Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

Hi all, 

I want to order a build it yourself bamboo frame kit from Singapore? What category would that fall into as it is not a whole bicycle?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

Nick

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Are these fees still relevant looking at importing some spares from CRC?

They charge VAT 14 % plus clearance fee of about 2%, don't buy shoes from CRC it is 100%. Spares are OK.

Using the Duty calculator,

If I where to import 

Canyon ULTIMATE SL 9.0

which is 2199 - 19% tax = 1781 EUR

I get this, 

Total customs value (FOB): ZAR25129.01 This is the amount that customs values your import at - Duty: ZAR0.00 - VAT: ZAR3869.87 Total import duty & taxes due: ZAR3869.87 This is the amount that needs to be paid to customs Total landed cost: ZAR31676.45 This is the total cost of importing, including product, shipping, insurance and import duty & taxes      
Calculation and compliance notes

Notes on duty & taxes rates and compliance
  • Complete Bicycle is duty free and a has a VAT rate of 14% . Restrictions may apply for shipping this product with courier or postal companies [some probability]. Shipping prohibitions or restrictions may apply to bicycles and bicycle frames. Please, contact your courier.
Notes on import taxes due

I guess ± R33k depending on exchange rates. Is that an accurate assumption?

Your starting point is incorrect: Eur2199 is inclusive of 19% VAT, thus = 119%. Divide purchase price by 1.19 to get the exclusive amount, which is Eur1847.90.

(E.g. An item that cost R100 excl vat + 14% vat = R114. R114 * 14% = R15.96 which is not the VAT amount. R114/1.14 = R100; R114/114x14 = VAT)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know whether there would be duties on a Brooks saddle ordered from Wiggle and delivered to SA? Also would they add VAT?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys I know this post is quite old but I just wanted to ask how much the fees would be on a Garmin Fenix 3?

Does this fall under Cycling Electronics or will it be classed as a watch which has other fees.

Reason I ask is because Evans Cycles in the UK have the watch for R5350 where as locally I will be paying upwards of R8k for a new one.

https://www.evanscycles.com/garmin-fenix-3-EV242438#/modal__international-delivery-modal

Thanks 

Hi guys I know this post is quite old but I just wanted to ask how much the fees would be on a Garmin Fenix 3?

Does this fall under Cycling Electronics or will it be classed as a watch which has other fees.

Reason I ask is because Evans Cycles in the UK have the watch for R5350 where as locally I will be paying upwards of R8k for a new one.

https://www.evanscycles.com/garmin-fenix-3-EV242438#/modal__international-delivery-modal

Thanks 

Yes it falls under electronics so no added duty, so you'll pay 14% vat and a handling fee of ±200

cool thanks  :thumbup:

Believe that at your peril. No duties on electronics? WTF. You'll end up saving maybe R500 but you'll forfeit Garmin's excellent after sales service. Why take the risk?

Believe that at your peril. No duties on electronics? WTF. You'll end up saving maybe R500 but you'll forfeit Garmin's excellent after sales service. Why take the risk?

are garmin's that finicky that you need technical help within the warrantee period? I'm sure their service is still excellent, even if you have to pay for it yourself (if there's no international warrantee that is).

According to all the research I have done, Spoke101 is correct in saying that there is no duties on electronics and should be paying around R6500 with shipping for the Fenix 3 imported from the UK (dependent on exchange rate on the day of purchase and if Zuma says a speech).

Here in South Africa the cheapest I can find the same watch is R7400 (according to the price check) which is a saving of R900 (worth it in my opinion).

Also just phone Garmin and a warranty is valid irrespective of where the item was purchased as long as you have proof of purchase.