Single speed projects

divernick

Here is a pic of the BB before I wrapped it in carbon...

Neatly done... will be interesting to have your feedback on the handling and flexing in the bamboo

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been working on this project for a while now and today I finally finished. I built the frame from scratch, even cut the bamboo down myself. So happy to be done...

WOW DUDE!!! Well done!!

Been working on this project for a while now and today I finally finished. I built the frame from scratch, even cut the bamboo down myself. So happy to be done...

Very nice, awesome to see peeps taking on different projects HUGE thumbs up!

That really is awesome!!! Nice one

Thanks guys

I have been for a ride today, it seems stiffer than my old steel frame singlespeed, still a bit of flex but not too bad. I think the carbon is better than hemp twine, I do know there are hemp fibers around but not the easiest to get hold of..

If you have spare time it is a really cool project to undertake. The hard part is drying the bamboo but if you can get hold of some online then it would be a breeze. I just treated my own to save on costs..

Cheers

Thanks guys

I have been for a ride today, it seems stiffer than my old steel frame singlespeed, still a bit of flex but not too bad. I think the carbon is better than hemp twine, I do know there are hemp fibers around but not the easiest to get hold of..

If you have spare time it is a really cool project to undertake. The hard part is drying the bamboo but if you can get hold of some online then it would be a breeze. I just treated my own to save on costs..

Cheers

Does Panda Bamboo supply bamboo poles to do this? Secondly what frame design did you go with(geometry wise?

)

Hey guys, I used carbon fiber and epoxy resin to do the joints. The bottom bracket shell, the rear dropouts and the head tube bearing housing are steel. I mitred all the bamboo tubes to fit together and then wrapped all the joints in the carbon fibre..
Here is a pic of the BB before I wrapped it in carbon...
Thanks guys

Cheers

Make a fred!!!

That Mack Hine deserves her own. With build details, i miss BogusOne anyone know he's where abouts?

I'll start a thread with the details of the build soon, hopefully that answers most questions.. As for the poles, I'm not sure.. fun to cut and treat your own as you know they have been done properly..

Picked up a really old Bridgestone MB2 for R 450 today. Idea is tyo give it it the gardener, but jislaaik, thats a really nice frame, with lugs and all.

Is it worth turning this baby into a SS. Or is it really only good enough for the gardener??

All the best.

Leon

Picked up a really old Bridgestone MB2 for R 450 today. Idea is tyo give it it the gardener, but jislaaik, thats a really nice frame, with lugs and all.

Is it worth turning this baby into a SS. Or is it really only good enough for the gardener??

All the best.

Leon

Turn it into a SS, if you don't like it, you can still give it to the Gardner and what you learn on the build will be good knowledge for future builds....

Top notch,looks awesome.. i kept quite till it was finished and the black carbon ,green tyres with the bamboo finishes off perfectly.Would look stealth with black rims green seat :thumbup: and some neutron flat black pedals.Hows the feedback or cushion from the road through the bamboo >? :thumbup:

Edited by 2Nutz

All the best.

Leon

That is a damn nice MTB, have an MB3 and MB1 myself.

Would make an awesome SS, but would also be great if with original components (keep those if you make it SS).

If it goes to the gardener he is assured of a really good MTB

After I nearly fell my **** off (the type you need a gynaecologist to re-attach) at Avianto, I took a sebatical from singlespeeding - still not sure why, it wasnt the bikes fault.

Spent a couple of weeks on the soft and squishy bike with gears, but i have returned to the singlemindedness. - and I must say, it's Freakin awesome man!!

APUI (another piece of useless information)

After I nearly fell my **** off (the type you need a gynaecologist to re-attach) at Avianto, I took a sebatical from singlespeeding - still not sure why, it wasnt the bikes fault.

Spent a couple of weeks on the soft and squishy bike with gears, but i have returned to the singlemindedness. - and I must say, it's Freakin awesome man!!

APUI (another piece of useless information)

Pics or it didnt happen

Very nice, awesome to see peeps taking on different projects HUGE thumbs up!

+1!

I'm really enjoying the rise of "alternative" biking. SSing used to be the technology of choice for us part time luddites but now the gloves are really off - making your own bike rocks!

Awesome awesome.

I'll start a thread with the details of the build soon, hopefully that answers most questions.. As for the poles, I'm not sure.. fun to cut and treat your own as you know they have been done properly..

where was your bamboo growing, locally? I'm guessing this has a huge influence on the ultimate product. Edited by Shebeen