The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

we go camping for the weekend,

let's take bikes...for the kids

all the kids got bikes.

so let's have a race!!

attachicon.gifbikerace.jpg

up the road and turn around the post and back home.

not sure who won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5EaSab0YYI

We didn't do a second race

(no kids were harmed in the filming of this video - well the tears disappeared pretty quickly!).

And I thought the naked rides happened in bigger cities and much bigger groups or was that a streaker of some sort [emoji15]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Edited by BSG

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup: That brought back some memories - when mine were about that age we did a ride in Jonkershoek (gotta bring them up right eh?). The older one rode with me and did a face plant that left him grazed from head to toe. I coaxed him back onto the bike and back to the car by promising to fix it all with My Magic Mercurochrome. The younger one rode with my wife and crashed just as badly. She coaxed him along and back to the finish by promising him the Biggest Slice of Chocolate Cake he could eat........the difference between mothers and fathers! :whistling:  :D

Second time I did Hazeldal with Maritz he stopped on one of the bridges ... his foot slipped through the poles of the bridge and he fell off his bike, then him and the bike went off the bridge into the dry river bed ....  :eek:

I had to push his bike back to the restaurant, because "my kniee bewe te veel, ek kan nie nou ry nie"  :wacko:

After a cream-soda float he was begging to go for a second loop of the track !   :thumbup:

Second time I did Hazeldal with Maritz he stopped on one of the bridges ... his foot slipped through the poles of the bridge and he fell off his bike, then him and the bike went off the bridge into the dry river bed .... :eek:

I had to push his bike back to the restaurant, because "my kniee bewe te veel, ek kan nie nou ry nie" :wacko:

After a cream-soda float he was begging to go for a second loop of the track ! :thumbup:

Hesitation leads to devastation. It is good to learn this principle of mountain biking early on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hesitation leads to devastation. It is good to learn this principle of mountain biking early on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JIP !

We had a nice chat .... he got the basic idea.  Either GO, or STOP, but never do it half way.

Two weeks later I DEMONSTRATED this principle at Meerendal. Doing the loop towards the dam wal, at the start you go up the road, turn right, and then about 50m further there is an option to go left over a bridge .... badly misjudged myself !!  Little step onto the bridge ... yada yada .... before I was onto the bridge I KNEW I was in trouble !!! Stood on the pedal and pulled the handles and stood on the pedals ... gained a few more meters before I steered off the bridge, and did a classic "over the bars" ....  :oops:

I had not properly landed when I asked: "Is jy okay?"   :whistling:

Took a moment to pick up the bits of my ego splattered all around .....  

Later we had a nice chat .... Hoekom het ek geval ?  Want ek moes nie so stadig oor die bruggie gery het nie .... STOP of RY ....

Here's me an my lad going for a forest ride a few weekends back. He's 4.5 years old and literally lives on his bike (much like I used to!).

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2mdlb0p.jpg

Been reading through the thread but there are a lot of pages and haven't found what i'm looking for.... please help.

Our group has now got a kiddies group and they do around 15km ride every weekend. I want to take my daughter along for the first time, she can ride but I am not sure if she can ride the distance. in case she needs help in the last few km what is the best way to tow them without these fancy trailers? and without a chance of hurting them? A normal tow rope around both bikes?

When i think about it I always think of those videos where towing has gone wrong and through the car windscreens. In this case rope in the teeth  :eek:  

Anyone tow their kids around? 

Peds rather do a few rides just the two of you.

do keep a bags of favorite sweets handy .... they get bored.  Stop, watch the flowers.  Climb a tree ... have a sweet, do a few more kilos ....

Maritz coped with 12km a few months before his 6th birthday.  BUT, every 2 to 3km we took a short break.  He now easily does a tough 6km in a single go.

the one thing I HAVE learnt - each kid handles this differently !!

Maybe your daughter gets on the bike and keeps going and going ....  maybe she needs regular stops ....

Wishing you well on this journey.  :)

PS - I certainly wont "tow" Maritz ....  Sometimes I do ride next to him on steep sections, put my hand on his back and help him up the steep parts .... (actually a nice workout for me)

My son is 8 and has been chasing me to get him cleats. He managed to win a prize at the Like2Bike series a week back. It is a pair of  Maglock Pedals. (www.maglockbikepedals.co.za)

Wow what a brilliant idea. I fitted them and removed half the magnets to reduce the amount of stick.

