I seriously suck with hills, but why?

14 weeks is not a long time to train.

It takes about 18 months of regular 4+ days a week riding to develop the muscles needed.

Ride often , ride lots, and although the hills will never get any easier you will go up them faster

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm chilled but seriously being an average adult weight does not make one fat ;)

guy asked for advice and that comment was out of order. period.

The best way to climb better is to climb more. Since I started mtb 14months ago I told myself I love hills and climbing. Except for training, fuel, technique etc, its also a big mental challenge that you have to win from the start. I lost 21kg in 6 months, now on 86kg with 7% body fat. I made peace with the fact that I will never get down to 80kg or less. Theres just no more fat to loose. Oh yes, I'm 32year.

So the next step for me was getting stronger, fitter and winning the mental battle. I also quickly realize that with mountain biking it not all just about leg strength, full body strength and core strength is just as if not more important to power yourself up those lovely technical climbs.

And please remember, core strength is not having a six pack of abs. Core muscles are the ones you cant see. And its also important to exercise your core muscle to keep your body steady. I see so many guys training their core to move instead of using static core exercises like planks, renegade rows, standing ball slams etc etc.

In terms of full body strength. The normal gym program sitting on a bench doing dumbbell curls, or lying down doing bench press or leg extensions etc, is not gonna get you far with mountain biking. You have to teach your muscles to work together not in isolation. Your a mtb'er not a body builder.

In terms of training leg strength and fitness on the bike or even on a spinning bike. Your answer is intervals. You can get a lot more done in very little time.

Start with shorter climbs, lets say 200m at 7%. Ride that hill 4-6 times at 80% max HR. If you get interval 3 and get up that hill on or under 80%, stop and go home, your done for the day. Make sure that you recover in full between the intervals, HR below 50% of max.

And VERY VERY important, is recovery after training. Its almost more important than the training itself.

I can write a book about all of this. But rather, send me PM and will give you lot more detailed info and also help you with training program, exercises and nutritional tips. And no I'm not gonna charge you. I share my knowledge for the love of the sport. A lot of my friends have made massive improvements using my training techniques.

Myself, in my 14months of mtb'ing I have managed to get in the top 10% of all of almost all the races I'm competing in. And Ive had some bad luck with crashes keeping me off the bike for 8weeks and 6 weeks respectively. Best result is 2nd in vori berg 30km and 3rd place at vori berg 60km.

Im now aiming for top 5% position for the rest of the year.

PM me if you want to know more.

Guest agteros

Roboluke,

Do not let the punks get to you. I'm in the 40+ category, weigh around 80kg(Generally just over that), and is about 1.76 tall. Body fat% according to the gym machines of about 18/19%. Nobody will call me fat when they see me ;)

Be patient with the training, just keep it consistent, and when you do not have the time to cycle,go for a run (It need not be a lung buster). Give it a few months and you'll be amazed at your increased capacity for training.

A big part (for me) of hills is technique. Just like with a car, you need to change gears before you get bogged down in the wrong gear. Pick gears BEFORE the hill starts, and keep the momentum from the preceding down hill/flat rolling into the hill,and yes SPIN those pedals (Your knees will thank you too!)

PS: I started gaining the most from my training when I started running 50+km a week ;)

Ive had some bad luck with crashes keeping me off the bike for 8weeks and 6 weeks respectively

For Mtb, technical skills are often overlooked and all the training goes into fitness and speed. Make an effort to learn bike handling skills too, it'll reduce the number of silly crashes big time. If you do nothing else, learn to track stand to improve balance.

(Sorry, I know it's got nothing to do with climbing.)

Some great advice here!

To me climbing is in the mind - change how you approach hills. To me there is nothing more satisfying (on a bike that is) than approaching a tough hill a fighting your way to the top.

One thing I can add to the thread is PRACTICE. Find a hill / climb and ride it a few times. I like to find a hill that is at least 20km away from the start point so after wrecking myself of the hill I have to some how make it home.

