Build-a-Bike - Enriching the lives of the less fortunate

divernick

I can almost assemble a road bike now. All I need are 9-sp shifters (STI), pedals, stem, bars, bar tape, cables and brakes.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any drop off point in Durban and surrounds? Got some stuff ready for delivery.

Hopefully not a bike hoist!?

+1. I also have the remains from my conversion so single speed to add.\

Maybe we should organise some collection point in CT?

Lemme know where the collection point can be, and I'll gladly donate a few spare parts.

I will gladly offer to build and supply whatever cables are needed.

Thanks Dangle! Much appreciated. I'll build up what I can and come to you for cables.

Are there any bike shops in Durbs and Cape Town that would like to volunteer as drop off points for parts for this initiative? Once we have some parts collected I'll arrange for collection.

I think this is an amazing thing that you are doing, well done.

Out of interest (and I am sure you have probably already thought of this and have your reasons) why are you going to be giving the bikes away and not letting people "earn" them so they appreciate them more and give something back in return? I'm not talking anything major but something like if you're going to be giving a bike to a local kid for example get them to pick up 10 bags of litter in return... something along those lines. Just a thought.

Anyway if you establish a collection point in Durban I've got some bits and bobs that I can donate. You might want to try Marty's Cycles in Hillcrest to act as a collection point. I've chatted to Marty a few times and he seems like a genuinly nice bloke who might be up for something like this.

Well done again.

Cheers

I can almost assemble a road bike now. All I need are 9-sp shifters (STI), pedals, stem, bars, bar tape, cables and brakes.

Why don't you build a road bike with straight handle bars and use MTB shiters, the shifters aren't that scarce?

I think this is an amazing thing that you are doing, well done.

Out of interest (and I am sure you have probably already thought of this and have your reasons) why are you going to be giving the bikes away and not letting people "earn" them so they appreciate them more and give something back in return? I'm not talking anything major but something like if you're going to be giving a bike to a local kid for example get them to pick up 10 bags of litter in return... something along those lines. Just a thought.

Anyway if you establish a collection point in Durban I've got some bits and bobs that I can donate. You might want to try Marty's Cycles in Hillcrest to act as a collection point. I've chatted to Marty a few times and he seems like a genuinly nice bloke who might be up for something like this.

Well done again.

Cheers

Thanks, much appreciated, I'll contact them.

To be honest I have not decided 100% on a distribution strategy as yet. I know there are a few "development" cycling clubs that I could donate to as well as other charities. One idea is to approach corporates to sponsor money for parts like chains etc and let them nominate an employee who needs a bike for commuting.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Well done in your effort to do something like this :thumbup:

You can always ask Neels Wheels to sponsor you a "sponsored" carbon bike fully built with all the latest components :lol:

Just a thought.Have a 110mm over sized stem if you want it.

Well done in your effort to do something like this :thumbup:

You can always ask Neels Wheels to sponsor you a "sponsored" carbon bike fully built with all the latest components :lol:

Just a thought.Have a 110mm over sized stem if you want it.

Nah, none of the components will match and there'll probably be a Suntour fork on the carbon frame....wouldn't do....

Thanks, I'd really appreciate the stem. Can you send it up to me? I'll PM my address.

Hopefully not a bike hoist!?

Still waiting. Will come tomorrow and then I get one bike out of the kitchen!

I am collecting parts for a MTB bike build that I am going to donate to someone who will use it to ride to work instead of having to pay taxi fares or walk. I am going to document the process here on theHub and on my blog website (still to be developed).

All contributors will be credited, sponsoring businesses will be listed and links posted.

If all goes to plan, this will not be a once-off project and something that I (and anyone else) can run with as a community upliftment project.

This is how I envision the process going:

1. Get donor parts from Hubbers (parts list below)

2. Build Bike

3. Identify suitable candidate to receive bike via theHubSA nominations or other means

4. Donate bike to suitable candidate / charity

5. Encourage bicycle commuting in SA by submitting a press release to all major media on the story....

WIN WIN WIN situation.

I am looking for parts donations for the following:

Tyres & Tubes

Wheels (26" front wheel donated by me)

Brakes & Levers

Frame & forks (MTB for durability I think would be best)

Saddle

Handlebars

Grips

Cables

Cassette

Derailleurs

Shifters

Seatpost and clamp

Stem

Bicycle lock

Lights and reflectors for commuting

Any other parts that might work....

As parts come in I'll update this list with specifics, sizes etc.

I am open to suggestions and comments. I'd like to kick this off as soon as possible. I am already working on a website concept.

Let's get the ball rolling! Let me know what unwanted old parts you have lying around!

i've built 3 bikes like this for the same reason. people actually don't realise the benefit this provides the lucky guy who gets the bike.

Our Gardenologist (Garden Boy just doesn't sound right anymore) used to pay R 14.50 / day on taxi fees X average 30 day month = R R 435.00 / month or nearly 3.5 days wages - may not sound like a lot of money but to him it was a huge amount. the best part is he uses the bike every day and looks after it like it was a porche. And all this from my first steel frame GIANT MTB which was collecting dust for years in my garage.

In fact if you drive up Moddefrontein road in the mornings, you will be surprised how many of these guys have got bikes and are cycling to work, it starting to look like the 94.7. up there.

Imagine the impact we could have if every Hubber built and donated 1 bike a year as his social contribution to the greater society, all from donated pieces we all have lying around the garage.