We rode Northerns and Spruit this weekend and he is happy with the way they work. Helped keep his feet on the pedals when doing the bumps and burms in Delta

post-47178-0-69270000-1510679788_thumb.jpg

Been reading through the thread but there are a lot of pages and haven't found what i'm looking for.... please help.

Our group has now got a kiddies group and they do around 15km ride every weekend. I want to take my daughter along for the first time, she can ride but I am not sure if she can ride the distance. in case she needs help in the last few km what is the best way to tow them without these fancy trailers? and without a chance of hurting them? A normal tow rope around both bikes?

When i think about it I always think of those videos where towing has gone wrong and through the car windscreens. In this case rope in the teeth  :eek:  

Anyone tow their kids around? 

Noooo, DON'T try and tow! It will end in tears.

Rather ride with her so you can give her a push where needed and coach her along. 

Noooo, DON'T try and tow! It will end in tears.

Rather ride with her so you can give her a push where needed and coach her along. 

I dont necessarily want to tow her and she might even do the full distance I am just thinking if i am far from the car and she is done how do i get her back. Sort of a backup plan...

I dont necessarily want to tow her and she might even do the full distance I am just thinking if i am far from the car and she is done how do i get her back. Sort of a backup plan...

This is why our first couple of rides were at Hazendal.

short loop, and you are never far from the starting point.  For longer distances just repeat the loop a few times ....

Those that have been to the Hermanus trails knows the little bump-track in front of Eoudia cycles -

post-110956-0-68890600-1511028365_thumb.jpg

Even after a 12km ride I cant get Maritz off this bump track ....

He has an inner-ear infection, so I dont want to do a long trail now ....  But he really wanted to go do this pump-track.  "Bit" of a drive from Bellville to Hermanus for a 100m loop ....  :whistling:

Adding in a couple of family stops we did get to the pump track today .....  I was ready for 5, maybe 10 minutes ....

After the first THREE KILOMETERS I took a seat and watched him go round and round and round .... joined in for more laps .... sat out some more ... and then some more laps ... :eek:

By the end he had the pump motion going pretty well.  Even got standing and pedling at the same time .....  And then I noticed how brave he got around the one bend ....  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

post-110956-0-40639300-1511028681_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisF

Those that have been to the Hermanus trails knows the little bump-track in front of Eoudia cycles -

attachicon.gifIMG_0330 (Large).JPG

Even after a 12km ride I cant get Maritz off this bump track ....

He has an inner-ear infection, so I dont want to do a long trail now .... But he really wanted to go do this pump-track. "Bit" of a drive from Bellville to Hermanus for a 100m loop .... :whistling:

Adding in a couple of family stops we did get to the pump track today ..... I was ready for 5, maybe 10 minutes ....

After the first THREE KILOMETERS I took a seat and watched him go round and round and round .... joined in for more laps .... sat out some more ... and then some more laps ... :eek:

By the end he had the pump motion going pretty well. Even got standing and pedling at the same time ..... And then I noticed how brave he got around the one bend .... :clap: :clap: :clap:

attachicon.gifIMG_0784 (Large).JPG

There is a (much) bigger pump track at Helderberg Farm outside Somerset West. If he gets the hang of it, maybe test it. If he doesn't like it, there are animals to pet, a couple of loops in the forest (granny's forest loop should be lekker) and a coffee shop on site.

• 1 month later...

So...last Xmas Santa delivered a mountain bike for Erik. I hadn’t ridden since the 90s and had almost zero interest in getting fit, losing weight or just being active...but, an excited kid leads to dusting off the ancient bike and trying out the easy vineyard ride at Meerendal...Erik loved it and the bug bit Dad hard too!

I know it’s nothing compared to a lot of you guys and girls, but I’m proud of my couch to 1500km year and the 10kg that I left on Tygerberg Hills.

So it was only fitting that Erik and I head out on Xmas Day to try out the Hoogekraal Skills Park. A bit windy, but we managed quit a few repeats, enjoying the different lines and challenges. What a great place to go and play.

ab676d2543220ae46b607f7e4f50e65a.jpg

a072ed0c8a2d8b2213174543a5fb3211.jpg

Merry Xmas BikeHub.It’s been a great year!

a055b6103e109d9a1c3b8e033580e835.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds cool

Thanks for mentioning

Will be out there with my son in the week

Tomorrow first boxing day in parl

Track cycling is one if the best ways to develop the kids

That sounds cool

Thanks for mentioning

Will be out there with my son in the week

Tomorrow first boxing day in parl

Track cycling is one if the best ways to develop the kids