The more you ride hills the better you will get at them. You will find what you prefer when climbing, spinning wheels, standing, grinding, whatever. You will also then learn which gears you should be in.

Once you get to the top, you know you can so go back down and do it again.

I am also a huge believer in the Rowing machine in gym. Done properly at a speed of 20 rpm and 500m split of 1.55 you can develop some serious leg power fast. The slower cadence requires you to train the explosive leg power and after a couple of minutes your heart rate will spike too. If you have not rowed before, find someone to show you how because in order to get the benefits in your legs and lower back you must have good technique.

Can't remember which issue of the Bicycling mag it was in some months ago, but helped me plenty in the climbing department...get strong, find a line and then pick a gear!(Some pro...check the site, perhaps its still there?)

So now I pick a gear as soon as the line is ID'd, keep the heart rate in check and work that baby!

As climbing burn the muscle I use active recovery on the flats for the first few minutes thereafter and this keeps me going.

Don't get frustrated brother, keep at it!

Dude...

Just RIDE MORE, and LOVE it.

Or move to KZN. If you ain't dead within the first week, then you will live to climb a stronger day.

***Pfft, Northern Farm ______________________^_____________________ ..._____^......!

Bla, bla, bla.

Climbing is just like music.

It is allllllllllllllllllllllllll abouth the rhythem. Find your own and keep to it.

PS: Not evryone is a climber. Don't beat yourself up to much about it.

Seriously okes, lighten up, sheesh. Its a dude, i'm sure he can take someone on a forum telling him he's slightly heavy to be considered a climber. FFS, most of you are men, not a bunch of teenage girls!

I jog in the week but this a good point. How many hours of training is required to ride places like Teak with enjoyment and some reasonable speed?

get hold of Maryks in the training and nutrition section tell her what you want to achieve and she will send you a program it will cost a few hundred bucks but it will be money well spent

you seem to have the discipline and you're not fat what a load of bollocks if you follow a program and maybe set yourself a goal of doing a race you will drop another 10 kgs

the other thing is if you can do some road cycling( road bikelekker big gears to turn) definitely makes the legs stronger

Last bit of advice learn to love the climbs ...

Agree - chill big time! :blush:

"Fat" is relative. 90kg is skinny for a sumo-wrestler, but "fat" for an average-length bike rider.

Period...

Thanx guys for the encouragement and time taken to write suggestions down. In about an hour I try the techniques although the weight loss suggestions wont be implemented today ;-)

On a seperate but relevant topic - I must say that I come from a sport (21 years) that is so hard to master that you cannot do it on your own without mentorship. There is no attitude between paragliding pilots. From the beginners to the 'groot honde'...no bickering no giving snotty comments to people asking help. No talking down on someones gear, their fears, their lack of talent or skills. The group will turn their back on poor attitude and that person will not progress anymore. I find this cycling thing where (some) people get offended/personal on something trivial like 26/29er foreign. Where (some) people look down on newbies. In any case - I will keep on asking the obvious questions because (some) people may give me stick, most people here will contribute to my life in a positive way and I love the sport. Robo

Well done Robo. Well said. :thumbup:

When you come to Paulpietersburg to paraglide (Mountain of wonders) give me shout.

Later.

I'm 93, 6.1"

Andy Schleck is 6.1 and his weight is 68kgs.Yes he is skinny but so all all the other top riders.

Weight plays a big part in climbing well.I know as i am heavy and battle on the hills.I do the same training as my riding partners but in a race they are gone on the long hills.

I'm no expert but you need to structure your training better.

Start with 12 weeks of base training - which will provide just that - a base that you can use to build more advanced training on.

I've found a very good website that explains all the phases that you should include in your plan.

TACX Website

Keep in mind that this is an endurance sport - bottom line is that you must spend more time in the saddle. Only weekends not nearly enough.