The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a nice chat with Maritz last night.

He enjoys the ride and the scenery.  BUT, he does not like the large crowd of a fun-ride.

He is that kid that plays with his 3 or 4 buddies, but stands aside when a group gets too big or roudy ....

seems we will be doing our rides for the next few months .... Meerendal hier kom ons weer  :thumbup:

you're an awesome godfather!

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe slightly off-topic ... but hey, THIS is where we read about our kids rides ....

Maritz is progressing nicely, and ENJOYING trail riding.  But corrugations are not fun with a rigid bike .....

in the 20'' bike size - what bikes offer a decent front shock ?

Is it all the same basic spring loaded shock, or is there something better ???

Maybe slightly off-topic ... but hey, THIS is where we read about our kids rides ....

Maritz is progressing nicely, and ENJOYING trail riding. But corrugations are not fun with a rigid bike .....

in the 20'' bike size - what bikes offer a decent front shock ?

Is it all the same basic spring loaded shock, or is there something better ???

I had to kill a lot of time in a bike shop the other day. Played with all the 20" shocks, more of a Gimic or for big drops.

Would suggest a ghetto tubeless. Kids are so light will be no problem!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Pure Savage

Thank you PureSavage.  Your feedback is echoed by most of the bike shops ...

Any other comments on shocks on kids bikes ?

I am surprised by the number of SALES-STAFF at various bike shops that are "less than impressed" with the functionality and quality of the Sunrace shocks on these small bikes.  

I could track down one 24'' bike that has an air-shock ... almost 9k ....

Do we stay with a rigid bike until he gets to a 26'', and can get properly functioning components ?

Edited by ChrisF

It was a few years ago, I know, but I found all the shorter forks so totally crappy that they might as well have been rigid.

It was a few years ago, I know, but I found all the shorter forks so totally crappy that they might as well have been rigid.

Seems there have been little to no progress in this market segment ....

Went from "SR" to "XCR" and "XCT", but the feedback seems to be much the same ..... 

Granted one expect "some" bad feedback on the web, but when most bike shops agree .....

Done many races the last two years together. Some big ones like Van Loveren JAVA (The 20km not the short) Burger MTB, Argus MTB. Was the best investment ever made. Feels great to do a race with your kid and even better to hear her scream with pleasure when you pass other riders!

I'm losing my co-pilot this year as she is going solo!

post-101350-0-21266000-1496473148_thumb.jpg

Done many races the last two years together. Some big ones like Van Loveren JAVA (The 20km not the short) Burger MTB, Argus MTB. Was the best investment ever made. Feels great to do a race with your kid and even better to hear her scream with pleasure when you pass other riders!

I'm losing my co-pilot this year as she is going solo!

At least you are training up her replacement riding partner  :thumbup:   :clap:

And YES - absolutely nothing as rewarding as a few trails with the little ones !!

Shocks or no shocks .....

Saturday morning we set out to go find a bike .....

At Cycle4Life in Paarl they have a couple of options :

- Rigid

- entry level front shock

- Momsen with a front shock ....

The Momsen is almost 1,5kg lighter than the entry level with a front shock.

The "feel" between the two shocks is obvious.  On the Momsen the shock has an adjustable pre-load.  This is the classic shock with a coil spring in it, basic, but functional.  The cheaper unit has some rubber insert - this is the unit that gets such bad publicity.

For better or worse, I decide to take the chance and bought the Momsen ... hoping the shock is more than a gimmick .....

At home there is a low curb between the road and the driveway .... just high enough that it actually pushes the front wheel OFF the ground when riding at about 10km/h :

post-110956-0-57219300-1496590717_thumb.jpg

This curb quickly shows the shock on the Momsen actually DOES work :

UN-compressed -

post-110956-0-20017300-1496590794_thumb.jpg

Compressed -

post-110956-0-45685200-1496590826_thumb.jpg

PS - once again saw just how much lower the saddle on the Makro TOTEM is !!  Had to get a different saddle rod, and invert the mounting bracket to drop the seat as low as possible on the Momsen.  Still about 4cm higher than on the TOTEM low setting.  At least he should get a few years service out of this bike before he grows into a 24'' ....

Maritz must have loved the new bike on his ride yesterday afternoon. The wind was not pleasant up the hill to the entrance and he gave me the most encouraging wave out the window as you pulled out of Meerendal.

Maritz must have loved the new bike on his ride yesterday afternoon. The wind was not pleasant up the hill to the entrance and he gave me the most encouraging wave out the window as you pulled out of Meerendal.

Hehehe ...  Teaching him to greet fellow cyclists.  He loved that you waved back !

JIP.  He LOVED the ride.  Even on the dam wall we were leaning heavily into the wind just to go straight !

Finished lap one ... "Kan ons asseblief nog een keer oor die dam wal ry?"

The Momsen has a much smaller front cogg than the previous bike, thus he can now ride up all the way past the vinyard to the tar road.  It also means he spins out out at low speed ... so yesterday I showed him how to use the gears ....

"One click" was half a turn and he was immediately over 30km/h !!!  He got a good fright and slowed down .....

Back home I turned the limit screws .... he now only has 4 gears, reducing his max speed a bit.  :)

Shocking what bike prices are for these small bikes hey.

Keep the rubber on the gravel!

Shocking what bike prices are for these small bikes hey.

Keep the rubber on the gravel!

...uhmmm jaaaaa......

Various options around R3 500 to R 3900, in the 20'' size - Titan etc.

Many of the "known" cycles shops have kiddy bikes for R5 or R6k ....  Specialized even has one for R8,5k !

We got the Momsen for R4 200.  No discount, but with a few extras added to the deal. 

Certainly not cheap .... but that chilly windy ride on Saturday, and that smile as he enjoys the ride .... priceless !!

Edited by ChrisF