Formula 1...

'Dale

I think Vettel still sees his future in the sport so i think he would go wherever he gets an opportunity be it Aston Martin. 

He just needs a kick in the bottom to wake up and get motivated. To be fair he seems to have woken up a bit...had a good race yesterday considering and last week was on a bit of a roll before being taken out ..

Going to be interesting though, about who gets the boot - Does dad turn businessman and boot his son, retain sponsors and keep Perez, or keep Lance and risk losing a ton of cash by dropping Perez?

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not, it has a Merc engine in it........

@Myles, in response to your question, yes I had to ask the question.

Sias answered it perfectly though so no worries in answering it :thumbup:

Going to be interesting though, about who gets the boot - Does dad turn businessman and boot his son, retain sponsors and keep Perez, or keep Lance and risk losing a ton of cash by dropping Perez?

Losing a bit of cash is least of his worries. Upsetting the son will probably upset his wife. Makes xmas awkward......

Losing a bit of cash is least of his worries. Upsetting the son will probably upset his wife. Makes xmas awkward......

LOL - I once got told by a mate of mines Father that when starting to date and you want to take a girl out, you need to impress her Mother so much, that if you asked her Mother on a date, she would consider going.  Because if her Mother is happy with you, then her Father will still be able to get lucky.  But if the Mother doesn't like you, the Father isn't getting any, and then he's really going to hate you....

Thats where it gets interesting assuming Vettel is given the drive and often conjecture is on the money. 

Assuming Vettel is offered the drive, it raises the brand awareness and Stroll is a 25% shareholder and chairman. I think his business thinking would relegate his son for a season or loan him to another team and replace the canadian there.  

Stroll had a strong drive yesterday and is holding his own recently i think. Perez has the money though

I don't see it being a viable move for Vettel.

Spyker / Force India / Racing Point have never designed a quick car, so unless Stroll can get Newey to join the Aston Martin program I don't see them having a race winner in 2022

The fact that they have copied a car for this year means they might not have the skills to develop the car further. Red Bull and Ferrari have the budget to improve their current cars into the 2021 season, and McLaren and Renault might be able to match the current Pink Merc next year. That will leave Vettel scratching around for minor point places.

Spyker / Force India / Racing Point have never designed a quick car, so unless Stroll can get Newey to join the Aston Martin program I don't see them having a race winner in 2022

The fact that they have copied a car for this year means they might not have the skills to develop the car further. Red Bull and Ferrari have the budget to improve their current cars into the 2021 season, and McLaren and Renault might be able to match the current Pink Merc next year. That will leave Vettel scratching around for minor point places.

I disagree. I think it's an excellent move by them, to get themselves up to speed on a design / aero strategy that actually works properly with the existing regs, and then work from there. They've essentially given themselves Merc's aero development budget for 2019 for the cost of a few pictures, the ACTUAL bits and pieces they were provided with (handily explaining the "insider knowledge" that Renault are insisting they shoudn't have been able to get, even when they had the very bits they're protesting in their hands for a full year) which they've no doubt been doing some heavily funded reverse engineering on in order to understand the how and why for themselves, and being a customer. It's not illegal. It's therefore allowed within the rules as they stand.

Going forwards into next year I think they have a very strong platform from which to build, and a desire to get it right, which will stand them in good stead. They've also really never had the budget OR the results to get one of the great designers, or a designer with the equivalent experience and knowledge of the greats. Now, they have results. It's not as if they're stagnating, and the car isn't EXACTLY the same as a 2019 Merc. They've still put their stamp on it. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

edited...

Sorry to hear about your experience Dale.

Thank you, @sias

My point made is that racism in professional sport is real and can be an inhibitor, if not significant disruptor to performance. The significant role that racism play in sport is access to resources and opportunities.

You walked into the question by answering it with some cynicism which sharpened my sword for rigorous debate around the relevance of Hamster's arc of performance and who he is.

Goedgaan

I think it was pretty rad seeing Lando Norris staying with the mechanics and help strip down the car while you see Danny Ric and Max Verstapen sharing a private Jet ride home. While Norris is nowhere near the earth, he is a lot closer than the rest. 

Think there is going to be a major shift in F1 drivers in next 3/4 years, speed and money is not going to keep you there. You need will need to bring more to the brand as there will be countless drivers bringing speed and money to the table. (See Perez and Stroll) 

I think it was pretty rad seeing Lando Norris staying with the mechanics and help strip down the car while you see Danny Ric and Max Verstapen sharing a private Jet ride home. While Norris is nowhere near the earth, he is a lot closer than the rest.

Think there is going to be a major shift in F1 drivers in next 3/4 years, speed and money is not going to keep you there. You need will need to bring more to the brand as there will be countless drivers bringing speed and money to the table. (See Perez and Stroll)

Norris is now my favourite driver on the track. Second is le Clerc, third Ricciardo.

Norris is just so normal. Self effacing, talented and a bloody good sport. His (and le Clerc's) streaming and vlogs have been great during lockdown. He is the better face for British motorsport, imo.

Pretty cool race with overtaking happening which is a vast improvement on the old days in Hungary where it was just one long procession.

44 is a talented driver and in the best car...i am hoping Bottas offers some resistance in the coming races or else its number 7 and i would like to see him have to work a bit harder for it ...the great shumie worked much harder for his 7 i reckon.

Shumie was the best of his era in my opinion but he was also in the best car and for nearly all of his championships he had an accommodating teammate. Ross Brawn was also in a class of his own.

The complete package, great car, great driver and great strategist. Together they invented and perfected the undercut.

Strangely I was never a Schumacher fan during those years. But now looking back, I see what others saw.

Shumie was the best of his era in my opinion but he was also in the best car and for nearly all of his championships he had an accommodating teammate. Ross Brawn was also in a class of his own.

The complete package, great car, great driver and great strategist. Together they invented and perfected the undercut.

Strangely I was never a Schumacher fan during those years. But now looking back, I see what others saw.

Lets not forget that shumies initial years at ferrari were development years, working with the team and building the team. Success was not easily achieved at Ferrari... But for broken legs he could well have won 8... 

Yes, his team mates were complaint but he had the beating of them in general...bottas does help hamilton too as he has done in the past. 

Schumies biggest error , was coming back. he should of stayed as ambassador to the sport at Ferrari or something. 

Norris is now my favourite driver on the track. Second is le Clerc, third Ricciardo.

Norris is just so normal. Self effacing, talented and a bloody good sport. His (and le Clerc's) streaming and vlogs have been great during lockdown. He is the better face for British motorsport, imo.

With Mclaren 5 miles from my house i have to support em too. 

When i worked in F1 Mercedes was one of my direct clients and i toured all their facilities out in Biggin Hill. Unfortunately never got the chance to go to Mclaren at the time but going to see if i can wangle something. Whenever i cycle past there i have to take a pic...its how it is 

Edited by IceCreamMan

The fact that they have copied a car for this year means they might not have the skills to develop the car further. Red Bull and Ferrari have the budget to improve their current cars into the 2021 season

Budget cap may mean Pink Mercedes has a bigger budget than Mercedes and Ferrari (or maybe not Ferrari given their current performance)

Aston Martin will not put their name behind a losing team. They did that with DTM and quickly withdrew when their cars were uncompetitive.

I think AM is a brilliant move for Vettel and I think this is just the start for good things for the team.

It's just sad that Perez will have to be sacrificed (although there is talk of a move to Haas). Stroll won't let his son go and Lance seems to have the edge of late over Perez.