• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

February 2017 -

post-110956-0-53902800-1518374311_thumb.jpg

Few weeks later -

post-110956-0-57709000-1518374345_thumb.jpg

This bike went to his parents house, and we got him this beauty for when we ride trails -

post-110956-0-91831300-1518374411_thumb.jpg

Many trails and a couple of fun rides later .... February 2018 and Maritz, now 6 1/2, is getting comfortable with single tracks.

post-110956-0-34969300-1518374502_thumb.jpg

He is much more confident, though fortunately still cautios.

Explosive power, but lacking stamina for the longer climbs.  We now have a pattern where I ride next to him, engage the granny, and put my hand on his back and we make our way to the top of the long hills.

The one constant - he LOVES his cream-soda float after a ride.  And every so often I rope him in to clean his bike after a ride: "Ons speel lekker, maar dan diens ons ons fietse".

Ooo, and the camera goes along, always.  Stopping to enjoy the scenery is very much part of our rides.

Wonder how long before I cant keep up with him ....  :whistling:   :wacko:

Edited by ChrisF

• 2 weeks later...

Skills training and kids ....

12 Months later and Maritz is doing well on the bike.  Doing more and more single track downhill sections.

For now the rule on downhill sections is - take it SLOW, keep the LEFT hand lightly on the brake (rear brake), and DONT touch the front brake on downhill sections.  

Wondering when the right time is to take him (and me) to a proper skills coach ?

And where do we find somebody in the Western Cape that trains a 6 year old ??

Edited by ChrisF

Skills training and kids ....

12 Months later and Maritz is doing well on the bike.  Doing more and more single track downhill sections.

For now the rule on downhill sections is - take it SLOW, keep the LEFT hand lightly on the brake (rear brake), and DONT touch the front brake on downhill sections.  

Wondering when the right time is to take him (and me) to a proper skills coach ?

And where do we find somebody in the Western Cape that trains a 6 year old ??

Took my kids to a guy this weekend, he's great and teaches a lot of kids.

I just don't know if he teaches kids from outside of the institution he is connected to.

I'll check and let you know.

best bike race EVVA!

Wow, that brought back wonderful memories. It feels like just the other day I did that with my ones, but a decade flashed by and last week my youngest (17) offered to ride tandem with me (again) and I know that this time it is because he is gatvol of waiting for me on the top of every hill.

Edited by DJR

We did an 11km jaunt round thaba this wkd.

One thing about thaba is it finishes with 2 stiff little climbs for a 6 yr old. He makes it up both most times but only with lots of encouragement. But then 243m ascent is a fair amount in 11km coupled with a fairly rocky terrain .

He loves the sweet (fruit pastille) breaks ???? and milkshakes after.

post-51529-0-88733700-1520251785_thumb.jpeg

post-51529-0-94775600-1520251827_thumb.jpeg

My commute now includes taking Alex to school as well. If not, PetiteGiant spends an hour in traffic doing the school run. We only live 2km from the primary shool, but 5km from playschool - in a different direction. Stellenbosch traffic is ridiculous. 

Well, the bike drop-off is much lekkerder: Up G Spot, down Coetzenburg XC track to say hi to Aztec the Appaloosa, the other horses and cattle at the University Farm and then on to school. Alex decided that we should have our breakfast "on the mountain" this morning. (EDIT: Added pic)

post-33762-0-96996900-1520319477_thumb.jpg

Edited by Patensie

My commute now includes taking Alex to school as well. If not, PetiteGiant spends an hour in traffic doing the school run. We only live 2km from the primary shool, but 5km from playschool - in a different direction. Stellenbosch traffic is ridiculous. 

Well, the bike drop-off is much lekkerder: Up G Spot, down Coetzenburg XC track to say hi to Aztec the Appaloosa, the other horses and cattle at the University Farm and then on to school. Alex decided that we should have our breakfast "on the mountain" this morning. (EDIT: Added pic)

THAT IS AWESOME!

stellenbosch traffic is riduclous and the obvious answer it it really should be a biketown. thanks for showing the way!

Took my kids to a guy this weekend, he's great and teaches a lot of kids.

I just don't know if he teaches kids from outside of the institution he is connected to.

I'll check and let you know.

THANKS !!

Had our first session this morning.  Jaco KNOWS his way around kids and bikes -