Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

I don't even want to start.  At the start we turned left intending to ride up the to  daggapad (on the alternative route - not the cement path), miems; railway line, oom Piet and then on to the river.  

I would have been totally lost had I not done some of the VG routes in the past. Some of my mates, visiting VG for the first time, admitted that they would not have been able to navigate the route because of the lack of clear markings.  

My experience  - I Saw signs lying on the ground or showing the wrong direction or even contradictory directions.  The river, which in the past has always been one of the highlights coming back to VG, IS BLOCKED OFF!!!!

On leaving I noted that there was an obvious, as opposed to the past, lack of cars with bicycle racks.  There VG will not be seeing me soon obviously others feel the same way.

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really sad some good riding out there love the river section never completed the trails just messed around and loved it will i be able to make it up to the greek church it used to go over te bridge y the retsuarant then turn right then go along river heading north go through the reed forests then basically up to church and back down what is the route now ?

some  good   of THE BEST riding out there  

VG is amazing! but because (as this has been covered countless times in many forums) the trails cross over more than 40 properties, it's really a mission to maintain the signage. 

I've been riding at VG for over 8 years now and I got to know my way around by just riding.The best way, if you're not up for the adventure is to ride there with someone who knows their way around. I started the Facebook group as well as the VG Facebook page for this exact reason. Go there, or on here, post that you're keen on a ride with someone who knows their way around, There's also a Haarties MTB group on FB.

The riding at VG is phenomenal! It's my MTB heaven!

(Ps I have absolutely zero affiliation with VG, I've just grown to love the place!)

VG is amazing! but because (as this has been covered countless times in many forums) the trails cross over more than 40 properties, it's really a mission to maintain the signage. I've been riding at VG for over 8 years now and I got to know my way around by just riding.The best way, if you're not up for the adventure is to ride there with someone who knows their way around. I started the Facebook group as well as the VG Facebook page for this exact reason. Go there, or on here, post that you're keen on a ride with someone who knows their way around, There's also a Haarties MTB group on FB.The riding at VG is phenomenal! It's my MTB heaven!(Ps I have absolutely zero affiliation with VG, I've just grown to love the place!)

Totally agree. Brilliant riding and I often go there just to ride on my own and clear my head....I find it super peaceful, my get away from the rat race place!!

But I do know the trails well. This is just from exploring and trial and error over the years....

I've got PDFs somewhere.. I'll try find them.

Do you have a garmin?

I can send you some links for rides I've done.

Please send me some garmin files as well. :clap:

Do you have a garmin?

If you could pm me some links to please , I could think of no better way to come to terms with my Garmin (edge 810 )

I dont have a garmin as of yet i dorecall that there used to be a guy who gave out maps at the venue on sunday mornings does anyone know if this is still the case ? Shot for all the info

Guest notmyname

I dont have a garmin as of yet i dorecall that there used to be a guy who gave out maps at the venue on sunday mornings does anyone know if this is still the case ? Shot for all the info

Jip. At the bike shop. You should ask them for pointers.

*To add to that, take L.T.G' advice. I was fortunate enough to ride a short loop with him. The man knows those trails backwards.

Edited by Small Fry

I don't even want to start.  At the start we turned left intending to ride up the to  daggapad (on the alternative route - not the cement path), miems; railway line, oom Piet and then on to the river.  

I would have been totally lost had I not done some of the VG routes in the past. Some of my mates, visiting VG for the first time, admitted that they would not have been able to navigate the route because of the lack of clear markings.  

My experience  - I Saw signs lying on the ground or showing the wrong direction or even contradictory directions.  The river, which in the past has always been one of the highlights coming back to VG, IS BLOCKED OFF!!!!

On leaving I noted that there was an obvious, as opposed to the past, lack of cars with bicycle racks.  There VG will not be seeing me soon obviously others feel the same way.

Hi,

Just check at the shop. Sometimes the River has been blocked off. When we enquired I was told there was birds with a new nest on the trail. I think it was eagles or something and they couldn't risk disturbing them.

VG signage has always been rather lacking, best is just to ask at the shop before riding if there is anything going on like the recent spate of devil thorns on the strava section called "The Big U". Crazy section picked up 69 on my front tire only. I was one of the first before they could put a warning out.

Hi,

Just check at the shop. Sometimes the River has been blocked off. When we enquired I was told there was birds with a new nest on the trail. I think it was eagles or something and they couldn't risk disturbing them.

VG signage has always been rather lacking, best is just to ask at the shop before riding if there is anything going on like the recent spate of devil thorns on the strava section called "The Big U". Crazy section picked up 69 on my front tire only. I was one of the first before they could put a warning out.

the only part of the river thats not open is the bit from the metal bridge to the floating bridge. rest is open

Do you have a garmin?

I would love some gpx files if they available  :drool:

Or if someone has one of those maps they used to give out at the entrance and could scan it in or post it up it would be greatly appreciated would be ten times better to rock up on sunday and have a map

Are you still having to pay to ride there? If so, then there should be an obligation to maintain the signage and trails surely?

And there hasn't been big mtb events there this year, what's up? I might add that bridges there are a tad dodge engineering-wise imho.

Will post my maps later

Are you still having to pay to ride there? If so, then there should be an obligation to maintain the signage and trails surely?

And there hasn't been big mtb events there this year, what's up? I might add that bridges there are a tad dodge engineering-wise imho.

Will post my maps later

Besides SA MTB Champs? 

As Far as i Know You have to pay and i feel exactly the same if i pay i want clear signage and a nice route not neccesarily easy or too tech just well maintained and clearly marked i must be Honest im considering going to moddies this weekend insead any thoughts