Neil's Wheels did it again !!!

Mad Dog

"The internet had gone offline."

All of it?

The words of a weasel, ask any debt collection firm how many times they hear that one.

Still smelling rats, I am afraid. We have seen promises from this gent before, and business carried on as usual. I am not convinced things will change this time either.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Better start pedalling fella!! .. going to be a long road to untarnish your name /business on the hub. GL , prove yourself..

The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.

Good luck with your new start !!! :unsure:

It's commendable that Neil is addressing the problem. I don't think that any of us is concerned about the older bikes that have been sitting in a garage for years - those old Pugeots and the like need new homes (fixies!). I know of another bike shop that threw away a Hansom frame simply because they didn't want to be accused of dealing in stolen bikes. I'm not sure which is worse.

It's the more expensive, modern bikes that have been the difficulty. Taking them on consignment is a wise idea. I think Avron works that way, and it seems more reliable.

Having met the staff, I can't but say that they do bother me. I can easily see them swopping parts in the workshop without anything being noticed, and then selling/trading or otherwise making money off them. I'd imagine that most customers are casual cyclists who wouldn't know or understand groupsets and simply take what they're given. Do they ever bring bikes in themselves: "There's a cousin of a guy I know who wants to sell this bike", or do they know the people who bring these bikes in? If so, there's one of your big problems.

I also think it might be an idea to document things more accurately. A basic digital camera (about R700)would help - even a picture of the seller, to go along with a copy of his ID book. Also, if staff are ripping parts off, it'll be possible to see and trace the extent of the theft.

In truth, I would like to be able to buy there with confidence. There are a lot of older parts I'd love to get my hands on. If I knew the process was more trustworthy, I would do it.

Neil, it would be good if you kept us updated more regularly. I think good communication is the most necessary part of building a business - witness how Chris Willemse does it.

You could play an enormously important role in helping trace stolen bikes. Even by re-uniting one owner with his pride and joy would begin to gain the goodwill and support of Hubbers. We're not against you personally but there have just been too many stolen bikes going through one gateway.

Hope this helps a bit.

Better start pedalling fella!! .. going to be a long road to untarnish your name /business on the hub. GL , prove yourself..

First thing this morning, I informed my staff that we will no longer be buying used bikes. We will still take on trade-ins, and take bikes on consignment. We will take a pic of each bike that comes in this way, and post the details on this forum (if the editor of The Hub will allow this), and I'm pretty sure that in an effort to stop illegal activity, he will do this.

In reply to a previous post, there is one person who was arrested and taken into custody in connection with a stolen bike where we were able to help the police in their investigation.

Second thing this morning, I painted over the sign outside the shop which states that "We buy good quality road and mountain bikes" I painted over the "We buy", so the sign now only says "Good quality road and mountain bikes"

First thing this morning, I informed my staff that we will no longer be buying used bikes. We will still take on trade-ins, and take bikes on consignment. We will take a pic of each bike that comes in this way, and post the details on this forum (if the editor of The Hub will allow this), and I'm pretty sure that in an effort to stop illegal activity, he will do this.

In reply to a previous post, there is one person who was arrested and taken into custody in connection with a stolen bike where we were able to help the police in their investigation.

Second thing this morning, I painted over the sign outside the shop which states that "We buy good quality road and mountain bikes" I painted over the "We buy", so the sign now only says "Good quality road and mountain bikes"

Its not for The Hub to deciede how you operate your business, its for you to stop whats been going on. All of the stuff you mentioned above should have been done anyway.

It's a start I agree, don't think you need to stop dealing in 2nd hand bike completely though, just need to be more thourgh in getting details and make sure your staff do the same, get the word out.

You are still not answering the questions directly.

Edited by Caerus

I don't care whats this guys excuse is, we all must go and toi toi outside his shop until they close it down!Blerrie skellem :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I think you're right, he is - but we have to be far more certain before chasing off on specific allegations. Just like the fool person who took the police round to the guy's house having followed him home, only to find the bike was his. It's ridiculous behaviour imo.

Hey Joe Low, just a quick Q are you talking about me?

Hey Joe Low, just a quick Q are you talking about me?

I forget who it was but apologies if it was you; I can see I expressed myself too strongly and have amended the original post. Weds was pmt day :blush:

Edited by Joe Low

This bike came in today

Any comments?

Neil

No, but I can see your credibility in the basket and your dignity in the bin.

I had a Fuel Teamline road bike stolen out my garage recently, if it shows up please let me know.

Neil - how much for the purple bike?