Wives Vs Cycling

Caerus

I only asked this after reading a story about the guy selling his bike cause of issues with the other half. Does it work the same for woman that ride and their partners? But if youre keeping fit. I suppose its all about the compromise, and the hiding of reciepts and goodies in a good place. :mellow:

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine (motorcyclist) once broke up with his girlfriend when she asked him the question: "If you had to, would you pick me or the bike?".

What pissed her off wasn't the fact that he chose the bike, but rather the speed with which he made the decision.

Not me, it does change a bit when you have kids - I suppose it's like anything in life just be responsible and weigh up every situation on it's merit.

Also I bought my wife a bike and encourage her to go spinning twice a week - not only does she not get fat (happens with wives) but she can now also have a lot more in common with me and have an understanding of why I do what I do.

Absolutely...and even better if they are just as MAD as DAD about their cycling. Mine is 13 & 14yrs old. The wife now has no choice in the matter but to join in on the fun over weekends.

I must admit...she LOVES the sport aswell.

My problem is the money i have to spend on me AND my girls bikes :lol: she morphed into a cycle fanatic.

Have to admit never thought i would get into cycling but i keep on having to buy better lighter equipment so that i can keep up with her skinny ass. B)

Food is now considered an optional extra in my house.

Amazing the quick replies :lol: . The wife even thought I was havin an affair - doh. So ive bought her a bike now.

...was just going to say the SAME. :lol: What a laugh about the affair bit. How similar we are (Hubbers/cyclist) in many aspects.

easy solution - ditch the complainant! (joke!!!) i'm single so i don't have this problem but if/when i find "mr right" he'll turn to "mr notright" if he expects me to change who i am for him.

The thing is a marriage is exactly to sound clichéd a give and take. I don't want to sound like the perfect guy but here is what works for me and my wife.

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday - my training days

Wednesday, Thursday - her spinning days

I make sure that by the time she gets back from spinning class that I have picked up my daughter from school, have cooked dinner and taken care of all the chores at home. On Saturday's and Sundays when I return from my ride I am outside with my daughter keeping her busy and allowing my wife some time to relax and enjoy her weekend.

My training days during the week she needs to do as I do on her training days.

Everyone needs their space and the secret is also to never give up your cycling time cause you will never get it back. As much as you want to just kick back and fall asleep on the couch after a hard ride that is a no no, you need to spend the quality time with your family and just hope that at some stage during the day they are going to want to sleep so that you can get in the shut eye you need. If not just suck it up and have fun with them - life is short after all!!

I am in Holland

I thought the same about the cost after living in the UK for 10 years, its a very expensive sport here. Especially now having to run and maintain 3 bikes. She is starting to understand as well, and that we get to spend time together and go away more as well. Weekends away camping & riding is good( three birds with one stone there) - Maybe cause she is an Aussie.

With me it is the time more than anything else...with the kids and their activities.

WHY is is that there is always a school sport match on when there is a lekka MTB event on?

Agree as I'm having the same issue.

At least my little Hubber is always keen for a spin, even if his Y-bike struggles to keep up with me :)

Right from the start, we reached an agreement on the time I would be granted to cycle. We have a 19 month old son, and they require a bit more attention than older children, and i want to be actively involved. I still dont get enough training in, but as dutchman said, and probably most of you, you have to compromise. A good spin-off from me cycling and getting into shape, is that it motivated the wife to start gymming recently, I let her do her thing, in order for me to do my think...and it works out well. And as a few of you said its about hiding receipts and goodies very very well. :lol:

Buy the wife a custom bike to get her onside ... she eventually gets addicted too! My wife's got three bikes now!And get a tandem - it's more work, and it demands patience and strength, but it works if you work on it, or you'll simply get divorced and problem over.

Then when the 1st kid pops up, get a bike seat and eventually get a trailer bike so you can still cycle everywhere.

Then when the 2nd kid pops up, put the 1st kid on its own bike, and tell it to start cycling, while the second sits on the trailer bike. Or put the first kid on the tandem, with the trailer bike behind the tandem - I've done 40Km rides with the two kids in tow!

Ja, this won't suit the race snakes, but you gotta do what you gotta do to be able to ride!

I was once given the chioce, "me or your bikes", so I went shopping for a king size bed, which my wife questioned immediately. So I replied, how the **** must I fit both my mtb and my road bike in a normal double bed, and still have a good night's rest. Once she realised that I was dead serious, she stopped her sh*t, and accepted the fact that I will cycle! The moral of the story, I am still married to my beautiful wife, and still ride both my bikes frequently,.... and still hide the new stuff and the receipts! :lol:

Agree with Muxman, besides if you love cyling you would be miserable without it, and that would aggrivate matters between you and your wife even further.

I have to admit I am lucky, i.e. my girl loves camping so we can chuck the bikes and the gear in the car and we can go on unplanned cycling/camping trips.

(Well once we dispatch the the little vermin like coppies of ourselves to the grandparents)

I cant think of anythig nicer for a couple to do, cycle in the morning, swim in ocean during the afternoon, and chill next to a fire under the stars with a case of red wine in the evenings.

Cmon tell your wifey to beat that scenario.

Buy your wife a bike!

My wife and I started out together, even before we were married. Yes, this also has it’s challenges, however, it’s still awesome! You always have a cycling buddy and training partner and if you can really organise you even have a designated driver for after those “post-race carbo load sessions”.

Why do you have to hide or lie about the new stuff? You money is your money right? In our household we both give towards the house fund and the rest is your own money. If you want to sped it on a car or on chocolates, it's your business.

@squier. I see what you are saying but I would not do that. Cycling is my thing. It's when I do what I want, when and how. I'm not expecting my partner now to by me an scrapbook album so that we can do that together.