to add to it.

really sad to hear about cyclist in oudtshoorn, and its always a week before the argus when sh#t like this happens.

Just yesterday one of our cyclist got taken out by a NAVY vehicle with no reg plates in front of simonstow SAPS!!! Ended up with broken arm and torn shoulder muscles. Worst part about whole situation was the traffic officers(cct registered vehicle) on the scene let the bas#*rd go. We then took fotos of their registrations and of them, then one officer still shows us the finger with both hands. And these are the guys that 'suppose' to protect us on the roads....

There is a dangerous taxi driver doing the Navy run in Simons Town. He has PJ Njombe in big letters on his windscreen. Watch out for this clown, he drove past me at about 100 down the main road and missed me literally by centimetres.

I was quite pleased to see him shortly afterwards as he had to turn around and advised him that he'd be swapping his taxi for a wheelchair if he didn't learn to drive properly soon. Not so tough when you get up next to him and look him in the eyes.

My Condolences To the family....One Doesnt know what more one can say at times like these. 

The black armband idea is a good one Im up for that

I remember Hagar handing out black ribbons at the registration of Die Burger  (I think) a coule of years ago after  a bad accident.  Looks like nothing has changed...

The driver has been charged

According to the 5FM news this morning he overtook a truck and was blinded by the sun and did not see the cyclist.

Charged with culpable homicide.  Ouch