Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

I've ridden Hakahana a couple times recently, really enjoyed the mix of elevation and technical climbs / descents. Strikes me though that they are not as busy as vG ... what do some of the regulars here think about why that might be ?

Because I've only just updated the Hakahana Enduro thread with pics of the new trail features we've built. :P

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re the markings and signage, as has been mentioned before, the trails at VG are on around 40 different properties and very often signs are moved/stolen/vandalized.it's not that easy to keep track of them as such huge area is covered.

I got to learn my way around by just riding and getting lost finding my way again over and over again...

Most wouldn't want to do that as I'm sure time is so ,limited and valuable and you don't want to spend "riding time" looking the trails, but for me, it paid off as I now have quite a good idea of where what is.

I'm incredibly biased because I absolutely LOVE VG, I really do feel they're best trails we have in "Gauteng".

That been said, I've never ridden Hakahana so I can't comment on the trails there, but I do ride other places too, Heia Safari ( SO much amazing work being done here!), Groenkloof, Avianto, NF,Kings,.. Haven't been to Thaba in ages and never ridden Modders so can't comment there either but VG is by far still the best for me.

it really does have everything.

You can do from a mostly flat +/- 40km that's almost just ST to a lung busting 20km or you can mix and match and puzzle the trails together to get what you want out of your ride.

Do you think Hakahana's opening times influence people's choice of a trail to ride ? They close at 1.00 on a Saturday for instance.

Edited by Trelawney

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think Hakahana's opening times influence people's choice of a trail to ride ? They close at 1.00 on a Saturday for instance.

Absolutely, closing at 13h00 on a weekend, sucks huge!!

Trying VG out on Sunday for the first time with some mates. Hopefully won't get too lost.

Try to find a gpx file of one of the VG routes, there are a few out there, maybe even on this thread. Otherwise you can use the mountain for orientation

Try to find a gpx file of one of the VG routes, there are a few out there, maybe even on this thread. Otherwise you can use the mountain for orientation

Thanks R, don't have a GPS unit so will have to wing it.

i don't have any fancy gadgets - i use endomondo for normal routes.

where / how can i get a route map that i can follow while riding for some of the more noob friendly routes at VG.

where / how can i get a route map that i can follow while riding for some of the more noob friendly routes at VG.

You get a map when you sign in / pay at the Kaas shop. But be prepared to loose any sense of direction in all the warrens that weave by the river coming back,

Guest notmyname

Uni. The cheese shop has maps. If memory serves me right you can request sections or a complete overview map.

You get a map when you sign in / pay at the Kaas shop. But be prepared to loose any sense of direction in all the warrens that weave by the river coming back,

Uni. The cheese shop has maps. If memory serves me right you can request sections or a complete overview map.

am I off my rocker to think there's something like google maps that i can load on my phone that tells me to turn left in 100m rather than having to stop and check a map each time?

Guest notmyname

am I off my rocker to think there's something like google maps that i can load on my phone that tells me to turn left in 100m rather than having to stop and check a map each time?

No idea. You can get one of those board thingies they use for the freedom challenge.

Guest notmyname

No idea. You can get one of those board thingies they use for the freedom challenge.

They mount on the bars...

To church......ON A HILL!

I'm guessing that's got something to do with beer ?

It's one of the loops.

We stopped a couple of times to find our way on the map (and catch a breather). But it's really only the first time that you need a map. After that you have a good idea of the trails.

And there is something alluring about having to look at a map to follow the route, and maybe make a wrong turn here and there.