Wives Vs Cycling

Caerus

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An artist, an architect, and an cyclist were sitting around discussing whether each enjoyed spending time with the wife or the mistress.

The architect says, "I like spending time with my wife, because the stability and endurance of my marriage helps me design better buildings."

The artist says, "I like spending time with my mistress, because the passion and mystery of the affair influences my art."

The cyclist says, "I like both."

The architect and the artist are puzzled. "Both?"

The cyclist replies, "Yeah, both. Each thinks I'm spending time with the other, and I can go riding!"

Only 1 women has commented so far - lol.

You can almost say I have experienced a bit of both worlds.

Previously hubby was a very keen cyclist. I went to most of the races with him, even with our son (since shortly after birth). I even got involved with managing his team a little bit in the form of doing support. I loved doing it "with" him, even though getting up so early really sucked. Over weekends his training took a lot of time, but I kept myself busy with stuff that I could do on my own. I had a problem with some (unnecessary) expenses, but I kept telling myself it's his money and usually didn't say anything about it.

He now has basically retired from cycling and I love the fact that we can go for breakfast together at the Irene mall on a Sunday. I like the fact that I have the option of leaving our son with him on a Saturday if I have to go for a long appointment at the hair dresser. I love the fact that he spends more time with our son.

Basically, what I want to say is, the wife determines how the husband's cycling affects her.

My wife owned 7 bikes vs my two when I met her. She kicked my butt then and still does now. But is it fun training/racing together.

Get your wife / girlfriend involved in the sport, once hooked they will stop complaining.

My wife loves it as much as I do, she does not even complain that I spend a lot of money on the sport, simply because she is also entitled to the same equipment as I am buying.

A friend of mine came home late on a Saturday after a very long ride, obviously his non cycling wife was upset with him, to which he replied " I don't understand why you are upset with me, I wasn't even here to upset you" needless to say he was on the dogbox for awhile..

You can almost say I have experienced a bit of both worlds.

Previously hubby was a very keen cyclist. I went to most of the races with him, even with our son (since shortly after birth). I even got involved with managing his team a little bit in the form of doing support. I loved doing it "with" him, even though getting up so early really sucked. Over weekends his training took a lot of time, but I kept myself busy with stuff that I could do on my own. I had a problem with some (unnecessary) expenses, but I kept telling myself it's his money and usually didn't say anything about it.

He now has basically retired from cycling and I love the fact that we can go for breakfast together at the Irene mall on a Sunday. I like the fact that I have the option of leaving our son with him on a Saturday if I have to go for a long appointment at the hair dresser. I love the fact that he spends more time with our son.

Basically, what I want to say is, the wife determines how the husband's cycling affects her.

I dont think it anyone should suffer from someone elses passion/hobby - Its all about the balance, something Ive had to learn, So I dont get up early every weekend, on alternate Sundays I go ride with her down the beach front while she rollerblades behind me, She loves doing that, I hate it.

There needs to be compromise from both people. :rolleyes:

I remember our second date with my (now) wife very clearly. We were at Pigalle in Green Point, having dinner and wine... the lights were dimmed... the band was playing a tune... and then I told her that I'm not ready for a relationship as cycling takes up too much of my time (I was training for Epic at the time) and that I don't want to be selfish. She gave me that "what the **** are you talking about" look. We split the bill and the drive to drop her off at her appartment was an akward one. The next 3 days it rained and I couldn't train. I realised that there may come a time when I won't be able to cycle and that I was dismissing someone that really seems to understand me. The rest is history. Last Friday we were married for 5 months. She now mountainbikes regularly with me and our friends (all be it at a slower pace) and loves every minute of it.

My girlfriend went bezerk a last week when I was on the phone organising with my mate about racing Nissan on sat and Dome on sun. WTF?

I can relate to that. Need to maybe put my foot down a bit as well. At least my gf wants to cycle but I will still need time to do my proper training.

My wife owned 7 bikes vs my two when I met her. She kicked my butt then and still does now. But is it fun training/racing together.

