The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

THANKS !!

Had our first session this morning.  Jaco KNOWS his way around kids and bikes - 

This was super cool too watch!!!! Proud dad and chuffed kid. Well done to the instructor.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOT KIDS BIKE TIME NOW!

p5pb15178444.jpg

this is probably a repost, but so worth it

that is fabian barel's kid's bike.

even got a bit of rear travel

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-check-victor-barel-2017.html

so i go check out their other offerings.

bliksem.

Canyon-Young-Hero_Offspring-16_performan

https://www.canyon.com/en-za/kids/offspring-al-16.html

Disc brakes, 2 spd auto gearbox.

all for $320. which is about R4k in today's money.

Edited by Shebeen

Kids lids .....

When we bought the Momsen in June 2017 we got a Bontrager lid as part of the sale (bought the Momsen from my TREK dealer in Paarl).

At the time the "kids lid" fitted perfectly.  Last few rides Maritz complained a bit about the lid, but I could not spot the problem ... until Saturday.  The unit is now too "narrow", and presses hard against the side of his head !!

Popped in at my LBS this afternoon looking to pick up the "next size" helmet ....

The assistant tried on virtually every helmet in the store .....

So here is what we learnt today :

For the typical kid wearing 5 to 7 year clothing - a "48 to 55cm" lid works well.

post-110956-0-20793400-1521139609_thumb.jpg

For the typical kid wearing 7 to 9 year old clothing - a "54 to 61cm" lid works well

post-110956-0-46689200-1521139641_thumb.jpg

PS - looking at the number of helmets he tried on it is NOT that straight forward !!!!

This second size seems to be hens teeth !!!  Most the helmets fell "over" his head and almost covered his eyes .....

They had a blue and white unit .... he chose white, now we both have white helmets.

post-110956-0-60019200-1521139703_thumb.jpg

For the sake of interest.  the smaller unit has an inside measurement of 15cm side-to-side.  The next unit has another 2cm side-to-side measurement.

I first saw this thread in 2010 and have commented a few times to it. All I want to tell you guys is that time really flies! As now I am doing efforts on my kid's wheel and cant pass anymore!

They getting bigger and faster and we are getting older and slower!

I first saw this thread in 2010 and have commented a few times to it. All I want to tell you guys is that time really flies! As now I am doing efforts on my kid's wheel and cant pass anymore!

They getting bigger and faster and we are getting older and slower!

By the time Maritz gets his legs I will be mid 50's ....   :eek:

and may well find an excuse for an ebike ...  :whistling:

The  new Hazendal Family Bike Park is open - ideal place to ride with kids. Situated on Bottelary road just outside of Brackenfell.  Full details on

https://www.facebook.com/Hazendal-Family-Bike-Park-MTB-Trail-163659707302883/

The park features a pump track, skills trail, kiddies skills trail, Y-bike track, flow trail and a 5 km flat, easy to ride, single track cross country trail   

Open from 8 am to 5 pm (closed on Mondays, unless Monday is a public holiday).

post-4890-0-61648000-1521812308_thumb.jpg

post-4890-0-80554000-1521812318_thumb.jpg

post-4890-0-08890400-1521812349_thumb.jpg

post-4890-0-22806100-1521812364_thumb.jpg

This ^^^^^^^ Awesome Awesome Awesome ????????????

Is there anything like this in the big smoke?

Hi All, 

Anybody know where can get Frog bikes or Isla bikes in SA?

Otherwise going to get one in the UK. 

Any other 5/6kg 14' tyre toddler bikes?

Hi All, 

weight weenie!!!!!

i just moved up to 16", but the legs aren't long enough...whoops

weight weenie!!!!!

i just moved up to 16", but the legs aren't long enough...whoops

Yeah, was thinking about going 16" but since we have 2, I would then have to get another 16" when Swift is 3, rather than just handing down the 14". 

Yeah, have been offered the Spez 14" its basically brand new, the kid used it 9 times in a year as it was just so heavy and the parents did not feel like lugging it around either. Would rather spend an extra 20% and make sure he gets the most bang for buck. 

Kittel goes everywhere on his bike and he is not even that keen on riding. His cousin also has a balance bike but refuses to use it and only wants to ride his. 

Hi All, 

I bought this for my son not sure on the weight though. 12" was too small 16" too big. Was the only decent one i could find. I didnt purchase from Sportmans warehouse but I see it is available there. I got mine at Solomons

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/avalanche-junior-storm-boys-14-bike-2018

post-32189-0-05047300-1522145542_thumb.jpg

Edited by peds

Yeah, was thinking about going 16" but since we have 2, I would then have to get another 16" when Swift is 3, rather than just handing down the 14". 

Yeah, have been offered the Spez 14" its basically brand new, the kid used it 9 times in a year as it was just so heavy and the parents did not feel like lugging it around either. Would rather spend an extra 20% and make sure he gets the most bang for buck. 

Kittel goes everywhere on his bike and he is not even that keen on riding. His cousin also has a balance bike but refuses to use it and only wants to ride his. 

wonder if one could gooi 14" wheels in a 16" frame