Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rooikat was the successor to this vehicle

http://www.sa-transport.co.za/military/army/eland-90_jd03.JPG

For a while they mounted that 90mm turret on a Ratel Chassis and it doubled as a troop carrier come recconaisance vehicle.

The Rooikat was well advanced for it's time, and can only cringe to think how badly the defence force decay has rendered this and many other vehicle's operationally useless.

This one on Gillooly's is probably brken down and no one knows how to fix it ! 

Edited by Skott5

Did my training in that! That 90mm was something else. Rumour had it you had to stop to fire it otherwise it would strip the gearbox and you couldn't fire it sideways as it would topple the car over! We never tried it though. It was ***-en-hare in the turret when that thing went off... Also the carburetors on those Chevy motors were always stolen as it was a Webber double barrel down-draught or something like that...

For a while they mounted that 90mm turret on a Ratel Chassis and it doubled as a troop carrier come recconaisance vehicle.

The Rooikat was well advanced for it's time, and can only cringe to think how badly the defence force decay has rendered this and many other vehicle's operationally useless.

This one on Gillooly's is probably brken down and no one knows how to fix it !

Noddy? I think that's what they called this one?

Noddy? I think that's what they called this one?

Correct, Noddy Car, based on the French Panhard chassis.

For those that have not yet read Battle on the Lomba by David Mannall, do so, the Ratel and tactics employed in that battle is extensively discussed.

Did my training in that! That 90mm was something else. Rumour had it you had to stop to fire it otherwise it would strip the gearbox and you couldn't fire it sideways as it would topple the car over! We never tried it though. It was ***-en-hare in the turret when that thing went off... Also the carburetors on those Chevy motors were always stolen as it was a Webber double barrel down-draught or something like that...

Noddy Car, had a Chev and tried to get an engine from the mechs for my car. Weber twin carb, that engine in the little Firenza was awesome. I used to joke that when the tank was less than a quarter, you couldn't floor it, as it wouldn't get enough fuel.