• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Skip, give me 5, I just need to change my unda-rods quick !

http://i.imgur.com/hXgg7I6.gif

you guys in the sailing world, who is at fault here ?

AFAIK (which is not much) number 17 would have to turn right earlier and come around the back of the other craft in an anti clockwise direction.

The Tag Heuer guy that got his timing wrong and the dude that drank too much Nespresso and thought he could fly.

Team New Zealand are on port tack. Oracle on Starboard. Port always gives way to starboard, so New Zealand are in the wrong. Rules are different for power boats. Power should always give way to sail and pass port to port when meeting (as per the give way diagram)

What's really confusing about the clip, is that both boats are sailing downwind. They don't go directly downwind, but tack downwind at about 225 degrees (180 + 45) to the true wind direction.

With the foils and wing masts, they can approach 50 knots (~100km/h) before the foils start to cavitate. At this speed the apparent wind moves so far forward, that they can sheet their sails all the way in, hence it looked like they were sailing upwind when I first saw the clip.

Out of interest, if you let a balloon go at the top mark, these boats will beat it to the bottom mark. I think their course made good directly downwind is about 1.5* the windspeed. Some ice yachts can get well over 2*

Edited by stratus5

Team New Zealand are on port tack. Oracle on Starboard. Port always gives way to starboard, so New Zealand are in the wrong. Rules are different for power boats. Power should always give way to sail and pass port to port when meeting (as per the give way diagram)

What's really confusing about the clip, is that both boats are sailing downwind. They don't go directly downwind, but tack downwind at about 225 degrees (180 + 45) to the true wind direction.

With the foils and wing masts, they can approach 50 knots (~100km/h) before the foils start to cavitate. At this speed the apparent wind moves so far forward, that they can sheet their sails all the way in, hence it looked like they were sailing upwind when I first saw the clip.

Out of interest, if you let a balloon go at the top mark, these boats will beat it to the bottom mark. I think their course made good directly downwind is about 1.5* the windspeed. Some ice yachts can get well over 2*

100 bazillion percent. It's pretty easy to remember - Port / Starboard = PS. left hand side of the boat is Port right is Starboard. Oracle had the right to call Starboard as they were on starboard tack (manning the starboard side of the boat) or an easier way - the wind is coming from starboard.

It gets far more complicated than that on racing though.

100 bazillion percent. It's pretty easy to remember - Port / Starboard = PS. left hand side of the boat is Port right is Starboard. Oracle had the right to call Starboard as they were on starboard tack (manning the starboard side of the boat) or an easier way - the wind is coming from starboard.

It gets far more complicated than that on racing though.

There is an easier way to remember!

How much port is left in the bottle? :thumbup: