The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

Hi Guys

Need some advice...

Looking to buy a bike for my 5yo daughter but looking to get something decent as heard the "Game & Makro bikes" are no good and fall apart in no time..

I also have a 1.5yo that will make use of it at a later stage

What are your suggestions?

TIA

My son is on a 16" "MTB". Think it's a Raleigh. Single speed. I have modified the front sprocket though... 

The standard front sprocket is too big for them to be able to climb nicely. I took to it with an angle grinder and cut the toothed part off. Had an old cassette and stripped that to get the 30 tooth. Drilled holes in the tabs left on the original crank and mounted the sprocket. Lighty is happy. He can now pedal up hills (well most of them).

I digress though... most of the 16" steel bikes are fine. Ours is onto it's 3rd generation of rider. They are heavy but they are strong. When our's changed hands, a new set of grips and some cool valve caps were fitted. Like a new bike  :thumbup:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got my boy a Giant 16". They all weigh about the same, around 12kgs (more than my 650b :eek: ). I bought a luggage scale and checked a few brands. The giant has front and back brakes with the callipers made of metal and not plastic. It was more expensive than the other brands but seems like it would out let them. 

Riding spruit with the kids was eventfull. Little dude went through the tunnel under the roads near emmerentia and miss judged the red exit ramp at the end.

Went left off the ramp and proceeded to face plant and mud angel. As I got the tears were pouring. Thinking damage to body was the cause, jump down to retrieve kid from the mud. Only tobe told that he was crying because his new shirt was now dirty

post-47178-0-46824500-1448815347_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys

Need some advice...

Looking to buy a bike for my 5yo daughter but looking to get something decent as heard the "Game & Makro bikes" are no good and fall apart in no time..

I also have a 1.5yo that will make use of it at a later stage

What are your suggestions?

TIA

Have a look at the Frog bikes, alu frame so doesn't weigh a ton and decent components so will last.

http://www.ballisticbiketrading.co.za/frog-bikes/

• 2 weeks later...

Sjoe!! Gearing already. Only getting my 4 1/2 yr old onto a 16" now. Well done

Yeah! He cant get on by himself yet lol,.. but once he's on, he stays on!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At the beginning of the year my goal was to get my 4 year old riding a bike without his training wheels. After 3-4 days he had it waxed. His incentive was a new bike as his 2 year old brother also needs a bike. So off we went and got him a bike. He was super happy as the bike has a stand and a bell.

We have been going down to the beachfront often but of late I found he wasn't enjoying it so much. I think he found the crowds of people intimidating. So this past week I asked him if he wants to go ride a "special" track and he seemed very excited about it. So I built up the excitement all week and finally yesterday I got to take him to Norm-huddlin. At first we did a 2 km loop and when we got back to the car he wanted to go on another loop. He had so much fun and hasn't stopped speaking about it and wants to go back already.

Here is the little guy on the trail

post-9770-0-97151600-1455557618_thumb.png

Edited by fabes

• 3 weeks later...

To all who is getting their kids riding . . .

I need some advice please. 

My son is turning 2-years in a months time. 

He always rides with me on the star-seat thing I got at Sportsman Warehouse. 

December I stumbled onto a Sale at a Specialized shop and bought him this S-Works  model.  :clap:

http://mikesbikes.com/images/library/zoom/b4e0_06_hot_hotwalk_boy_red_wht_blk_spzld_13_z.jpg

Is Two years to early for this walking bike?

Where to I start?

Just leave him top figure out that he must kick himself to get momentum to stay upright or send him down the inclined driveway?

It bothers me that this does not have brakes? :wacko:  :eek:

He does have a helmet he always put on when we go riding, but where to I get full body armour for a 2-year old? 

He will appreciate any help. 

Both my son and daughter started out on JD bugs at age 2. They figure it out very quickly and loved it immediately.

The brake wasn't really used as their small hands weren't strong enough. They used their feet/shoes to get going and control speed.

Helmets are mandatory.

http://www.ks-cycling.com/dokumente/artikel/FotoGross/603-JD-13-BACHTENKIRCH-12-ZOLL-MINI-KINDERFAHRRAD-KIDS-ALU-LERNLAUFRAD-JD_BUG_BILLY-BLAU-L.jpg

Both my son and daughter started out on JD bugs at age 2. They figure it out very quickly and loved it immediately.

The brake wasn't really used as their small hands weren't strong enough. They used their feet/shoes to get going and control speed.

Helmets are mandatory.

http://www.ks-cycling.com/dokumente/artikel/FotoGross/603-JD-13-BACHTENKIRCH-12-ZOLL-MINI-KINDERFAHRRAD-KIDS-ALU-LERNLAUFRAD-JD_BUG_BILLY-BLAU-L.jpg

Yip, my daughter also started after her second birthday on the JDBUG.  they figure it out as they do everything else.