Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

Thanks MorneS555 this is a massive help! Going to import some Sram groupset and will save 50% on what they are charging over here!

who are you buying from that allows importing of SRAM stuff?

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any duties on camera equipment?

I want to bring in A charger and two batteries for a gopro from America

Alternatively if you're traveling to America in the near future pm me ;)

Any duties on camera equipment?

I want to bring in A charger and two batteries for a gopro from America

Alternatively if you're traveling to America in the near future pm me ;)

For which model? Maybe I can give you mine. I have a 5.

For which model? Maybe I can give you mine. I have a 5.

I just got the 7 , don't think they're compatible :(

Eish. Have you tried Action gear?

they don't have the brand I'm looking for , not that any of their products seem to be in stock 

"sold out" banners all over the site 

they don't have the brand I'm looking for , not that any of their products seem to be in stock

That sucks man. Sorry I couldn't help.

Give these guys a try

https://cameratek.co.za/collections/gopro

Hi everyone

Has anyone purchased a Canyon? Looking at Canyon via the Canyon website seeing that they are now direct to consumer and deliver to SA, but cautious about the import duty it might attract.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Hi everyone

Has anyone purchased a Canyon? Looking at Canyon via the Canyon website seeing that they are now direct to consumer and deliver to SA, but cautious about the import duty it might attract.

When I looked Into it, you added on 30% (15% duty and %15% vat or something like that) to the quoted price, and then add shipping. But I never bought one so cannot confirm the actual numbers

Hi everyone

There's a Canyon bikes thread. it has a great spreadsheet that will throw out a pretty accurate price to your door. Has all the shipping and duties etc. may just have to adjust the currency value accordingly.

Edit: Found it. Copied and pasted:

• There is no VAT on shipping
  • The Import VAT however is a more difficult calculation as all imports into SA is worked out on ATV (Added Tax Value)
  • For easy landed cost calculation in SA, we share this with customers: https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing
  • An SA citizen can make 3 imports per year on your ID number. Whether it is from books to bikes. SARS will stop your 4th import when your ID number is all maxed out and request an import code from you.
  • If the value of your import into SA is more than R50’000 you also need an Import Code.
  • If you purchase a Canyon (all coming from Germany), you can gladly use your own Importers Code. If you do not have one, we can easily clear your purchase with our local Import Code. The courier (UPS) will inform us when it is requested from SARS and as soon as they do we always just create the document to clear it anyhow on your behalf, so no struggle for the customer.
  • You will make two payments: One to Canyon for the bike, parts, frame, shipping and box. The other to UPS for the Duties and VAT once the bike arrives in SA
  • The fluctuating ZAR is a rather unique case for SA and something not normal for the Germans to experience, there is planning being done, although slightly difficult and slow, for a ZAR value on: www.canyon.com/en-za/
Edited by MarcBurger

There's a Canyon bikes thread. it has a great spreadsheet that will throw out a pretty accurate price to your door. Has all the shipping and duties etc. may just have to adjust the currency value accordingly.

Edit: Found it. Copied and pasted:

• There is no VAT on shipping
  • The Import VAT however is a more difficult calculation as all imports into SA is worked out on ATV (Added Tax Value)
  • For easy landed cost calculation in SA, we share this with customers: https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing
  • An SA citizen can make 3 imports per year on your ID number. Whether it is from books to bikes. SARS will stop your 4th import when your ID number is all maxed out and request an import code from you.
  • If the value of your import into SA is more than R50’000 you also need an Import Code.
  • If you purchase a Canyon (all coming from Germany), you can gladly use your own Importers Code. If you do not have one, we can easily clear your purchase with our local Import Code. The courier (UPS) will inform us when it is requested from SARS and as soon as they do we always just create the document to clear it anyhow on your behalf, so no struggle for the customer.
  • You will make two payments: One to Canyon for the bike, parts, frame, shipping and box. The other to UPS for the Duties and VAT once the bike arrives in SA
  • The fluctuating ZAR is a rather unique case for SA and something not normal for the Germans to experience, there is planning being done, although slightly difficult and slow, for a ZAR value on: www.canyon.com/en-za/

damned .... and those canyon prices were getting me excited :(

• 4 months later...