• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Working on Fire. They operate out of Cape Town during fire season. They move up North as well as seasons change.

Nickname for the Huey is a Bell Cripple 2.

'Twas one of the best days of my life

post-1575-0-87338400-1401797060_thumb.jpeg

Damn all this time I thought you had hair....

Everytime I hear a Huey fly over, it immediately transports me into VietNam movies - start listening for the gunfire and looking for the napalm...

.....every time I see a Huey fly over I hear Metallica music! :thumbup:

I hear Rollings Stone's Painted Black

I hear the Animals - We've Gotta Get out of This Place

Who are they owned and run by?

Not much of a Huey fan but they are great choppers.

Love the sound of the Super Puma when they do a sharp turn and you sitting in the doors.......

AFAIK the one belonged to Ranch Timbers, but i may be wrong

Working on Fire. They operate out of Cape Town during fire season. They move up North as well as seasons change.

They're owned by the Working On Fire initiative, In the WC fire season they are based in the SWD somewhere, and they move up here at the beginning of our fire season. They are based at Rance Timbers in Stutt, and from here serve most of the Eastern Cape. Our Fire Protection Association is particuarily active and is big, so we are able to fund the choppers presence, they cost R9k a day, just to stand at the strip, and R20k per hour to operate. A pricy exercise, but because of the size of our FPA, WOF partially funds them.

There's no better sound when you are battling to control a fire, except if you are the one paying for their presence :eek:

They're owned by the Working On Fire initiative, In the WC fire season they are based in the SWD somewhere, and they move up here at the beginning of our fire season. They are based at Rance Timbers in Stutt, and from here serve most of the Eastern Cape. Our Fire Protection Association is particuarily active and is big, so we are able to fund the choppers presence, they cost R9k a day, just to stand at the strip, and R20k per hour to operate. A pricy exercise, but because of the size of our FPA, WOF partially funds them.

There's no better sound when you are battling to control a fire, except if you are the one paying for their presence :eek:

Remeber the Mi 8 MTV-1outside Graskop. Louis Venter was scooping water while fighting a fire in the Sabi region when he realised something was wrong with the Mi8 helicoper.

A co-pilot and technician were with him in the helicopter.

Remeber the Mi 8 MTV-1outside Graskop. Louis Venter was scooping water while fighting a fire in the Sabi region when he realised something was wrong with the Mi8 helicoper.

A co-pilot and technician were with him in the helicopter.

What happened?

A buddy of mine was killed 2 yrs ago while fighting fires in a little Bell. We don't know what happened, but surmise that the bucket hooked on rocks, and he overcompensated, and the rotors hit the chopper.

What happened?

A buddy of mine was killed 2 yrs ago while fighting fires in a little Bell. We don't know what happened, but surmise that the bucket hooked on rocks, and he overcompensated, and the rotors hit the chopper.

That’s sad man

Some extract from the report: Sabie - The crew of a Russian MI-8 helicopter escaped with their lives after crashing into a dam near Sabie on Sunday afternoon.

The helicopter was part of a team of aircraft fighting a fire in the forests near Spitskop, about 15km outside Sabie. They had been contracted by Working on Fire (WOF).

"We had just filled the Bambi bucket with water from the dam when the helicopter suddenly lost power," said the pilot, Louis Venter from Nelspruit.

They released the bucket in order to stabilise the helicopter, which belongs to the Russian company UT Air.

Lost altitude

However, the helicopter lost altitude, hit the water and turned onto its right side. It immediately started sinking.

Venter and his crew, co-pilot Johan Pretorius and onboard technician Vielies Vlieland, clambered out the window on the pilot's side.

"It's pretty difficult to tread water wearing boots," said Venter. They swam towards the shore, where onlookers helped them from the water.

The dam is situated about 10km outside Nelspruit along the road to White River.

As the helicopter hit the water, the eight-blade main rotor was broken into pieces, which were flung in all directions, said Elsa Lategan, who witnessed the accident.

Lizette Heine from WOF said it seemed as if the rear rotor of the MI-8 had broken. "We are just incredibly thankful that the crew is safe," she added.

10342945_843855015635511_3492073394486288390_n.jpg

All the elements except hydrogen and helium were formed by supernova (H forming a few hundred thousand years after the big bang and He following shortly as H bonded as stars formed). However, the energy to compose our current structure is provided by our sun (e.g. captured by plants in the form of carbs during photosynthesis). We are made of star poo and fed by sunlight.