Formula 1...

'Dale

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

I'd hate to admit it, but I was also waiting with baited breath for the 44 car to just lose the back-end in those final laps and slide softly into the wall, snapping only the driveshaft... Max finishing 1st and the Drivers championship settled then and there... 

But alas, we go to the final race and it will all come down to which one finishes ahead of the other. 

Obviously some other scenarios also in play:

• Both DNF = Max Wins. (Most wins in season)
  • LH-P9, MV P10+Fastest Lap = Max Wins. (Most wins in season)

My gut says we are going to see high-drama at that final race, won't be a simple Qualy and run to the line for either one of these two.

This is my first ever F1 championship that I’m rooting for LH44.

Maybe it’s coz I’ve never taken a liking to the way that Max Vercrashen races. There’s no talent in obstructing your competitors at all costs!

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

The skill level of these two top guns, incredulous.

As much as I think Max has shown some great skill, I can’t help but think of how many points he should not have been allowed to keep.

Anyhow, the finale to this season is what will separate these two.... makes for an exciting finish to the F1 calendar eventually 

2 minutes ago, RoddieJ said:

This is my first ever F1 championship that I’m rooting for LH44.

Maybe it’s coz I’ve never taken a liking to the way that Max Vercrashen races. There’s no talent in obstructing your competitors at all costs!

I'm by no means a die-hard Max fan. He has always been very reckless in his overtakes, he actually calmed down the last two years in comparison with previously. But it is clear that the Merc has the upper-hand with their car since Brazil, so Max is trying everything in the book to try and win this championship.

I am also by no means a LH44 hater. But somewhere along the lines, maybe since the Rosberg battle, I have just not appreciated the way he handles himself.

What can't be argued is that this rivalry has brought F1 back to life. And typically one is forced to pick between one of the two protagonists. Max just got less unlikeable qualities for me. But both are exceptional drivers.

Fingers crossed that we get relatively equal cars next year and maybe I can cheer on George Russel or Norris for the Championship battle....

I cannot believe Christian Horner arguing that Max got the short end of the stick with a 5sec penalty!

He insists that both drivers left the track at Turn 1-2 on Lap 27.... So, from where I was seated it looked very similar to the Brazil incident, however, in this case at least one of the cars tried to make the turn and the other not! Surely the car that brakes late and attempted to make turn, from the outside line, cannot be penalized.... 🤔

Im open to thoughts, but that’s my viewpoint for now

4 minutes ago, RoddieJ said:

I cannot believe Christian Horner arguing that Max got the short end of the stick with a 5sec penalty!

He insists that both drivers left the track at Turn 1-2 on Lap 27.... So, from where I was seated it looked very similar to the Brazil incident, however, in this case at least one of the cars tried to make the turn and the other not! Surely the car that brakes late and attempted to make turn, from the outside line, cannot be penalized.... 🤔

Im open to thoughts, but that’s my viewpoint for now

Max was sailing very close to the wind yesterday I thought. He had a bit of luck and did not capitalise on it. 

44 was very lucky too in that incident…wholly his fault I thought as max had slowed to let him by. 44 had a better day overall and max probably deserved the penalty.

these 2 should have a go in a ring…I would pay money to watch that 

2 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

I'm by no means a die-hard Max fan. He has always been very reckless in his overtakes, he actually calmed down the last two years in comparison with previously. But it is clear that the Merc has the upper-hand with their car since Brazil, so Max is trying everything in the book to try and win this championship.

I am also by no means a LH44 hater. But somewhere along the lines, maybe since the Rosberg battle, I have just not appreciated the way he handles himself.

What can't be argued is that this rivalry has brought F1 back to life. And typically one is forced to pick between one of the two protagonists. Max just got less unlikeable qualities for me. But both are exceptional drivers.

Fingers crossed that we get relatively equal cars next year and maybe I can cheer on George Russel or Norris for the Championship battle....

Maybe my disdain for MadMax is compounded by my dislike for Mr SpiceGirl, JosTheBos and Helmet! And now they’ve added Toto to their band...

On the drivers, I admire LH44’s will to actually race rather than obstruct his opponent. What about MV33 trying to give the position back, while anticipating the opportunity to overtake immediately... Hardly sportsmanlike.

As I said to my BIL after Mexico... I still believe that brains will outfox brawn! Roll on...

3 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Max was sailing very close to the wind yesterday I thought. He had a bit of luck and did not capitalise on it. 

44 was very lucky too in that incident…wholly his fault I thought as max had slowed to let him by. 44 had a better day overall and max probably deserved the penalty.

I think 33 used the track to cause the incident! The aerial view clearly shows him move from the racing line to the left while 44 was approaching. Then he drifted to the right by which time 44 was very close. Then 44 realized, too late (in hindsight), that he couldn’t pass on the right so switched left while too close to the slower 33.

So my question is: Why did 33 get back on the gas as the crash happened? Was he anticipating a slipstream? Was he getting away with the loot? What was he actually doing?

11 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

The penalty Max received was for overtaking after not making Turn 2 after he left the track, while attempting to prevent 44 from turning in.

Funny thing is, RB claimed that LH44 nearly killed by doing similar at Silverstone, although MV33 was not giving up the position in that incident whereas LH44 let Max brake late enough to take himself off the track and not make Turn 2 - shrewd

10 hours ago, RoddieJ said:

Maybe my disdain for MadMax is compounded by my dislike for Mr SpiceGirl, JosTheBos and Helmet! And now they’ve added Toto to their band...

On the drivers, I admire LH44’s will to actually race rather than obstruct his opponent. What about MV33 trying to give the position back, while anticipating the opportunity to overtake immediately... Hardly sportsmanlike.

