• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Majka is so lucky Naesen wasn't riding with disk brakes. Imagine the damage that would have caused.

TBH I can't imagine the damage disk brakes would have caused, because there's no indication that a disk would have come anywhere near him.

In fact, I have yet to see evidence that disks cause injuries to the extent that people should fear them. This concern about disk brakes is a bit like the concerns people use to express about seat-belts when they first appeared (I'll be trapped in my car when I crash into the river!").

Personally, I've not been hurt by a disk brake, but I have been "chain-sawed" in the leg by my own chain-ring in a crash. That one did hurt, I can tell you.

Majka is so lucky Naesen wasn't riding with disk brakes. Imagine the damage that would have caused.

Majka is also lucky he was in the big chainring. That could have gotten proper ugly if Naesen was a bit lower!

TBH I can't imagine the damage disk brakes would have caused, because there's no indication that a disk would have come anywhere near him.

In fact, I have yet to see evidence that disks cause injuries to the extent that people should fear them. This concern about disk brakes is a bit like the concerns people use to express about seat-belts when they first appeared (I'll be trapped in my car when I crash into the river!").

Personally, I've not been hurt by a disk brake, but I have been "chain-sawed" in the leg by my own chain-ring in a crash. That one did hurt, I can tell you.

Phew, so it’s not just me… I also didn’t understand what the issue with the disc brakes would be?

Phew, so it’s not just me… I also didn’t understand what the issue with the disc brakes would be?

agreed. 

Well if it does become a safety concern, they could always develop a little carbon fibre gaurd to cover the edges of the disc. Hmmmmm, thinking of all my mtb crashes.... Didnt get sliced once by a disc

Ride your road bike to the top then get your missus to hand you your mtb (fitted with faaaat slicks) and smash it down!

Reminds me of the Redbull Road Rage had a few years ago. They wanted to see who could descend a tarred mountain pass the quickest. They invited downhillers, xc racers and roadies.

Most of the dh guys fitted slicks to their dh bikes and wore full dh gear.

The first winner in 2005:

MTB Legent Myles Rockwell on a stock standard GT road bike.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull_Road_Rage

You can be quicker on your road bike!

Tongue in cheek comment from LWB, following the ruckus last year or the year before, when a rider got "sliced open by a disc rotor" after a crash in the peleton.

Edited by Wannabe

Tongue in cheek comment from LWB, following the ruckus last year or the year before, when a rider got "sliced open by a disc rotor" after a crash in the peleton.

At least you got it. Should have used comic sans.

Ooooohhh.

Sorry. I geddit now.

Ever touched a disc brake after extensive use (downhill on MTB, for those of us who do actually use brakes on downhills sometimes)?  I can tell you, never again...

(yes I know - not quite the same on road bike)

Ever touched a disc brake after extensive use (downhill on MTB, for those of us who do actually use brakes on downhills sometimes)?  I can tell you, never again...

(yes I know - not quite the same on road bike)

I haven't, because I know how hot discs get on racing cars...

But I get what you mean.

I haven't, because I know how hot discs get on racing cars...

But I get what you mean.

doesnt even need to be a race car to get hot, touch a disc on an ordinary road car after coming to a stop and legal speeds and you'll also feel the pain. (its just so much more pain after a few laps of a race track though)