Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

i don't have any fancy gadgets - i use endomondo for normal routes.

where / how can i get a route map that i can follow while riding for some of the more noob friendly routes at VG.

You just need an Android smart phone like a Samsung S3,4,5 or mini, with Endomondo or Strava loaded (and others), I don't have any knowledge of iPhones...

I'm sure somebody shared some maps on this thread way back.. go through it and check that out, look for gpx files, you can load those onto your phones, no gadgets needed, otherwise when I get a moment I will find some.. I think I might have some of my own rides saved.. can't remember now need to look..

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing that's got something to do with beer ?

Church on a hill has nothing to do with beer... that's where're you're still earning your beer.. it's the Greek Church half way up one of the van Gaalens trails... once a year they have a service, but what a service... there's lamb on the spit and festivities afterwards, not that us pedalers ever get to feast on this, because we're usually long gone by the time lunch is served...

Church on a hill has nothing to do with beer... that's where're you're still earning your beer.. it's the Greek Church half way up one of the van Gaalens trails... once a year they have a service, but what a service... there's lamb on the spit and festivities afterwards, not that us pedalers ever get to feast on this, because we're usually long gone by the time lunch is served...

Hahaa ok tx. I know some ppl in Springs /benoni that used to refer to their local News Cafe as Church so thought it might refer to one of the breweries in the area.

I'll have a look around. Tx.

If you looking for newb trails, then a good place to start is just by following the river trail out and back. There are trails on both sides of the river and it crosses the river at a few places.

Back in the day, those river trails were all that existed but we used to go out there anyway. It sure beat Northern Farms (the only other trail centre) and was a lot more technical than it is now.

I just wish there was a way the guys at VG could warn us whenever they have a trail-run or mtb race on at the farm. It sucks driving all the way out there only to find the trails closed.

i confess to being too lazy to click through all 43 pages but i did use the search functionality to try find something before i asked. :mellow:

HUB search function :thumbdown: at best................

(Google THEHUBSA with search terms.......better chance on finding what you are looking for)

Here's one of my Greek church rides....

Oooooops... won't let me load a .gpx file

Oh, I wonder why that is?

I get the message "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"

Which police department is this???

Edited by RichieT

Here's one of my Greek church rides....

Oooooops... won't let me load a .gpx file

Oh, I wonder why that is?

I get the message "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"

Which police department is this???

Hey Ritchie we managed to download a whole bunch off endomondo. Looking forward to go test them out soon.

Tx a lot though.

Great, once you've done a few rides you'll get the feel of Erik's random marking!

Best way to learn VG is to get is lost at VG.

That, the nice thing about that is, your planned 3 hour ride becomes a camel man trophy adventure...

Actually your planned 3 hour ride becomes an unplanned 4 hour ride! (And a Camel Trophy Adventure)

Edited by RichieT

• 4 weeks later...

I see there's a race there on Saturday, does this mean it's closed to casual riders? Don't want to drive all the way out there for nada.