As I said to my BIL after Mexico... I still believe that brains will outfox brawn! Roll on...

Hardly sportsman like of Hamilton to say Vettel blocked him rather than driving into the wall at Canada a few years ago 

Hardly sportsman like of Michael to clearly drive into Damon when he was out raced 

The best drivers use their cars the best on the edge of the rules , see Alonso at Hungary 

If all bad luck didn't happen to the top Two , tyre blow outs , shunted into the wall , ham sliding off at Imola ect. 

then Max could've wrapped this up at Brazil 

56 minutes ago, RoddieJ said:

I think 33 used the track to cause the incident! The aerial view clearly shows him move from the racing line to the left while 44 was approaching. Then he drifted to the right by which time 44 was very close. Then 44 realized, too late (in hindsight), that he couldn’t pass on the right so switched left while too close to the slower 33.

So my question is: Why did 33 get back on the gas as the crash happened? Was he anticipating a slipstream? Was he getting away with the loot? What was he actually doing?

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-verstappen-handed-further-10-second-penalty-for-lap-37-collision.7GGfMvAnRIGPtMQphh7zCd.html

The stewards saw fit to hand Verstappen a further 10-second penalty and two penalty points (taking him to a total of seven over the 12-month period) with their report reading: "At Turn 21 the driver of car 33 [Verstappen] was given the instruction to give back a position to car 44 [Hamilton] and was told by the team to do so 'strategically'. Car 33 slowed significantly at Turn 26.

"However, it was obvious that neither driver wanted to take the lead prior to DRS detection line 3. The driver of Car 33 stated that he was wondering why Car 44 had not overtaken and the driver of Car 44 stated that, not having been aware at that stage that Car 33 was giving the position back, was unaware of the reason Car 33 was slowing.
"In deciding to penalise the driver of Car 33, the key point for the Stewards was that the driver of car 33 then braked suddenly (69 bar) and significantly, resulting in 2.4g deceleration.

"Whilst accepting that the driver of Car 44 could have overtaken Car 33 when that car first slowed, we understand why he (and the driver of Car 33) did not wish to be the first to cross the DRS [line]. However, the sudden braking by the driver of Car 33 was determined by the Stewards to be erratic and hence the predominant cause of the collision and hence the standard penalty of 10 seconds for this type of incident, is imposed."

Verstappen was therefore found to have breached Article 2, Chapter IV Appendix L of the FIA International Sporting Code, but keeps his second-place finish and enters the season finale level on points with Hamilton.

20 minutes ago, flymango said:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-verstappen-handed-further-10-second-penalty-for-lap-37-collision.7GGfMvAnRIGPtMQphh7zCd.html

The stewards saw fit to hand Verstappen a further 10-second penalty and two penalty points (taking him to a total of seven over the 12-month period) with their report reading: "At Turn 21 the driver of car 33 [Verstappen] was given the instruction to give back a position to car 44 [Hamilton] and was told by the team to do so 'strategically'. Car 33 slowed significantly at Turn 26.

"However, it was obvious that neither driver wanted to take the lead prior to DRS detection line 3. The driver of Car 33 stated that he was wondering why Car 44 had not overtaken and the driver of Car 44 stated that, not having been aware at that stage that Car 33 was giving the position back, was unaware of the reason Car 33 was slowing.
"In deciding to penalise the driver of Car 33, the key point for the Stewards was that the driver of car 33 then braked suddenly (69 bar) and significantly, resulting in 2.4g deceleration.

"Whilst accepting that the driver of Car 44 could have overtaken Car 33 when that car first slowed, we understand why he (and the driver of Car 33) did not wish to be the first to cross the DRS [line]. However, the sudden braking by the driver of Car 33 was determined by the Stewards to be erratic and hence the predominant cause of the collision and hence the standard penalty of 10 seconds for this type of incident, is imposed."

Verstappen was therefore found to have breached Article 2, Chapter IV Appendix L of the FIA International Sporting Code, but keeps his second-place finish and enters the season finale level on points with Hamilton.

Okay 👍🏽

So Max had to let Lewis pass as Max didn’t make Turn 2 in the earlier incident.

There's much to say about yesterday, which really all amounts to bugger-all. This year's F1 World Championship is a one race winner takes all championship. Reset everything and go out and race. Winner takes the trophy and the title.

But if 44 thinks this year was tough . . . next year he is in for some proper tantrums. Russel is no Bottas. He's going to be racing his team mate as well as Verstappen.

But the moment of the race for me yesterday was seeing Toto absolutely loose his sheet and throw his headphones on the counter. I had to smile at that. Clearly his calm demeanour has been exposed as a bluff.

10 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

There's much to say about yesterday, which really all amounts to bugger-all. This year's F1 World Championship is a one race winner takes all championship. Reset everything and go out and race. Winner takes the trophy and the title.

But if 44 thinks this year was tough . . . next year he is in for some proper tantrums. Russel is no Bottas. He's going to be racing his team mate as well as Verstappen.

But the moment of the race for me yesterday was seeing Toto absolutely loose his sheet and throw his headphones on the counter. I had to smile at that. Clearly his calm demeanour has been exposed as a bluff.

Don't really see it as A bluff , he is just better than most others in the pitlane at keeping calm high emotion situations

10 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I agree that George will be more aggressive than Valtterri, but I don't think he'll cause too much trouble knowing that Lewis will be leaving F1 in the next couple of years.

15 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Don't really see it as A bluff , he is just better than most others in the pitlane at keeping calm high emotion situations

I agree he has ice flowing in his veins. He probably got lessons from Kimi. But what I saw on Sunday was a duck furiously treading water. Calm on the surface, much less so below.