Wives Vs Cycling

Caerus

Thanks guys for reminding me how lucky I am! :) Gonna give my wife a big hug toninght.

She buys more mtb stuff for me than I do, pushes me out of bed in the mornings if I am lazy because she knows I'll be grumpy if I don't. Our planned weekends away are mostly around our races and she loves rocks and flowing singletrack as much as I do.....humbled

I would she needs more then just a big hug,lol.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eish! Yes I grapple with this issue regularly. Married with an 18month old son and finding time to get in a bit of cycling is a challenge. I spin at night in front of the TV sometimes and have bought a bike seat for my son so I can put him in that when I go for a ride. But you have to take it really easy - no rough stuff - when he is on the back. Have bought wife a bike but she cannot ride over the same terrain or keep up so it is either take it easy and ride with her (no real training benefit) or try to find a slot where I can get out and do a quick 1 or 2 hour ride solo. I enjoy riding with her but it's doesn't tick the same boxes compared to riding solo or with mates.

We had a big fight about this just this weekend - I was trying to indulge my other passion - fishing. Was fishing at Jozini and caught a few nice ones. Wanted to have another fish at sundown but she wanted to spend time with me. I guess you cannot argue with someone wanting to spend time with you but when you get that urge to fish (and you cannot indulge that much in JHB) it is hard not to want to rush out there and catch a big one!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs189.ash2/45270_464673960148_739155148_6878332_7932309_n.jpg

My Wife asked me if I would let my new wife/girlfriend ride her bike if she died ........ I said " hell no your a small and she's ride a medium........" <_<

This thread is useless without pictures...

Don't you watch Chuck?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tvsquad.com/media/2008/12/11_yvonne-strahovski_081213b.jpg

I have a friend that divorced her husband because he only ever spent time mountain biking...but she wont even get on a bike. She obviously doesnt know what she's missing.

And my girlfriend keeps on saying that my bikes are my other mistresses. So long as my affairs are with bikes rather than women..we're good. Luckily she cycles with me because i upgraded her form a 21" Genesis hardtail, to a 17.5 " Raleigh RDS7 to a 16" Santa Cruz Juliana which fits her well.

My wife tells everybody about how the only reason I don't take my bike to bed is because it would leave grease marks on the sheets.

But I tell her that what makes me love her is what makes me love my bike. Love is an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, which I suffer from. If I didn't suffer from it I would not be able to love her, the bike, chocolate milkshake, etc.

Next I'm going to practice making eyes like the Toyota boxers.

Don't you watch Chuck?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tvsquad.com/media/2008/12/11_yvonne-strahovski_081213b.jpg

I will start watching now... Damn!

My wife excepts me having to vent work frustration on training/cycling. She also knows when I am looking at some girl cycling I am checking the bike out more than the girl!

All my saved favourite internet sites are either work or cycle related.

Money wise? As I said in a previous thread I (we) have been spending more money on wine the last two years.

Time? This is sometimes an issue - especially on week-ends, I have skipped watching TV completely and train very early in the mornings, we also do alot of stuff together (prepare food, drink the above wine, etc.)

@squier. I see what you are saying but I would not do that. Cycling is my thing. It's when I do what I want, when and how. I'm not expecting my partner now to by me an scrapbook album so that we can do that together.

I hear you, and I agree that you need to have your own hobbies as well. Cycling is our thing, everything that we plan (holidays, weekends, etc) get's planned with cycling in mind. It's an awesome way to spend time together. Personally, I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if I were to ride alone, as for me it's not about the experience but the people you share it with. You can have an awesome experience on the bike and tell someone about it, but it's just different when the person is actually there and you experience it together. I guess that just how we all differ...

Don't you watch Chuck?

If my wife looked like that I would give up cycling - for a week.

If my wife looked like that I would give up cycling - for a week.

somewhere, there is a guy whos had enough of her sh*t

I would encourage all to get your wife's/gf's to join you - one never knows how talented they are!

My wife had done very little cycling before she started out and was even exempted from sports at high school because of her art and 2 years on she gets paid to cycle!

That way she subsidises my cycling - she even bought me a pretty expensive bike last year - so I must be doing something right :D

It's been great to see her improve over the years, not so great when she drops me though - but she'll have to do so more often if she wants to compete overseas. It was a bit frustrating for me when we started out (waiting or fetching her after a hill), but her progress has been amazing!

Training with a PT has helped a lot (quality vs quantitiy) - that way we both train in our zones and get the most benefit!

Did no sport, had no hobbies or had any friends outside work for over 13 years because it was "not convenient for the family" etc! How stupid was I and was on a slippery slope to death so just did it. Think the heath thing changed her mind a little - me being dead also not conveneint for family. Having to watch spending and not riding as much as I would like but best thing I have ever done for myself. And now the rest are starting to join in too :)

Did no sport, had no hobbies or had any friends outside work for over 13 years because it was "not convenient for the family" etc! How stupid was I and was on a slippery slope to death so just did it. Think the heath thing changed her mind a little - me being dead also not conveneint for family. Having to watch spending and not riding as much as I would like but best thing I have ever done for myself. And now the rest are starting to join in too :)

Gosh, did they lock you up or something - how does that happen. If I was you, get on the bike and dont look back ;)