I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

In case anyone ever wondered about the very first flight from Europe to South Africa.....it was rather eventful. We sure have come a long way in just a hundred years. Here's the story and a picture of the plane:

Flight to the Cape (1920)

Early in 1920 the British Air Ministry declared the "Cape to Cairo" air route, which provided for 24 aerodrome and 19 emergency landing strips, fit for use. The London Times announce that it would finance the first flight to the Cape and its aircraft - a Vickers Vimy Commercial, G-EAAV- took to the air on 24 January 1920.

General J.C. Smuts however wanted South African aviators to be the first to complete the trip. He therefore authorised the purchase of a Vickers Vimy at a cost of 4 500 pounds. Christened the Silver Queen, and commanded by Lt Col H.A. (Pierre) van Ryneveld with Fit Lt Quinton Brand as co-pilot, the aircraft took off from Brooklands (England) on February 1920. After an eventful night crossing of the Mediterranean, they arrived at Derna the following morning. Further night flying following in an attempt to catch the Vickers Vimy sponsored by the London Times, but the Silver Queen was wrecked in a force landing at Korosko, Sudan.

Another Vimy F8615 was purchased from the RAF at Heliopolis into which the original engines were installed. The Silver Queen II (as the second aircraft was named) left Cairo on 22 February. Five days later the Times contender was destroyed in a crash at Tabora, but on 6 March the same fate befell the Silver Queen II at Bulawayo.

Fortunately, with some of the Imperial Gift aircraft already in Pretoria, a DH9 H5646 called Voortrekker was assembled and flown to Bulawayo. Thus Van Ryneveld and Brand were able to complete their flight to the Cape where the arrived on 20 March 1920 after a total flying time of 109 hours and 30 minutes.

third time lucky?!

• Replies 78.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/colorado-front-range/725536d1348272545-friday-bike-meme-thread-seesaw-bike_o_1698.jpg