What is acceptable weight for a dual

Vetseun

I had my large 2010 X3 Anthem built at 11.6kg's with XT wheels (1680g) + Crossmark tubeless tyres (that includes bottle cage and pedals)... Still had original Raceface stuff on so might have gotten it to about 11.4 by replacing that... It did involve a full XX groupset though which would sink most of your budget by itself! I agree that sub 12kg's on a dual is not a cheap exercise if you're doing a reliable build (i.e. proper tubeless tyres + sealant)... I could have swapped the tyres for lightweight ones and gotten it to well under 11kg's, but definitely wouldn't have benefitted me in any way.

I also don't trust a lot of the weights I have seen on the hub - think there's some helium stored in the frame!

For R20k, 12.5 - 13kg is probably a good weight (probably a bit lighter on the shop floor as new bikes generally come with useless lightweight tyres so 12.5kg might be a reasonable mark)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my teocali is at 13.some change, pretty much stock with a heavy pike up front. has raceface xc cranks tho.

running a 2.3 up front and a wirebeaded 2.1 at the back.

but i couldnt care less.. as others have mentioned if you arent winning races why bother.

if you cycle for fitness, hell keep it heavy, it'll benefit you.

The true weight of a under 20k bike is more like 28.75 pounds = 13.0407806 kilograms thats a 2011 trance x3 straight out the shop , x4 closer to 30 pounds , now thats a stock 15k bike , 11.5 kgs is not entry level.Think x4 was 2011 Ds of the year for weight,parts and price so ye ...

would it also depend on what type of discipline you are riding as a XC bike should weight less than a trail bike?

Yes, all depends on discipline.

Erm - my dual is 25kg.

Eish Mayhem! You need to put that fat-bottomed girl on a diet.

I haven't tipped the scales with my any of my bikes recently... but I would venture to guess these figures

Morewood Ndiza (4X): 15 - 16kgs

Morewood Izimu (DH): 17 - 18kgs (Izimu's are actually on the lighter side for DH frames, despite their burly appearance.

Cannondale Moto 1 (AM): 13 - 14kgs

I'm now rather interested to see what each of them actually come in at!

Advertised bike weights in ads are for a Medium Frame with no pedals. You buy a Large, you are already heavier. Buy a Carbon frame instead of the Alu version, you're saving 500g , but spending Thousands more.

Put yourself on your bike and weigh the combined package, because the bike won't ride itself.

Shedding a Kg off your body is relatively easy and costs nothing.

Picked up my Alu Jet 9 and compared it the RDO version (with pretty similar components) and can't say my "arm scale" noticed any significant difference.

My wallet would have had to cough up around 8k more though.

More interesting question to ask: How much do you and your Dual Sus weigh together?

Any weight saving on a bike needs to be expressed as a percentage of the total rider and kit and bike weight.

e.g. You sell your 13kg bike for an 11kg bike you are not shaving 15% but rather closer to 1.6% (in my case I weigh 102kg with 7kg kit).

You also have to realise that weight only counts when climbing - not when on flats or descending. You also have to account for decreased reliability of lighter components - especially if you are heavier.

In other words bike weight should not be a major consideration in bike purchase unless you planning on winning races - in which case your sponsor will choose a bike for you.

Exacary! :thumbup:

Eish Mayhem! You need to put that fat-bottomed girl on a diet.

I haven't tipped the scales with my any of my bikes recently... but I would venture to guess these figures

Morewood Ndiza (4X): 15 - 16kgs

Morewood Izimu (DH): 17 - 18kgs (Izimu's are actually on the lighter side for DH frames, despite their burly appearance.

Cannondale Moto 1 (AM): 13 - 14kgs

I'm now rather interested to see what each of them actually come in at!

ROFL!

She's a 2002 GT DHI. Frame and shock alone weigh 5.5kg. Fork is a 2002 RS Boxxer, weighing in at about 5kg by itself. wheels: Alex DX32 & Mavic EX371. Minion & HR for tires... not a light bike!

Advertised bike weights in ads are for a Medium Frame with no pedals. You buy a Large, you are already heavier. Buy a Carbon frame instead of the Alu version, you're saving 500g , but spending Thousands more.

Put yourself on your bike and weigh the combined package, because the bike won't ride itself.

Shedding a Kg off your body is relatively easy and costs nothing.

Picked up my Alu Jet 9 and compared it the RDO version (with pretty similar components) and can't say my "arm scale" noticed any significant difference.

My wallet would have had to cough up around 8k more though.

More interesting question to ask: How much do you and your Dual Sus weigh together?

But if you had spent the 8K your wallet would have been lighter in your back pocket and thereby reducing the overall weight even further when on the bike :)

If it hasn't been said already: If you are worried about weight, don't ride a dual susser. Simple, really.

And make sure you're already at 6% body fat ..... ;)

Seems like I'm the only one that's actually going heavier? My Rocket Rons and 175g saddle helped nothing being upside down at Attakwas due to punctures etc. Now Geax on XT. Reliability > Weight.