• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't matter where the parents were born. They've been born, raised, schooled and sported in France. That makes them very French, regardless of descent.

Well sure, if you want to play, I'll play  :P

If you and your wife, Mrs Piet Poggenpoel, move to Japan, for instance, and have children there, are they automatically Japanese? Or were they just born in Japan? 

or

If you meet the lovely Miu Fuurinji from Japan, and bring her over to live with you in Riviersonderend, where your children are born and raised, are they South African? Half South African and half Japanese?

Reason I'm asking (and think maybe we should create a separate thread for this) is I think culture, heritage, nationality, race, etc are more complicated than simply where you are born.

For instance: I have two friends who got married and moved to Taiwan a while ago. They had two kids while they were there and they have permanent residency. The kids have been raised there and go to a government school. They can speak, read and write fluent Chinese, English and Afrikaans.

But if you ask they parents they would most definitely not agree that the kids are Taiwanese.

Well sure, if you want to play, I'll play :P

If you and your wife, Mrs Piet Poggenpoel, move to Japan, for instance, and have children there, are they automatically Japanese? Or were they just born in Japan?

or

If you meet the lovely Miu Fuurinji from Japan, and bring her over to live with you in Riviersonderend, where your children are born and raised, are they South African? Half South African and half Japanese?

Reason I'm asking (and think maybe we should create a separate thread for this) is I think culture, heritage, nationality, race, etc are more complicated than simply where you are born.

For instance: I have two friends who got married and moved to Taiwan a while ago. They had two kids while they were there and they have permanent residency. The kids have been raised there and go to a government school. They can speak, read and write fluent Chinese, English and Afrikaans.

But if you ask they parents they would most definitely not agree that the kids are Taiwanese.

But that's just it. They are.

Descent is just an accident of location. That's why labels (in my opinion) are idiotic.

Yes, by all means be true to who you are and recognise your past. But also don't let that be a descriptor of who you are.

But yes. This is a topic for another thread, and one I'm quite happy to continue and entertain other viewpoints with.

But that's just it. They are.

Descent is just an accident of location. That's why labels (in my opinion) are idiotic.

Yes, by all means be true to who you are and recognise your past. But also don't let that be a descriptor of who you are.

But yes. This is a topic for another thread, and one I'm quite happy to continue and entertain other viewpoints with.

Yebo. I think identity is so much more complex than where you are born (and it's a fascinating topic!), but it's also a discussion that can not be summarised in a post or two while doing it justice.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Yebo. I think identity is so much more complex than where you are born (and it's a fascinating topic!), but it's also a discussion that can not be summarised in a post or two while doing it justice.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Yeah it can go on and on, just like, is it the EFF or ANC that claims all white, indian and coloured people are not South Africa? ( I do stand corrected)

Yeah it can go on and on, just like, is it the EFF or ANC that claims all white, indian and coloured people are not South Africa? ( I do stand corrected)

Identity politics, like populism, is one of the lowest form of political reasoning.  It is common in countries where there has been war, poor education and opportunistic politicians.  It is the politics of the gut rather than the brain.  The final conclusion is to slowly define the "them" with more and more detail until the "us" remains to be the clan and the family.

Typical example is the EFF (ummm).  It started with the simple white-black divide, and when that no longer was enough (largely because the whites were just so apologetic about being white) then a new enemy had to be created and a new animal farm (analogy here folk)  had to be found and suddenly not all "black" were oppressed equally and the new enemy was the Indians.  When Durban is burnt to the ground then it will be the coloureds (mixed races) and finally the Zulu, Xhosa, Tswana ext.......

bloody petrolheads!!!!!

tell me, is there a local variant of this at Grandwest?

if not, why not? uh mean they used to have a racetrack there

bloody petrolheads!!!!!

Funny that ... the "old Goodwood Showgrounds" used to host racing, and the "real Goodwood" still does do racing.

Now there were meant to be 2 x electric cars racing at Goodwood (The real one :P) too ... I missed their runs up the hill.

BTW I was racing electric cars with my boys over the weekend ... there is a scalextric store at the old PnP oppose Bayside in Table View where they did the Nationals recently .... what a bit of fun with them being open to the public to come racing.....boy's loved it.

bloody petrolheads!!!!!

Only know about the knysna hillclimb.

Need one in gauteng. Couple of hills I can think of.

But Goodwood is a celebration of the racecar, in all it’s forms... even drifting

Electric cars were mind boggling, but just does not sound right...if this is where cars are going... I am dreading to see how we are going to end up having sex, those cars are technological marvels, but lack the passion that a internal combustion engine has.

Only know about the knysna hillclimb.

Need one in gauteng. Couple of hills I can think of.

But Goodwood is a celebration of the racecar, in all it’s forms... even drifting

Electric cars were mind boggling, but just does not sound right...if this is where cars are going... I am dreading to see how we are going to end up having sex, those cars are technological marvels, but lack the passion that a internal combustion engine has.

a self driving electric kombi with curtains could lead to lots of fun