Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

Hi hubbers

I am going to VG on sunday to sleep over to monday.

We wana ride both days.

Can anybody give me advise,as it's my first time going out there?

Not too worried about distance,but rather enjoy the technical bits.

Chris

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi hubbers

I am going to VG on sunday to sleep over to monday.

We wana ride both days.

Can anybody give me advise,as it's my first time going out there?

Not too worried about distance,but rather enjoy the technical bits.

Chris

Van Gaalens is awesome. You will enjoy all the trails for their different merits.

Some fast and flowing with decent ups and downs: Blue route next to the river (my personal favourite)

Some more rocky and slippery with hectic ascents/descents: Red route via the Greek Church.

Ask for a map, as it can be a little confusing for a newbie there.

Well,my wife and I are sleeping by oom Eric sunday night,so we'll ride sunday and monday.

If anyone is going,maybe we can join up. . .

I think I'll do the river route sunday afternoon,and a long scenic route monday.

;)

I'm taking some first-timers/beginners there on Monday ... but they have pretty much zero tech skills so will end up teaching more than riding.

Hi there,

I ride at Van Gaalen most Sunday mornings. I will ride this Sunday at 8.30am. You are welcome to join, but I'm not sure if you will be in the area yet. Otherwise I'd like to join your long ride (how long?) on Monday too since I will be on leave then. Let me know. My cell phone is 071 686 3932. Rather send me a SMS or whatsapp since I'm on holiday at the sea at the moment and don't carry my phone around all the time.

Cheers,

Frederic

Well,my wife and I are sleeping by oom Eric sunday night,so we'll ride sunday and monday.

If anyone is going,maybe we can join up. . .

I think I'll do the river route sunday afternoon,and a long scenic route monday.

;)

Well,

I don't know the distances that well there,but I do know it's a huge trail.

Maybe look at a 30-40km ride on monday?

I will see what the map says,I know that they say concrete road and oom piet,as well as poffadder are hectic climbs,but yeah.

I am just so excited.

I love it when fellow cyclists rave and rant about a trail in unity. That just means it's one of the best. I'm used to the likes of big red barn,rietvlei,thaba,groenkloof etc.

So this would be all new.

I will only be there sunday afternoon say maybe 13h00-14h00.

Regards

PS the only really hectic climb is poffader, because its so steep, the rest are short so give it horns to the top and fly down.

The best 40km loop at VG is to go to the concrete slabs, up and over...turn left at the bottom of a short down with markings that say daggapad....From there take Erik's revenge, daggapad, railway and then home on the river.

edit...see my post below for the exact route, if you can download as gpx and upload as a course to your device...this will be first prize and you wont get lost

enjoy

Edited by rouxtjie

If you saw a chop at Van Gaalen in hub kit and flip flops last weekend it was me. Left shoes at home. Lucky it was with the gf and we only did 40km.

whahahaha classic oom.

PS the only really hectic climb is poffader, because its so steep, the rest are short so give it horns to the top and fly down.

The best 40km loop at VG is to go to the concrete slabs, up and over...turn left at the bottom of a short down with markings that say daggapad....From there take Erik's revenge, daggapad, railway and then home on the river.

edit...see my post below for the exact route, if you can download as gpx and upload as a course to your device...this will be first prize and you wont get lost

enjoy

Can you explain the procedure of downloading as gpx?

Can you explain the procedure of downloading as gpx?

click on the little wrench on the side, click on export GPX, save to desktop, upload as a course onto garmin

BOB is you uncle

post-9825-0-82355500-1398337028_thumb.jpg

click on the little wrench on the side, click on export GPX, save to desktop, upload as a course onto garmin

BOB is you uncle

erm... FYI... you can only download the gpx file if you're a premium member on Strava ;)

Or I see you can also download from the map...top right hand corner next to "terrain map" toggle there is an export to gpx function

erm... FYI... you can only download the gpx file if you're a premium member on Strava ;)

Well duh......you are not a seriaas cyclist if you havent gone premium ekse. Thought that is a given