Action Photo - Rip Off???

Cycling Addict

I dont want a photo of me with an orange sticker on my head, so havent bought one.

I think if its a one-off, R50 is fine. I think it'd be pretty vain to be getting photos with stickers on your head for more than 1 a year.

ActionPhoto are still in business so maybe they know what they are doing. Bulk processing for petty vanities is good enough.

The only photos I've got of me were done by Jacques Marais - brilliant guy as well as photographer. Couldnt have been much of a thrill for him, but maybe there was a challenge in making me look (halfway) good.

Actually he's a fantastic photographer, check out his site http://jacquesmarais.co.za/

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i got some nice pics from photobay.co.za 100 miler only R25 :thumbup:

Thanks Hagar. For an extra R50 I can Photoshop the Raleigh off that bike of yours.. :lol:

post-1047-0-93072400-1307378247.jpg

• 11 months later...

pulling this old thread out of the grave. I wish event organisers would realise that ActionPhoto are beyond useless. I would love to get a nice pic or set of pics from Sani2c to complete my experience, but after looking at what is on offer from actionphoto i have lost all hope. In total they have 5 pics of me and they all look like an amateur took them - in the one pic the guy tried to use a secondary flash to light up the area and instead all you see is a flash burn (whatever you call it) in the corner of the image. Once you get past that - you look at the price - R50. I dont mind paying that - IF the photo was good. They also have a "special" to download all your photos for R320 - for 5 photos it is more cost effective to buy them individually.

how do these okes make money? because with service like that I cant see many people buying

Thanks Hagar. For an extra R50 I can Photoshop the Raleigh off that bike of yours.. laugh.gif

Photobay are the future for cycling photography ... great pics, great service and a good price to match.

I haven't ordered Argus photos for 2 years now. The prices are just crazy. Someone says its like R50 for a digital copy... R50 for someone just to point and shoot? Oh hell no.

I'll happily pay the price that Actionpics charge for their photos. They took one of me heading into the final single track on day 2 that is absolutely fantastic. The photographer caught the light perfectly and the sharpness of the focus is as perfect. That takes a fast expensive lens plus some skill and I'm happy to pay for both.

Most importantly for me is the fact that I can enter my race number and find my photos. Compare that to my races before Sani (Parys Dirtmax, USN and Route 42) where they expect you to trawl through literaly thousands of photos to find one of yourself. So those are cheaper at R30 per digital download but for an extra R20 I'm happy to pay some Actionpics staff member to do the trawling for me.

I find it a pity though, if you want to purchase photos from several different events, then you need to pay a premium for the pics, and even if you take 10 photos from 10 different events and checkout once, the cost does not get discounted the same way it does if its 10 photos from 1 event. Their website model needs an adjustment to sort this out, as it remains too expensive otherwise.

I haven't ordered Argus photos for 2 years now. The prices are just crazy. Someone says its like R50 for a digital copy... R50 for someone just to point and shoot? Oh hell no.

Just point and shoot - really? So the following costs them nothing?:

1. Camera, lens/es, data cards etc
  2. Photographer's time and travel costs
  3. Hardware and storage costs
  4. Bandwidth
  5. Website
  6. Backoffice staff
  7. Rent

I could go on and on.

In 20 years time trust me you're going to wish you'd spent the equivalent of a double cheese burger to be able to see a picture of your younger, fitter self taking part in something as fantastic as Argus.

Just point and shoot - really? So the following costs them nothing?:

1. Camera, lens/es, data cards etc
  2. Photographer's time and travel costs
  3. Hardware and storage costs
  4. Bandwidth
  5. Website
  6. Backoffice staff
  7. Rent

I could go on and on.

In 20 years time trust me you're going to wish you'd spent the equivalent of a double cheese burger to be able to see a picture of your younger, fitter self taking part in something as fantastic as Argus.

All the best equipment in the world is useless in unskilled/talented hands.

I'll happily pay the price that Actionpics charge for their photos. They took one of me heading into the final single track on day 2 that is absolutely fantastic. The photographer caught the light perfectly and the sharpness of the focus is as perfect. That takes a fast expensive lens plus some skill and I'm happy to pay for both.

as opposed to this

http://www.actionphoto.net/raceimages/sani2c_2012-/large/sani2c_2012-5075203/DSC_8530.JPG

Standing by what I mentioned on the previous page.

Jetline have bought out Action Photo, so it must be they see the value. They seem to be attempting the same sort of formulae for shooting that Sportograf adopt.

However, using off camera flash is practiced skill and using it for high volume stuff is a going to be a huge challenge.

Just bought 4 x digital photo's from actionphoto for sani and I don't think any of them are in real focus. I may as well used my iphone would have been better......... :mellow:

Dont generally buy the pics but would be nice to have 1 of crossing the sani2c floating bridge - at the end of the day I guess they can charge what they want as there is no other option - why not charge a set fee and give the customer all of their pics - at the end of the day the work has already been done and throwing in a few extra pics will surely sweeten the deal? (and not cost the photographer anything)

They do have a bulk option where you get all your photos - however in my case as I only had 5, it worked out more expensive.

Also bought 4 digitals....had 11 to choose from though, maybe there were more photos taken in the race????

1 x over pg bison floating bridge on day1(we got one free printed copy anyway of that, but my mom scooped it)

1 x coming down the umko valley day2

1 x coming out of highflats on day2(awesome pic).

1 x me, partner and farmer.

198 bucks I think...printing them this weekend and going on the beer fridge...done!