Single speed projects

divernick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Notso big ben - thanks I really enj putting this bike together looks like I'm going to ride my SS MTB more than the SS road bikes I have build.

@Blitzer - to be honest I don't see the purpose of going rigid fork as this is a MTB bike (don't mean to offend the guys with rigid forks :) )

I took the bike through its paces on Fri Nights CM ride. Bike I very smooth great ratio to start off with (32T-18T) the only problem is that its a little hard to wheelie the bugger :)

What I did pic up is that I think I didn't tighten the headset tight enough so I had a little bit of a shudder under braking. I tightened the head set yesterday seems to be ok but I haven't really ridden it long enough to ensure the shudder is gone.

Cant wait to try it down the spruit I might even use this bike to commute to work and back good training for when I have a gears :)

Sho Divernick where did you manage to pic al those old frames up ? Are they complete with BB and cranks ?

I'm done building SS road bikes .I built 2 and I never ride them its sometimes gets pretty expensive building them up and works out cheaper buying them build up already.

I'm selling my Blue Fuji track bike I build up if anyone is keen check under the classified section.

@Blitzer - to be honest I don't see the purpose of going rigid fork as this is a MTB bike (don't mean to offend the guys with rigid forks :) )

No maintenance, More challengin ie: more fun, Improves technical Line choices, Weight weenie syndrome ;)

And Most of all.... ULTIMATE SWAG FACTOR!!!! :P

Sho Divernick where did you manage to pic al those old frames up ? Are they complete with BB and cranks ?

I'm done building SS road bikes .I built 2 and I never ride them its sometimes gets pretty expensive building them up and works out cheaper buying them build up already.

I'm selling my Blue Fuji track bike I build up if anyone is keen check under the classified section.

I received them as donations as part of my Build-a-Bike initiative. Not one bike is complete or functional. Yet. I have a few old-school BB's and cranks that will work. Headsets too. I am busy stripping the frames of all parts and will be building up as many functional bikes as possible.

I have about 5 or 6 Hansom frames, some with original forks, some without. I have 2 or 3 Le Jeunes, a 61cm Peugeot Phantom with a broken fork, an old DHC, an old Invader (remember those?) 2 x Treks without derailleur hangers, and a few more random frames and forks.

My Build-a-Bike initiative is all about getting reliable bikes to commuters and this normally means MTB's.

So.......... if anyone is interested in buying a steel frame that will be good for a SS project,let me know. All funds raised will be ploughed straight into getting more MTB's built up to be given away.

post-19617-0-19748400-1375085917_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished my first SS build over the weekend.

26" carbon rigid fork

nice fat 2.3 bontrager front tire

32-15 gearing (its really flat where I've been riding her, can cruise comfortably aat around 21/22 km/h)

and bits and bobs I got here and there

First ride took some getting used to with the rigid, and thumb that kept wanting to tap a non existent shifter lol. all in all am really enjoying it.

post-13613-0-68165400-1376495848_thumb.jpg

ok so i finally got the ss project off the ground, took ages to strip the frame of all the paint, eventually i used a sand blaster to achieve the clean frame.

was very tempted to just put some clear coat on and build up as a polished frame but decided i had already spent money on the paint so am going to use it. so far the frame has its primer and base. am going to add some pinstripes, accent paint touches etc and then clear.

will post more pics as i go along.

post-19041-0-83126500-1376554584_thumb.jpg

post-19041-0-53408300-1376554615_thumb.jpg

ok so i finally got the ss project off the ground, took ages to strip the frame of all the paint, eventually i used a sand blaster to achieve the clean frame.

was very tempted to just put some clear coat on and build up as a polished frame but decided i had already spent money on the paint so am going to use it. so far the frame has its primer and base. am going to add some pinstripes, accent paint touches etc and then clear.

nice colour!

Use Plascon RemoveAll next time, paint on, leave overnight then strip... is simple easy and effortless.

Bling colour for sure...