Who pays for the bike upgrades? :rolleyes:

Who get's to use the upgrades? :unsure:

Let's see if I have anything of interest to add:

I can't understand how women expect men to give up something they love or take an interest in... I think it sucks! My mom does it to my dad, every time he finds a sport/hobbie that he enjoys, she encourages it until he becomes an absolute addict and then cuts him off! We are a complicated bunch! I can't tell you why somedays we are in a bad mood!

I'm not married, but do mtb with my BF. Sometimes I think I am more of an addict than him! But I love that we do it together and I love that it is a healthy obsession (even if he spends 90% of his salary on cycling stuff).

I say, try get her involved, don't let anyone kill your dreams and use the shredder at work hehe...

Actually I like it that my wife dose not MTB with me. Some people find our relationship strange as its nice to do separate things, heck, we even have separate holidays each year.

But I am glad that my little Hubber gets all excited when we hit the local park with his Y-bike.

Let's see if I have anything of interest to add:

I can't understand how women expect men to give up something they love or take an interest in... I think it sucks! My mom does it to my dad, every time he finds a sport/hobbie that he enjoys, she encourages it until he becomes an absolute addict and then cuts him off! We are a complicated bunch! I can't tell you why somedays we are in a bad mood!

I'm not married, but do mtb with my BF. Sometimes I think I am more of an addict than him! But I love that we do it together and I love that it is a healthy obsession (even if he spends 90% of his salary on cycling stuff).

I say, try get her involved, don't let anyone kill your dreams and use the shredder at work hehe...

It's so lekka to hear a woman's perspective...

[side-bar comment: I know that not all of us are heterosexual... but most of us are. Let me continue...]

What I believe what women want is men who have great balance - enough time to be with them as well as furthering their 'wannabe-pro' careers in cycling.

Most men, including myself, tend to lose balance and 'overdo' it sometimes.

Some clues of 'overdo':

1. Am I more excited to hear from my cycling buddy on the cellular than to greet her after a day's work? NAH, NOT REALLY. B)

2. Do I speak about cycling-related topics in our social space more than half the time we are together? OOPS! :blink:

3. Do I go cycling when she's sick and actually needs me next to her to comfort her and fetch her orange juice from the kitchen? MAYBE. :huh:

4. Do I often complain about home repairs and nevva complain about the price of my post-race service at the LBS? NAH, NOT REALLY. :rolleyes:

AND, OF COURSE... There are the riders who go cycling to get away from their girlfriends and partners... Well, that is another conversation. :P

Great thread altogether!

It's so lekka to hear a woman's perspective...

[side-bar comment: I know that not all of us are heterosexual... but most of us are. Let me continue...]

What I believe what women want is men who have great balance - enough time to be with them as well as furthering their semi-pro careers in cycling.

Most men, including myself, tend to lose balance and 'overdo' it sometimes.

Some clues of 'overdo':

1. Am I more excited to hear from my cycling buddy on the cellular than to greet her after a day's work?

2. Do I speak about cycling-related topics in our social space more than half the time we are together?

3. Do I go cycling when she's sick and actually needs me next to her to comfort her and fetch her orange juice from the kitchen?

4. Do I often complain about home repairs and nevva complain about the price of my post-race service at the LBS?

AND, OF COURSE... There are the riders who go cycling to get away from their girlfriends and partners... Well, that is another conversation. :blink:

Great thread altogether!

I can understand this point, but I must say that being as obbsessive as we (cyclists) are, should be a good sign. Imagine how you'd look if you never followed through on anything? Humans are naturally obsessive, so it's a good thing its cycling we choose to obsess about?

Juslaaik die meeste van julle ouks is lekka doffff!!!!!!! Buy a Tandem...... even if you do not really fully convert to Tandemism, she will never really know whether that new wheelset is for the Tandem or not. Even better ..... get a road and MTB tandem...... but beware the cult of Tandemism is extremely contageous. You may end up ONLY cycling a Tande!!!!!!!!!