Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

Hell yeah, if you ride once a week @R50 per temporary permit that makes 5 rides. The half year devided by R250= R41.666666. No brainer. :clap:  :clap: :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all shops yet so carefull you don't arrive at your LBS and are told haaibo. Wait till saturday.

Not all shops yet so carefull you don't arrive at your LBS and are told haaibo. Wait till saturday.

Do we use the same 2015 annual permit registration form to get a half year permit? Or is there an updated form indicating the price for a half year permit?

Guess i was at the right LBS on Friday. I just filled in another form. 1 min and I was done. :w00t:

Thanks Dirtman

A fast hard line (A) with a slower easier line (B) I understand, but a rock garden with a smooth bypass!?? :eek:

Are the MTBers getting soft or what? :devil:

Goodness me. There is hardly anything technical on the whole of the Bottelary Hills trails and they go make that little section easier. It boggles my mind....  :thumbdown:

@Dirtman... Thanks for all the effort maintaining the trails. Would love to see some more technical stuff introduced, if possible, and not all 100% perfectly manicured trails. There needs to be something that makes one have to think, a little bit.  :ph34r:

Do we use the same 2015 annual permit registration form to get a half year permit? Or is there an updated form indicating the price for a half year permit?

There will be an updated form with the new pricing.

There will be an updated form with the new pricing.

Sure thing. Was wondering if I could use the form currently available on the website. I will use/wait for the updated form then

More maintenance was done this week after the rains - only sections that remain are the exit of Ribbok and then  Rooikat, Geelslang and Mongoose.  It is still too dry to work on the  sections on the green route- hopefully they can be done after the rain forecasted for mid next week.   

The team also did some work on the rock garden on Lizard - see photo (click on photo to see the bypass on the right) .  Riders now have the option to ride the rock garden or ride an easier option next to it.   

So now we are dumbing down Bot hills as well. What a shame, this was never a difficult section in any event.

Sorry I see _C50_ has the same feelings.

Anyway kudos to the trailbuilders; but please lets get some mtb trails in bot hills not just freeways.

Remember the over and around the rock sections near Zewenwaght that were used for XCO? That was Entry level stuff that we need more of.

Edited by Dick

So now we are dumbing down Bot hills as well. What a shame, this was never a difficult section in any event.

Sorry I see _C50_ has the same feelings.

Anyway kudos to the trailbuilders; but please lets get some mtb trails in bot hills not just freeways.

Remember the over and around the rock sections near Zewenwaght that were used for XCO? That was Entry level stuff that we need more of.

So, it seems to me that the comments about the dumbing down of Bot Hills are primarily sparked by the one rocky section on Lizard where a by-pass has now been created. However, as dirtman pointed out in his post, the rocky section is still available to be ridden - so no dumbing down as far as I can see. If some us would prefer to take the easier alternative, why not?

Rode the updated Fish Eagle on Sunday and what a pleasure it was! Flowing with a good surface - really enjoyable. Big up to dirtman, hellwarp and the trail gnomes. To my mind still contains quite enough challenges, but if anyone would want more, just go faster (without use the rear brake!).

In my opinion Bot Hills has a really interesting mix of trail conditions which present challenges to both myself (a middle aged weekend warrior going at a sedate pace) and a speed freak looking for an adrenalin rush.

By the way, I think the extended green loop for one does offer opportunities to test one's technical prowess. If that is still too tame, I suppose it will have to be the black route at Conties, because even the Cobra (Hoogekraal) and the Bloemendaaler might then not be up to scratch.

By the way, I think the extended green loop for one does offer opportunities to test one's technical prowess. If that is still too tame, I suppose it will have to be the black route at Conties, because even the Cobra (Hoogekraal) and the Bloemendaaler might then not be up to scratch.

¿Eh ? No comprendo!

How can these four trails be mentioned in the same sentence with regards to similar technical skills? I have ridden them all, many times, and none of them compare to each other.

We've re-routed part of the trail on the Green/Red loops at the top of "Kaapzicht Killer". Please stay off the origional route as per the Landowners request. The signage has been adjusted so pay attention to the route markings. A short section of singletrack has been added to link back up with the start of "Long Green". The pink line is the new route while the origional route is scribbled over in white. (see image)

post-19597-0-10273200-1435414036_thumb.jpg

Rooikat singletrack has undergone maintenance so be aware of bits and pieces of the trail that may be shifty until compacted.

Rode most of the trail today, including Rooikat. Not many loose spots; will compact fast after a few wheels over it.

Great ride!

Thanks all! :thumbup:

Edited by mountain_lion

Did yellow & short purple on Sunday.

Animals (porcupine?) have been digging up the track on the purple switch backs for a while.

Unfortunately they have now damaged the trail to the extent that it will require maintenance soon.

I also note that the chicken mesh on several of the bridges on yellow are not holding up.

I assume the trail builders are aware of this (the bridge over the top dam inlet has some poles on the mesh as a temp fix to hold it down) but take care on the bridges in the mean time.